Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default The Rich History of Captain Mar... er, Shazam!

With a seemingly-confirmed movie on the way, an increased DCU profile and a new name, CBR runs down the fascinating history of Shazam!

Full article here.

skipped over what they did to Mary didn't they.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The less said about that bizarre storyline the better. Having 'Dark Mary' occur was just lazy writing at best. Glad it was erased with the New52 and hopefully will never, ever occur again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Hey guys, writer of the piece here.

Thanks for reading. I addressed the pre-52 Mary Marvel stuff briefly toward the end of the article.

"With Billy back in the red, white and gold, most of the changes in the world of Captain Marvel now focused on Mary Marvel, who became an S&M bad girl in the pages of "Countdown to Final Crisis" and "Final Crisis."

A few errors. Shazam is not an acronym of, and Captain Marvel does not receive his powers from "six Greek gods". In fact, only one is a Greek god: Zeus. Solomon is a Old Testament Jewish king and completely human, Hercules and Mercury are the Roman versions of the gods, Atlas was a titan, predecessor of the gods, and Achilles is a mortal hero of the Trojan war and descended from the gods in some traditions but not ascended into a god like Hercules/Heracles.

The first attempt to franchise Captain Marvel was the creation of the Lieutenant Marvels. The more popular and diverse Captain Marvel, Jr., Mary Marvel, Uncle Marvel, Freckles Marvel, the Marvel Bunny came later. The Sivana family likewise got franchised so that Junior and Mary both had evil Sivanas about their age to contend with.

At the time, Jeff Smith's Monster Society of Evil was supposed to be in-continuity, thus a reboot of the character. He was proud to claim that it was an in-continuity tale. He just couldn't be bothered to make it actually fit in continuity himself.

It may surprise some that Black Adam wouldn't have even qualified as a second banana to the likes of Sivana and Mr. Mind before the Thomases and Ordway made him figure heavily into their origin stories. He only appeared once in the 1940s and once again in the 1970s and then cameo'd in Crisis on Infinite Earths. King Kull, Ibac, Mr. Banjo, and Oggar were bigger villains than him. Of them though, because of his paucity of appearances, Black Adam is the one character that is fully covered by copyright and owned by DC.
    Last edited by Ed Love; 08-29-2014 at 01:00 PM.

Sorry, missed that part.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc_Buxton View Post
    Hey guys, writer of the piece here.

Thanks for reading. I addressed the pre-52 Mary Marvel stuff briefly toward the end of the article.

"With Billy back in the red, white and gold, most of the changes in the world of Captain Marvel now focused on Mary Marvel, who became an S&M bad girl in the pages of "Countdown to Final Crisis" and "Final Crisis."

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Love View Post
    A few errors. Shazam is not an acronym of, and Captain Marvel does not receive his powers from "six Greek gods". In fact, only one is a Greek god: Zeus. Solomon is a Old Testament Jewish king and completely human, Hercules and Mercury are the Roman versions of the gods, Atlas was a titan, predecessor of the gods, and Achilles is a mortal hero of the Trojan war and descended from the gods in some traditions but not ascended into a god like Hercules/Heracles.

The first attempt to franchise Captain Marvel was the creation of the Lieutenant Marvels. The more popular and diverse Captain Marvel, Jr., Mary Marvel, Uncle Marvel, Freckles Marvel, the Marvel Bunny came later. The Sivana family likewise got franchised so that Junior and Mary both had evil Sivanas about their age to contend with.

At the time, Jeff Smith's Monster Society of Evil was supposed to be in-continuity, thus a reboot of the character. He was proud to claim that it was an in-continuity tale. He just couldn't be bothered to make it actually fit in continuity himself.

It may surprise some that Black Adam wouldn't have even qualified as a second banana to the likes of Sivana and Mr. Mind before the Thomases and Ordway made him figure heavily into their origin stories. He only appeared once in the 1940s and once again in the 1970s and then cameo'd in Crisis on Infinite Earths. King Kull, Ibac, Mr. Banjo, and Oggar were bigger villains than him. Of them though, because of his paucity of appearances, Black Adam is the one character that is fully covered by copyright and owned by DC.

Thank you for the response. I didn't mention the Lieutenants Marvel because thy never appeared in their own title. I cut out a paragraph about them for brevity's sake.

That is a fascinating little fact about Black Adam, and may have given me an idea for my next feature.

Myself I hope they bring back both Mr. Mind and Georgia. Those two were just good villains.

Great article. Thanks for the read! Definitely a favorite character of mine, regardless of name. I have the Showcase Presents book of the 70's stuff and the Trials of Shazam series (very underrated) as well as the Magic of Shazam trade, in addition to the zillion books the various characters appear in. Always a pleasure to see them. Is the Ordway series collected? I'd love to give that a read.
    Time; the death that's life. Through sewn shut eyes,
    Black stars shine the light of the dark side.

I wonder if the film will derive more from the inoccence and wide eyed wonder of earlier incarnations, (even the more "modern" takes of Thomas and Ordway), or if it'll go with the brash street smart version of Johns' SHAZAM? I liked Johns' Shazam, but I certainly prefer Ordway's Power of Shazam version. The innocence aspect is intricate to the character for me.

Peace

They tried selling MOS to the kids and I'm not sure it really worked. But I have no doubt in my mind that a Shazam film would be PG and geared much more for the family audience. I could easily seeing it being a hit with toys and tie-ins simply for the appeal it has had its entire existence: the fantasy that a child can magically transform into a superhero. We have yet to get the kid perspective through Robin in a Batman movie, which feels like a sorely missed opportunity, despite the tone. As a kid, I always wanted to be Robin because I wanted to be Batman's sidekick. I never had the audacity to think I could be Batman. But an orphaned kid who catches a lucky break? Yeah, I could identify with that.
    Time; the death that's life. Through sewn shut eyes,
    Black stars shine the light of the dark side.

Very nice effort at covering so much of the history. Just a couple of nit-picks:

Infantino did not buy the rights to the original Captain Marvel from Fawcett in 1972, DC leased them. The bought them outright in 1991. From what I have hear, due to the lease agreement, they had to pay Facett every time they used a character, which would explain the limited use of some of the characters.

I remember "Justice League" with Captain Marvel and "Shazam: A New Beginning" being on the stands at the same time, and the 4-issue miniseries ending while the he was still in the Justice League book. The idea was that the 4-issue miniseries took place before "Legends," and "legents was what formed the new Justice League.

And as to Black Adam being the the "one character that is fully covered by copyright and owned by DC," I don't think that's true. All the other former Fawcett characters are also fully covered by copyright and owned by DC. What DC does not own is the trademark on the title "Captain Marvel," which is why they had to come up with the idea of titling the book "Shazam." I believe that the actual stories that were printed by Fawcett may be public domain now, including the Black Adam story, but the copyrights on the characters are wholly in the hands of DC.

I am working on a complete history of all the characters that have used the name "Captain Marvel," called "Captain Marvel Culture,"so getting all this right is important to me.

Again, though, lots of good info here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Love View Post

The Pre-Crisis Black Adam made at least one other appearance, in DC Comics Presents#49, also written by Roy Thomas, reprinted last year in Showcase Presents: The DC Comics Presents Superman Team-Ups vol 2.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I've always liked the 1970s TV show interpretation of the SHAZAM mythos, a bit removed as it was from the original Golden Age comics mythos.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Very nice article, and I enjoyed reading it. I'm not supporting any movie that doesn't call the character Captain Marvel though. I'll stick with my older comics. There's something special about Captain Marvel and the innocence inherent in the character, something the newest version definitely lacks.