Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Marvel to Reprint Dark Horse's "Star Wars" Comics Starting in April 2015

The first "Star Wars Legends Epic Collection" will include "Star Wars: Dark Times," "Star Wars: Darth Vader and the Lost Command" and more.

Full article here.

Just as long as they give credit to Dark Horse, I'm fine with this, especially if that Marvel name can get people to read these books. Hopefully they reprint the whole run of Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic (Bioware version). Didn't read all the run but the first arc is one of the best Star Wars stories I've ever read.

Senior Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Looks like this will be the first Epic Collection to be printing stuff from 2000s/10s, and to be printed on glossy paper. What I heard previously around the announcement of the licence changeover is that Marvel would have to pay Dark Horse for the original image files of Dark Horse's Star Wars work - so either they've worked a deal out or that was misreported.

Interestingly, the Epic Collection is the same length as Dark Horse's Omnibus format, but in the original comic size rather than the digest-sized Omnibuses.

I won't be buying this as it's a fairly random collection (they could have grouped the Darth Vader stories into one collection, for example) and I've read the original Purge one-shot, the first two collections of Dark Times and The Last Command, but it's good to see this out there for fans who might have missed Dark Horse's work. Awesome to see Republic #78-80 here though, as #78 was never given a proper place in TPB form, instead grouped together with a 3-parter, Honor and Duty, focusing on Obi-Wan and Anakin pre-AOTC.

That's a weird selection for the first volume, only because many of the "Purge" and "Darth Vader and..." comics were set between arcs of "Dark Times." If volume 2 has all of "Dark Times," it'll read oddly.

Plus, I just bought both "Dark Times" Omnibi and I need to pick up the three Clone Wars volumes. A lack of unified trade dress on my shelf would be weird.

Quote Originally Posted by America / Bucky / Russia View Post
    Looks like this will be the first Epic Collection to be printing stuff from 2000s/10s, and to be printed on glossy paper. What I heard previously around the announcement of the licence changeover is that Marvel would have to pay Dark Horse for the original image files of Dark Horse's Star Wars work - so either they've worked a deal out or that was misreported.

Interestingly, the Epic Collection is the same length as Dark Horse's Omnibus format, but in the original comic size rather than the digest-sized Omnibuses.

I won't be buying this as it's a fairly random collection (they could have grouped the Darth Vader stories into one collection, for example) and I've read the original Purge one-shot, the first two collections of Dark Times and The Last Command, but it's good to see this out there for fans who might have missed Dark Horse's work. Awesome to see Republic #78-80 here though, as #78 was never given a proper place in TPB form, instead grouped together with a 3-parter, Honor and Duty, focusing on Obi-Wan and Anakin pre-AOTC.
    #78 is the themeatic concluion to Honor and Duty, though. It reads weirdly if you want to find a strictly chronological spot for it on your shelf, but the overall story is about the Autem family and not Vader.

Glad to know Marvel will be reprinting Dark Horse's Star Wars material. I wonder if Marvel will also start selling their books in digital format.

Not sure why Marvel's designers were unable to center the "Legends" designator beneath the title, or properly align other cover elements. Hoperfully this is not indicative of the care they will lavish on the books.

Please tell me Marvel will re print the Darkhoses reprints of Marvel's Classic star wars.

Dark Times was really a great series and I am glad Marvel is taking note of that. The Purge one shots were also great and really showed why Vader was so feared.

Interesting, hope this might open the door for Ostrander to write Star Wars @ Marvel.
    Waiting for Tomorrow's Marvel...because 99.9% of Today's Marvel is not my bag.

Mainly I just want to see phone-book sized, black & white "Essential" TPBs released based on the Marvel era, then after that, Dark Horse. But I suppose that's probably not in the works. Oh well.

Formally: The Adventurer Jim Purcell's Avatar

Hmm. Dark Horse previously stated they actually own all the actual comics (though Lucasbooks/Disney of course own the copyrights, just not the finished product) and said that if Marvel wanted to use that content that they would have to license it from Dark Horse.

They must have made a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    That's a weird selection for the first volume, only because many of the "Purge" and "Darth Vader and..." comics were set between arcs of "Dark Times." If volume 2 has all of "Dark Times," it'll read oddly.

Plus, I just bought both "Dark Times" Omnibi and I need to pick up the three Clone Wars volumes. A lack of unified trade dress on my shelf would be weird.
    They're following the timeline listed on Wookieepedia.

Can someone give me a brief summary of Dark Times? Should i read it?

Quote Originally Posted by masksNcapes View Post
    Just as long as they give credit to Dark Horse, I'm fine with this, especially if that Marvel name can get people to read these books. Hopefully they reprint the whole run of Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic (Bioware version). Didn't read all the run but the first arc is one of the best Star Wars stories I've ever read.
    I agree. And speaking of Bioware I really hope that Marvel goes to a Bioware for a video game. (I love swtor and hate the current Marvel mmorpg)