Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Abnett Returns to Prose for Marvel's "Avengers: Everybody Wants to Rule the World"

Dan Abnett is set to return to Marvel prose novels for "Avengers: Everybody Wants to Rule the World" in 2015.

Full article here.

Is this Real Nick Fury or Fake Nick Fury?
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Nick Fury, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Count me in!

Such a badly designed cover :O
    And why are they using an homage to Astonishing X-men #1? Seems like they just picked a random image that had all the movie Avengers together.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Such a badly designed cover :O
    And why are they using an homage to Astonishing X-men #1? Seems like they just picked a random image that had all the movie Avengers together.
    I figure that is just a placeholder cover while the real cover is being done.

The cover they have now looks exactly like it was hacked out in 15 minutes with Photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Is this Real Nick Fury or Fake Nick Fury?
    This looks like an MCU thing do you need to ask?
    Pull List keeps shrinking

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I figure that is just a placeholder cover while the real cover is being done.

The cover they have now looks exactly like it was hacked out in 15 minutes with Photoshop.
    I really hope so. I can't see how the cover as it is now would attract consumers.

That really may be the ugliest cover of anything I've seen in years.

Senior Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I really hope so. I can't see how the cover as it is now would attract consumers.
    Actually, you should see the cover artwork for their prose novels. It's just reused cover artwork placed against a black background - a practice which had mixed results in their Premiere Hardcover line, so no idea why they haven't learnt not every cover needs to have a house style background.

I'd say Days of Future Past has the worst cover. Like, look at that.

I'm pretty sure these books are selling really badly too. There's no publicity, barely any reviews, which is the downside of doing it in-house where these in effect become trade paperbacks - which have no publicity except in solicitations anyway. When Marvel was giving these books to other publishers, that's where they had a) good covers and b) publicity. It can't hurt Marvel's budget that badly to be able to produce new art for these books which actually fit a book cover in its design.

(The best of these novels is probably Astonishing X-Men: Gifted by Peter David, in my opinion.)

I don't get it. How much would it actually cost them to just produce fresh covers by big name industry talent?

Please let that be a placeholder cover. It is so incredibly ugly.

I can certainly rec some of these Prose Novels, I bought Civil War and that was well done, though they tweaked about with stuff like having the OMD marriage wipe in effect already. Good selection of focus charater - Iron Man, Cap, Spidey and Invisible Woman predominantly. New Avengers: Breakout was also good when I found that in the library, though the writer changed the story quite significantly from the original to replace Sentry and Wolverine with Hawkeye and Black Widow and have it mostly be about them apparently meeting for the first time. They also do a good job of introducing Spider Woman and Luke Cage to a casual reader too. Graphic Audio has been adapting several of these books very well too too with full casts, Astonishing X-Men: Gifted was just released.

http://www.graphicaudiointernational...es/marvel.html

Do kinda wish they would include Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and Vision in here too if this is going to be released in time for the second Avengers film. Makes you wonder if there'll be any tie ins or original stories for Ant Man and Fantastic Four next year as well. I know that they're having Kraven's Last Hunt as a Prose Novel in October too.

Mixed feelings. I like Abnett's prose offerings in general, and thought the Rocket & Groot novel was great fun, but he can't really use the same approach here - that book's freewheeling stream-of-consciousness style was dependent on the particular players involved - and I don't remember him ever handling the Avengers in any context before. That can be a hell of a burden. I'll give it a whirl whenever it arrives, though.

And yeah, the cover's mince, but so was the R&G one. Just some McNiven key art they found laying around the office.

Are these original prose novels in Marvel 616 continuity or the movie continuity... or their own?

Nice to see Abnett back.