Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,503

    Default Edmondson's "Punisher" Set To Do Some Hard Time

    Nathan Edmondson discusses sentencing Frank Castle to a Central American prison while he remains the target of powerful and shadowy forces.


    Full article here.

  2. #2
    Senior Member UltimateTy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,148

    Default

    You can't keep Frank in jail. I think its cool that Edmondson is connecting all his books even though I'm only reading Punisher.
    Pull List keeps shrinking

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    You can't keep Frank in jail.
    Well nobody stays in jail in Marvel.

  4. #4
    Senior Member UltimateTy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Well nobody stays in jail in Marvel.
    who really goes to jail for doing bad shit anymore. Cyclops was in jail for what 4 issues?
    Pull List keeps shrinking

  5. #5
    Senior Member Nick Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Im ready for a new creative team.

  6. #6

    Default

    Gerad's Frank Castle reminds me a lot of the way Gorlan Parlov drew him.

    That is a very good thing.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Bionder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Frank will be in jail for at least two issues.. The cover for #12 is in L.A. I'm not going to buy other books, i'm going to stay with the Punisher and i hope Edmondson can deliver some "WOW" factor that i haven't seen for awhile...

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Im ready for a new creative team.
    Gerads can stay though. The art's been gorgeous and generally perfect for the book as far as I'm concerned.

    As far as Edmondson goes, I've got mixed feelings. Generally, I find the book to have been fun; it's a nice little military book, sort of like the Activity-lite or a Marvel Universe CoD. It's not groundbreaking or anything, but it's fun.

    The problem is that Edmondson isn't really writing Frank Castle, and that grates. Gerads DRAWS Castle very, very well and his designs are great, but while the guy certainly looks like Castle, he doesn't sound like Castle. Edmondson's writing him as this witty, dashing, even jovial man of mystery and that's just....not Frank.

    I mean, at least in Black Widow, Edmondson's Natasha is more or less recognizably Natasha.

    Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    You can't keep Frank in jail. I think its cool that Edmondson is connecting all his books even though I'm only reading Punisher.
    It's really great and I'm excited to see him work the new Deathlok into the mix. I'm glad editorial is giving him the go-ahead with this sort of thing. I think it's a great way for a new writer to generate a following. Kind of wish Marvel would stop releasing Black Widow and Punisher in the same week though. Spread it out a bit. Make it feel a bit more separate and a bit larger for those of us getting both books.
    Last edited by King's_Gambit; 08-28-2014 at 04:31 PM.

  9. #9

    Default

    It will be hard to top the "Punisher in Jail" portion of the classic Steven Grant mini.

    Personally, I have always liked the character, but I really wonder how long you can play out this story of a vigilante on his own against the criminal world without wildly repeating yourself. He either ends up dead, or in jail. He can't be victorious, because crime's never going away. You can't 'reform' him because then the book is over. If you kill him, the book is over. Where does that leave you? They've done berserk (and I'd say, ill advised) stuff like turn him into an 'angel' or whatever, and the Frankencastle thing.

    Ultimately I feel that the Punisher has always worked best as a guest star or in a limited series. In an ongoing, the thinness of the story really boxes in the writers.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Bionder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Well the way i see things is that now we have the Punisher as a star in his own book and Edmondson is doing great in all the action scenes, it's not a boring book.

    But there are things that have to improve...

    -Frank has to do unbelievable stuff like he used to show us through the years and until now i haven't seen any glimpse of it, i called it the "wow" factor;

    -Edmondson has to stay away from characters that Frank can't kill, this not only underpowers him that make him look a bit ineffective (Elektro and Crossbones);

    -I have to mention the same cycle over and over "taking a beat-captured-repeat" in 9 issues he was captured 3 times;

    - Finally, Frank isn't just a normal marine who waves the gun and shoots people, he is more than that we all know that but sometimes in this run he seems like an ordinary guy. He is an ordinary guy with no powers, but his tactical mind and his marksmanship makes all the difference in the battlefield vs everyone. Check out Punisher: War Zone by Rucka, not to mention old titles.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    It will be hard to top the "Punisher in Jail" portion of the classic Steven Grant mini.

    Personally, I have always liked the character, but I really wonder how long you can play out this story of a vigilante on his own against the criminal world without wildly repeating yourself. He either ends up dead, or in jail. He can't be victorious, because crime's never going away. You can't 'reform' him because then the book is over. If you kill him, the book is over. Where does that leave you? They've done berserk (and I'd say, ill advised) stuff like turn him into an 'angel' or whatever, and the Frankencastle thing.

    Ultimately I feel that the Punisher has always worked best as a guest star or in a limited series. In an ongoing, the thinness of the story really boxes in the writers.
    You can pretty much say the same thing about Batman, though. Hell, even moreso: his war is even more "unwinnable" since he refuses to kill his nemeses such that the Joker, Two-Face, Mr. Freeze, etc etc etc can just break out of prison and get the ball rolling all over again.

    I'd say the hopelessness of his "unwinnable war against crime" is a central concept to the character, much as it is with Batman. It's part of the character's inherently tragic nature.

  12. #12
    Welcome Back Spidey Kurolegacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    714

    Default

    In prison again? They still never even bothered to explain how he got out of the prison the Avengers left him in the last time. Or why they don't seem to care that he got out.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King's_Gambit View Post
    You can pretty much say the same thing about Batman, though. Hell, even moreso: his war is even more "unwinnable" since he refuses to kill his nemeses such that the Joker, Two-Face, Mr. Freeze, etc etc etc can just break out of prison and get the ball rolling all over again.

    I'd say the hopelessness of his "unwinnable war against crime" is a central concept to the character, much as it is with Batman. It's part of the character's inherently tragic nature.
    I think you make great points, particularly the final sentence.

    I guess I'd say that Batman has one strong factor that differs him from the Punisher in that there is at least the CHANCE of Batman 'retiring" to a life of relative obscurity, if he so chooses. Yes, I'm sure he's broken laws, but it's not like Frank who has literally thousands of straight up murders on his record. Frank's real name is pretty much publicly known, I believe, so there's no place for him to "go", save for a radical change in identity, appearance, etc.

    Secondly, Batman and his titles do benefit from a fairly large supporting cast, which can help take the burden off Batman constantly being the focus of storylines. Frank doesn't have this. He has to single handedly carry every single issue of every title he stars in. That's a huge burden, particularly when he's not going to 'evolve' much (and, admittedly, can't, if he's going to remain true to his character).

    Third, understand that I do like the character and have derived a lot of enjoyment from some of the stories. I just think there's a kind of self-defeating element inherent in his titles.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Bionder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    In prison again? They still never even bothered to explain how he got out of the prison the Avengers left him in the last time. Or why they don't seem to care that he got out.
    If they didn't explain in Thunderbolts, they will not do in this run.

    Frank's got his supporting cast in L.A. I believe we will see them again on issue #12.

  15. #15
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    Batman and his titles do benefit from a fairly large supporting cast, which can help take the burden off Batman constantly being the focus of storylines. Frank doesn't have this. He has to single handedly carry every single issue of every title he stars in. That's a huge burden, particularly when he's not going to 'evolve' much (and, admittedly, can't, if he's going to remain true to his character).
    I can't really speak for 616 Punisher, but a large portion of Punisher MAX was told from the perspective of other characters. Punisher felt like a side character in many issues, sometimes only making one or two appearances to tie everything back to him.

    I agree that Frank has a certain handicap with his books, but I think it's the same one every other character(of the 'superhero' genre) has to deal with; redundancy.

    While Punisher books may get a little repetitive, reading about a dude brutally killing bad guys will always be somewhat entertaining, not matter the quality.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •