Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Antony Johnston Blasts "The Fuse" Into Second Arc

CBR caught up with prolific writer Antony Johnston about the future of his Image Comics space-cop series "The Fuse" as the first trade launches.

Full article here.

I saw that the first trade came out this week for this and asked myself why I wasn't reading it. I didn't have an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I saw that the first trade came out this week for this and asked myself why I wasn't reading it. I didn't have an answer.
    Thanks for letting me know it is out. I have read the individual digital issues and will definately get the trade. This is a fantastic comic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
    Thanks for letting me know it is out. I have read the individual digital issues and will definately get the trade. This is a fantastic comic.
    Co-signd...its a really brilliant title.

I read the first few issues. Then I forgot to add it to the pull. It got lost with all the other awesome stuff Image has been releasing lately. I got overexcited with all the new stuff. It is a great title. I'll have to pick up the few issues I am missing and add it to the ever expanding Image pull.

Umbral is a current favorite of mine which he also writes.

All-round British person antony's Avatar

Thanks, all. Even bigger and better things to come in the world of THE FUSE, we promise
    Antony Johnston
    antonyjohnston.com

Quote Originally Posted by macattack80 View Post
    I read the first few issues. Then I forgot to add it to the pull. It got lost with all the other awesome stuff Image has been releasing lately. I got overexcited with all the new stuff. It is a great title. I'll have to pick up the few issues I am missing and add it to the ever expanding Image pull.

Hey if you like Umbral, make sure you pick up Wasteland. It's by the same creative team and it's simply terrific. I picked up the hardcovers and they're just beautiful.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Invincible, Walking Dead, Winterworld, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, The Fade Out, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Southern Bastards, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright. Giant Size Little Avx Marvel

I LOVE The Fuse and hope it goes on for numerous arcs. This is my first book from Mr. Johnston, but certainly not the last.

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    Hey if you like Umbral, make sure you pick up Wasteland. It's by the same creative team and it's simply terrific. I picked up the hardcovers and they're just beautiful.
    Thanks for the info and advice. I will have to look into that.

Found the first few issues at my LCS today.. Really love them so far.

I just read #11, the penultimate issue of this 2nd arc.
    spoilers:
    Felix is my man, I hope he was only arrested as a ploy to get the real killer to expose themselves.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by antony View Post
    Thanks, all. Even bigger and better things to come in the world of THE FUSE, we promise
    Thanks for printing my letter in #10, I geeked out hard.
    Keep up the good work.
    Also, the letter in the newest issue was saying the comic needs a recap page. I've always thought recaps would be helpful, but shouldn't be in the comic itself. Maybe put a "previously... on The Fuse" section on your website or something, with a link to the address in the comic. Maybe make it a YT clip instead of a write up, showing characters faces while a narrator quickly reminds people what happened. So the recap doesn't take up an entire page of your comic that could go towards something better.
    I also have bad memory, but don't mind re-reading the previous issue completely before jumping into a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by macattack80 View Post

Speaking of which, I read somewhere that Umbral has gone on indefinite hiatus and I was wondering if perhaps Antony could confirm or deny?
    Hellboy|Empire|BlackScience|Drifter|EastOfWest|Fad e Out|Lazarus|Low|Nameless|Saga|Tooth & Claw|Velvet|Zero|Valiant
    Batman|GreenLantern+LostArmy|JL|Sinestro
    U Avengers|Daredevil|Loki|Magneto|Secret Wars|Thor

Quote Originally Posted by havok1977 View Post
    Speaking of which, I read somewhere that Umbral has gone on indefinite hiatus and I was wondering if perhaps Antony could confirm or deny?
    From his tumblr:
    Alas.

With great sadness, we must announce that UMBRAL is going on hiatus.

This isn’t a creative decision. We all love making UMBRAL, and we know there’s a small, loyal audience out there who love reading it. You’re our kind of people, and we love you all.

But the operative word there is “small”. UMBRAL no longer has enough monthly readers to continue — in fact, it hasn’t for some months, now. We persevered, hoping things might turn around, but they haven’t. (Before you ask about trade paperback sales; they’re respectable, but not enough to make up for the monthly shortfall.)

Some critics have suggested UMBRAL would have sold better if Rascal was a boy, or even a sexy adult woman, instead of a young girl. I sincerely believe that’s not true, but even if it is, I speak for the whole team when I say: fuck that noise. We won’t play that game.

So. Hiatus? Yes, truly. If there’s a way we can somehow return to continue Rascal’s story, we promise that we will. There’s so much you still haven’t seen! Her second encounter with Black Rojyr, on the high Azqari Sea; how she discovered the lost capital of Xulinor, and the secrets she found buried within; the Mistwalker’s long path to freedom and reconciliation; the tragedy of Dalone’s true history, and what really happened at Culin’s Calamity; and more, and more, and more.

For now, those stories must remain untold.

For now, we say au revoir (never goodbye) to Rascal and Dalone, Shayim and Munty, the Oculus, the Mistwalker, and of course, the bastard Umbral themselves.

For now, we retreat into the shadows.

— Antony, Chris, Jordan, Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Maybe make it a YT clip instead of a write up, showing characters faces while a narrator quickly reminds people what happened.
    You remember how I said in the reply to that letter that doing recaps for WASTELAND was a pain in the ass? If I'd had to make videos of them, selecting panels, doing a voiceover, syncing them up in video... well, I would never have done the recaps at all

But besides that, people don't follow links any more. I'd be surprised if even half a dozen people bothered to click through. Hell, I could print a URL leading straight to a 404, and I bet it would take months before anyone bothered to mail me about it. If you're going to do a recap, it has to be in the comic, otherwise 99% of readers won't see it.

So the recap doesn't take up an entire page of your comic that could go towards something better.
    The only thing it would affect is the credits & indicia page anyway, it's not like it would be displacing anything important to the story.
    Last edited by antony; 04-15-2015 at 01:04 AM.
    Antony Johnston
    antonyjohnston.com

Quote Originally Posted by havok1977 View Post
    Afraid so, yeah.

- Here's the tumblr post in question.

- And if you're concerned the same thing might happen to THE FUSE, don't be. Here's my answer to someone asking about that.
    Antony Johnston
    antonyjohnston.com