Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Joaquin Phoenix Reportedly in Final Negotiations for "Doctor Strange"

Award-winning actor Joaquin Phoenix is rumored to be in final negotiations to star in Marvel's "Doctor Strange."

Full article here.

How bizarre.

I absolutely love him as an actor and think he'd do a brilliant job at this, but it's so not him. He seems to have trouble with massive media exposure. How is he gonna deal with all the promo he's gonna have to do ?
    Personal Marvel Trinity
    Storm Daredevil Black Widow
    Tumblr LastFM

Quote Originally Posted by Supernature View Post
    How bizarre.

I absolutely love him as an actor and think he'd do a brilliant job at this, but it's so not him. He seems to have trouble with massive media exposure. How is he gonna deal with all the promo he's gonna have to do ?
    I hope Aidan Gillen at least gets to play Mordo if he's out of the running for the lead. I actually think Joaquin would make a better Mordo based on his performance in The Master. I am concerned he may turn out to be another Ed Norton though given his notoriously difficult Method style.

o_O

I guess... He just doesn't strike me as Strange material.

What were they thinking? He's a good actor, but I'm having a hard time taking him seriously as Dr. Strange.
    Something something darkside.

I think he'd make an amazingly awesome Dr. Strange. I'm just concerned how it would effect him and how he'd handle it. Is being part of a large cinematic and ongoing universe something he's up for? Will he be willing and able to step in line AND have fun with it all? One movie/appearance could be incredible. If he's expected to stick around for more than that on and off-screen, it worries me.

I think this is still a bad idea. He just give me that vibe of someone who is not going to want to play with what Marvel wants. I could see him being like Norton was on Hulk in having big disagreements with the way things should be. Phoenix just does not seem like a good fit for the way way Marvel studios runs.

Heath Ledger as joker, stop judging guys before you see anything.

Marvel has never let me down in the casting department. Please be sure to give Stephen Strange a nice big bushy mustache, though, so I don't have to look at Joaquin's weird lip.
    Currently Reading: Hawkeye, Loki, Mighty Avengers, She-Hulk, Superior Foes, Jupiter's Legacy, Rat Queens & Saga.

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    Ledger developed a character in depth but he also skateboarded around set in between takes. He didn't defy direction and he didn't injure any stunt men like Phoenix did on The Master. Ledger also didn't do any crap like I'm Still Here and try sell it as real.

As actors, they are/were very different. Norton and Phoenix on the other hand are more similar in that regard, wanting to give different performances every take and a say in their character's portrayal.

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    Is this going to be the automatic go-to line whenever someone talks about someone not looking right for a part? Sure, it would be super awesome if we got this really good portrayal of Dr. Strange from Joaquin..but just because it worked for Ledger doesn't mean it can work for anyone. Yes, there are some characters where anyone can play them if they have enough skill. There are also characters where you need not only skill, but the right look. Which kind of character is Dr. Strange? I do not know, I guess we will find out.

I won't say this will 100% fail, but he would not of been my first choice. Or my second or third or 20th choice either, but yeah. I won't say it will fail, I will just say..please don't fuck it up.
    Something something darkside.

At least it's not Cumberbatch.

Im on the fence with this one. Also on the fence with Ant man too. But im having blind faith

I'll believe this when it's official. There have been other actors that have been 'in talks' for the role.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    Is this going to be the automatic go-to line whenever someone talks about someone not looking right for a part? Sure, it would be super awesome if we got this really good portrayal of Dr. Strange from Joaquin..but just because it worked for Ledger doesn't mean it can work for anyone. .
    Yes, and just because you don't think he's right for the part, the part that you have no idea about yet because you don't have a script, doesn't mean he isn't right for it.