Super Moderator

Default Atwell and Producers Release Intel on "Agent Carter"

Though "Agent Carter" info remains scarce, the show's executive producers and star Hayley Atwell discuss the "huge responsibility" of getting it right.

Full article here.

I'm clearly out of step with most on this upcoming series -- I just don't get it. To me the one-shot was cliche-ridden and facile. Atwell was very good in Captain America, but seemed very one-note in the short. I didn't see a great deal of screen presence either. While I agree that it's an important role model given the historical era I don't see much value in this otherwise with the possible exception of introducing other characters to the MCU.

Octavius Core...wishing the doors would open...

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Though "Agent Carter" info remains scarce, the show's executive producers and star Hayley Atwell discuss the "huge responsibility" of getting it right.

Full article here.
    "I'm so excited and I just can't hide it"

Really looking forward to this. Though I just lost TV service and will likely not get it back so I'll have to hope Hulu or some other services provides streaming. *goes to look at ABC's streaming options"

Octavius Core...wishing the doors would open...

Quote Originally Posted by DocSpin View Post
    I'm clearly out of step with most on this upcoming series -- I just don't get it. To me the one-shot was cliche-ridden and facile. Atwell was very good in Captain America, but seemed very one-note in the short. I didn't see a great deal of screen presence either. While I agree that it's an important role model given the historical era I don't see much value in this otherwise with the possible exception of introducing other characters to the MCU.
    Really...hmm. I saw her character and Atwell act very independent, very strong, and very much someone with a strong will power.

She also show possession of a good heart and I think when Rogers used his courage, self-sacrifice, and intelligence during training she saw a kind of goodness that resonated with her.

Then in the one-shot, I saw her as a woman suffering loss in a social situation where she wasn't given the kind of power (or authority) she had during the war (which a lot of women could relate during that period).

During the one-shot, she took on a mission because she was brazen and determined, she starting showing the attitude and toughness she displayed during the war. She was smart, strategic, and uncompromising. There was a lot there.

What were the cliches? What made the one-shot easy? I saw her hit many notes in the one-shot. I'll have to re-watch it, but I felt she was multi-faceted.

In terms of screen presence....I don't know what to saw. As Peggy Carter, Atwell showed tremendous screen presence against the large battle screens and big icon that is Captain America. I even felt that without her, Chris Evans didn't have much screen presence in that movie.

I just immediately took notice of the character as well as the actress with her delivery of the role. She's iconic to me.

The One-Shot proved beyond a doubt to me that Agent Carter/Hayley Atwell could carry her own show. Atwell brings so much strength, personality and charm to the character that makes her a lot of fun to watch. IMO, she's easily the best female character in the MCU. Certainly far more than Black Widow, who (to me) has been terribly underwritten, not to mention horribly acted by Scarlett Johansson. I'm very excited that Carter is getting her own series to headline and can't wait to see it.
    Currently Reading: Five Ghosts, Ghosted, Gotham Academy, John Carpenter's Asylum, Magnus: Robot Fighter, Thief of Thieves, Velvet, Wild Blue Yonder.
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    The One-Shot proved beyond a doubt to me that Agent Carter/Hayley Atwell could carry her own show. Atwell brings so much strength, personality and charm to the character that makes her a lot of fun to watch. IMO, she's easily the best female character in the MCU. Certainly far more than Black Widow, who (to me) has been terribly underwritten, not to mention horribly acted by Scarlett Johansson. I'm very excited that Carter is getting her own series to headline and can't wait to see it.
    See, I could watch Scarlett as Black Widow forever. The two scenes that sold me were the Russion interrogation scene and the scene in which she first approached Banner. So much intellect and gallows humor. And then registering her complete terror over the Hulk's attack just made that scene so real for me. Not just your standard comic book overly competent female, but a really nuanced performance. Hardly underwritten but then to each their own.

To my mind Atwell just showed such a limited range -- even when Steve was dying. Her biggest moment was shooting Cap's shield. Not really much there beyond a "love interest". And the one shot effectively wiped out any sympathy for her loss of station after the war by instantly promoting her to SHIELD.

Quote Originally Posted by DocSpin View Post
    To my mind Atwell just showed such a limited range -- even when Steve was dying. Her biggest moment was shooting Cap's shield. Not really much there beyond a "love interest". And the one shot effectively wiped out any sympathy for her loss of station after the war by instantly promoting her to SHIELD.
    Then you should have more hope for the series than any of us, to see if there's anything more than the (in your opinion) limited interpretation we've been given so far.

Yeah I DEFINATELY don't get the "Hayley has limited range" argument at all. It helps that I've seen her in other things, so I know that that's not the case.