Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Southern Bastards, #4

MATURE READERS ONLY

THE EXPLOSIVE ENDING TO OUR FIRST ARC! Earl Tubb and his big stick finally come face to face with Coach Boss. This will not be pretty.

Full article here.

Really looking forward to this. Southern Bastards is gritty and raw, and the artwork is some of the best I've seen that fits seamlessly with the writing. Can't bloody wait!
    Southern Bastards, Velvet, East of West, Sex Criminals, Saga, Outcast, The Walking Dead, Trees, Low, Bodies, Lazarus, The Fade Out, In the House of the Worm, Hawkeye, Fables.

Nobody talking about this one on here. Surprising. That ending really shook up what I thought this series was going to be about.

I was just contemplating on dropping this to make room, but that ending got me wanting the next arc! Damn, my pockets.
    Pull List: Amazing Spider-Man, Rat Queens, Sex Criminals, Saga, Rocket Girl, Velvet, Afterlife with Archie, Outcast, Alex + Ada, Deadly Class, Spread, Spider-Man 2099, Black Science, TMNT, Batman, Harley Quinn, Five Ghosts, Low, Guardians of the Galaxy, Shutter, Starlord, the Fade Out.

Chopping block: Lazarus, Southern Bastards, Rocket Raccoon, and Starlight.

This issue was "make or break" for me, as I was kind of losing interest in the series after what I thought was a phenomenal issue #1. I re-read issue 3 and liked it a bit more on second read, and wow, this issue (#4) was definitely the best since the first and really redeemed my enthusiasm for this series. My main problems with issues 2 and 3 were that they felt like more of the same, and the whole thing started to feel a bit predictable and repetitive after being introduced to this whole new world in the first issue. Of course, as anyone who read #4 knows, the ending of #4 brings back the unpredictability and sense of newness in a big way. I think this is a good direction to take the rest of the series as it should allow to explore even more themes of vengeance and prejudice.

The trademark grit and violence still remains. Latour is a perfect artist for this series, and Aaron's dialogue is all flawless. Great issue and I am definitely on board now.
    Saga, Chew, Southern Bastards, Deadly Class, The Private Eye, Batgirl, She-Hulk, Loki: Agent of Asgard

This book is AMAZING. What a swerve! Definitely the best new comic in 2014.
    Message board hyperbole is laughably bad, by a country mile. :rolls eyes:

"CBR....complain, b!#^h, and rant" ~ Greg Capullo