Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default CBR TV: Chuck Dixon on his Legacy, Bane and Conservative Criticism

"Winterworld" writer Chuck Dixon talks "Alien Legion," replacing Bruce Wayne, catching lightning in a bottle with Bane and being a conservative writer.

Full article here.

It's absolutely shameful that conservative comic creators have to stay in hiding but not at all surprising.

When editorial insists on acting like Fratboys , what do you expect?

Chuck is one of the best writers working in comics, certainly one of my favorite Batman writers. It would be nice if more editors had the maturity to take the Denny O'Neill approach mentioned in the article.

Buy Wayward! It's great! Energist's Avatar

Favorite writer in the industry, and I love how he's not afraid to tell it like he sees it. You also couldn't meet a nicer creator at a convention, and in my experience, there are a lot of really nice guys and gals in this profession.
    "Forgiving the unrepentant is like drawing pictures on water." - Japanese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    It's absolutely shameful that conservative comic creators have to stay in hiding but not at all surprising.
    They're free to say they hate gays, minorities, and poor people. It's not all that shameful that society no longer tolerates it.

Based on what I've heard from him, I think I'm about as far from Chuck Dixon politically as possible. However, the man was always completely professional when it came to his time on the Batman titles. He had no problem writing Batman as a character who loathed guns because Dixon didn't feel a need to shove his personal views into the characters he wrote. He, Grant Morrison, and Bruce Timm are probably more responsible for the ethos of the post-DKR Batman than any other creators out there. I'd love to see him write some Batman comics again, especially with Graham Nolan or Scott McDaniel. They were awesome teams.

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    They're free to say they hate gays, minorities, and poor people. It's not all that shameful that society no longer tolerates it.
    Exactly what I was going to say.

That is not what conservatism is about, no more than liberalism is the desire to take other peoples money because they can't spend it properly.
    It grips prey with its pincers until the prey is torn in half. What it can't tear, it tosses far.

RIP #GamerGate, 2014-2014 Support Women in Comics and Video Games!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    That is not what conservatism is about, no more than liberalism is the desire to take other peoples money because they can't spend it properly.
    I can only judge him based on the things he says and the things the people he votes for does.

Look at his board. Look at his reaction to DADT. Look at his reaction to Trayvon Martin. If he doesn't hate gays and minorities, he's doing a good job of hiding it. Too bad his comments on old CBR are gone. That was some good stuff too.
    Last edited by dupont2005; 08-29-2014 at 01:23 PM.

Hating gays, minorities, and the poor may not be what conservatism is about, but it sure seems to work out that way...

Quote Originally Posted by minimalistx View Post
    Hating gays, minorities, and the poor may not be what conservatism is about, but it sure seems to work out that way...
    It may not be what a vague and broad idea of conservatism is about, but it is actually explicitly a huge part of the Republican Party platform.

I can only judge him based on the things he says and the things the people he votes for does.

Look at his board. Look at his reaction to DADT. Look at his reaction to Trayvon Martin. If he doesn't hate gays and minorities, he's doing a good job of hiding it. Too bad his comments on old CBR are gone. That was some good stuff too.
    I don't know any of his past comments, but the most I could find on a Google search was that he said he doesn't think gay characters should be in stories for kids. This isn't a terribly radical position.

Also people have to stop thinking that all conservatives are of the southern brand. If you live in the north and are a conservative at worst your a corporatist shill.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 08-29-2014 at 05:31 PM.
    It grips prey with its pincers until the prey is torn in half. What it can't tear, it tosses far.

RIP #GamerGate, 2014-2014 Support Women in Comics and Video Games!

I am a liberal and even I can see that it is attitudes like this that make dialogue and compromise in this country impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    I am a liberal and even I can see that it is attitudes like this that make dialogue and compromise in this country impossible.
    The "both sides are just as bad and everyone needs to just hold hands and get along" myth doesn't really help anyone.
    Last edited by Kid A; 08-29-2014 at 05:50 PM.