Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Saga, #22

That sense of doom hovering overhead comes to a turning point in "Saga" #22, courtesy Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples.

Full review here.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

It was good, but I had problems with it. (8 out of 10)

I think I might have been more into this issue like a lot of the other reviewers out there if I actually cared or was invested in certain characters. As it is, one scene feel flat to me even though I recognize how effective it would be for everyone else.

Also, two things. One, I so called King Robot having a flatscreen for a head. Two, that guy at the end deserved a Darwin Award. The guy is pointing a gun at you, being extremely serious, and yet you decided to stomp towards him and kind of yelling at him? He kind of walked right into that.

I literally laughed out loud when it was revealed that Robot IV's dad is a plasma screen, via two-page spread. OF COURSE the king has a big screen head.

Rapidly rising to the top of my must-read comics. This new arc with Dengo is interesting, the whole hunter becomes hunted thing, I'm not sure where it's going, but it's a nice little element of chaos that adds to the unpredictability of the book.

This issue made me start hating Alana. Can't wait for the next one.

Yup. Definitely my "Best of the Week".
    Sun and Moon
    STORM #1...Greg Pak (W) Victor Ibanez (A/CA)...July 23rd 2014
    Those who embrace nature are in turn embraced by her.

"Oopsie, I made a universe"
    Best opening line ever

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    I wouldn't go that far, but unlike Marko, Alana doesn't demonstrate any regret for her mistakes, just excuses.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LGBoex View Post
    "Oopsie, I made a universe"
    Best opening line ever
    Bah. The greatest opening the line (also the single best line in this whole comic honestly) for the comic is: "Would one of you overgrown condom failures kindly remove the dead f**king dragon from my runway?"

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Kapit View Post
    I wouldn't go that far, but unlike Marko, Alana doesn't demonstrate any regret for her mistakes, just excuses.
    Pretty much why I really don't care for Alana remotely.

I've liked her a lot more in this arc than the last one.

Her drip husband is who I can't stand. What a passive aggressive wiener.
    the atelier

✹✹✹✹“... just as early industrial capitalism moved the focus of existence from being to having, squirrelgirl culture has moved that focus from having to superfresh” ✹✹✹✹

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post

They both need to get their respective acts together, that's for certain.

I love the fractured dynamic. This arc is zipping along much more than the previous.
    the atelier

✹✹✹✹“... just as early industrial capitalism moved the focus of existence from being to having, squirrelgirl culture has moved that focus from having to superfresh” ✹✹✹✹

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post

Have you forgotten issue 5? :O Contained some of the most violent scenes I had seen in a comic for a long while and it was all dished out by yours truly. But yes, I think Marko has become more passive aggressive, especially after breaking his sword to gain access to the rocketship. I feel like Vaughn is trying to make us hate Alana for a very important reason that will be featured soon i.e. sacrificing herself for someone or doing something that endangers herself to protect the people she loves.
    Southern Bastards, Velvet, East of West, Sex Criminals, Saga, Outcast, The Walking Dead, Trees, Low, Bodies, Lazarus, The Fade Out, In the House of the Worm, Hawkeye, Fables.

Although this arc hasn't been filled with as much violence as previous ones, it's had the most emotional impact on people it seems. Can't help but wonder whether Vaughn is slowly breaking us down so everyone doesn't go crazy when something awful happens.
    Southern Bastards, Velvet, East of West, Sex Criminals, Saga, Outcast, The Walking Dead, Trees, Low, Bodies, Lazarus, The Fade Out, In the House of the Worm, Hawkeye, Fables.

Quote Originally Posted by ysemaj View Post
    Have you forgotten issue 5? :O Contained some of the most violent scenes I had seen in a comic for a long while and it was all dished out by yours truly. But yes, I think Marko has become more passive aggressive, especially after breaking his sword to gain access to the rocketship. I feel like Vaughn is trying to make us hate Alana for a very important reason that will be featured soon i.e. sacrificing herself for someone or doing something that endangers herself to protect the people she loves.
    I could see some sort of sacrifice from Alana, just not a life one.

I could see some sort of sacrifice from Alana, just not a life one.
    Yea I wouldn't want Alana to sacrifice herself. Although she is becoming less responsible in her actions I still feel she is part of the soul of the comic. Wouldn't be the same without her.