Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Wayward, #1

When she moved to Japan to be with her mother, Rori Lane knew it would be a lot different from her life in Ireland -- but she never would have bargained on the supernatural attacks headed her way in Jim Zub and Steve Cummings' "Wayward" #1.

Full review here.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Can't wait to read. In Zub I trust!
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison

Aman, A&tO, Bgirl, GAcad, GbM, Grayson, HQ, JL, Klarion, Multiversity, Sgirl, SM/WW, ST, WW
    quartets of indies

This was a great debut issue. Zub did a fantastic job of introducing Rori and giving us a sense of her personality and her world in just a few pages. And Cummings' art is fantastic. I've only been to Tokyo twice but I certainly "recognized" it in Cummings' art. He is living in Tokyo and he has caught the uniqueness of the city amazingly well.

The art was the biggest draw for me, it was terrific. Every panel was so well thought out and painstakingly detailed. I highly enjoyed it and would like to see where it goes from here.
    Last edited by Groo Odyssey; 08-30-2014 at 08:00 AM.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Sheltered, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Invincible, Walking Dead, Starlight, Winterworld, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Flash Gordon, The Fade Out, Fearless Dawn, Skullkickers, Nailbiter, Southern Bastards, Copperhead, Stray Bullets/Killers, Tooth and Claw

I was lured in by the fantastic cover, sadly the interiour art could not keep the high standart. I loved the first pages and thought we would get more of a coming of age story, but it drifted into the supernatural and usual fights. I'd have preferred something in direction of Solanin, as it is I think I won't keep it.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

I loved the art. Story was...interesting. It definitely has a type of shojo-(yuri?)-horror manga hybrid feel (really, not sure how to describe it. Magical girl, too?). I'm interested for sure.

What bothered me most was the misuse of "decent" on the very first page. Not sure if that's on Zub or the letterer...I believe there's no true editor for a title like this, but yeah...ppl getting paid to write and it's written incorrectly!

I'll probably pick up #2.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison

Aman, A&tO, Bgirl, GAcad, GbM, Grayson, HQ, JL, Klarion, Multiversity, Sgirl, SM/WW, ST, WW
    quartets of indies

Gots No Chi Danny Rand's Other Fist's Avatar

Buffy is my favourite show of all time, so if this is even half as good as that, I'll like it. Will be checking it out, based off that review.

"His style, particularly in his figure work, walks a thin line between mainstream superhero comics and manga, which -- for a story that involves a character caught between two cultures -- aptly suits the book."

I whole-heartedly agree with this statement. It's probably one of the main reasons I love this book. Can't wait for #2.

I liked this issue. I thought it had some flaws that held it back from being total win, but it definitely has potential.

I thought the first half of the book was better than the second half, which is kind of surprising as it was much quieter and slower paced. I thought Zub and Cummings did a great job with Rori's travels to her new home. Zub's narration for Rori was easy to read and nicely related information to the reader. Cummings is excellent with people and environments. I have never been to Japan but I've seen some movies and read a bit of manga, and from what I've known Japan to look like, Cummings completely nails it. The setting feels very real and really does a great job to put the reader right there. This is so important as the reader is clearly meant to be taking this trip with Rori to a strange and fascinating place.

I thought the book hit its first bump when Rori met her mom. Their interaction together felt very awkward and stilted. This may have been intentional so I'm not sure how much Zub is to blame there. Cummings still did an excellent job with the apartment, restaurant, streets, etc.

I thought things really failed with the kappas. The artwork and the battle, the whole scene felt very silly and like something out of a Saturday morning cartoon for little kids. For as good as Cummings is with backgrounds and scene setting, I don't think he draws effective monsters at all, at least based on this issue. The kappas looked silly and not intimidating, shocking, or horrifying at all. Even when they rip their face off it just looked dumb. The creators may be intentionally going for a lighter tone with the book and didn't want to make things look too violent, but come on, when you're trapped in an alleyway with thugs who rip their faces off to become giant turtle creatures, that should be horrifying and world shattering and it just looked kind of stupid and childish. I know Philip Tan did a variant for this series, and in my perfect world he'd draw the monsters and supernatural elements for this series. Tan struggles with facial expressions and body language which Cummings is good at, but he draws terrifying monsters, which Cummings seems to struggle at.

A bit too early to say about Ayane. I liked her energy and I thought her affinity for strawberry milk was cute in a quirky way. The book ends really abruptly but I kind of like the cliffhanger as it sells the "WTF just happened" aspect of the story. Also, the way Rori's pathways were depicted was nice, with the black & white backgrounds and red highlights. Oh, and I liked the back material with the essays on Japanese mythology. That lets you feel like you got more of your money's worth.

If Cummings and Zub can do a better job with monsters and the supernatural, this book could really be a winner.
    Image: Saga, Chew, Deadly Class, Southern Bastards, Umbral, Wayward
    DC: Batgirl, Catwoman

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    I thought things really failed with the kappas. The artwork and the battle, the whole scene felt very silly and like something out of a Saturday morning cartoon for little kids. For as good as Cummings is with backgrounds and scene setting, I don't think he draws effective monsters at all, at least based on this issue. The kappas looked silly and not intimidating, shocking, or horrifying at all. Even when they rip their face off it just looked dumb.
    Totally agree with this. The kappas tearing their faces off just felt horribly cheesy, and not in a good cheesy anime sort of way.
    "TOPANGA!" - God Hates Astronauts

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I really enjoyed this issue. I kind of forgot that I pre-ordered it but was nicely surprised by it. It's not a home-run yet, I don't think, but it has loads of potential as I was pretty wowed by the art and the writing made good use of both its characters and Japanese lore. My only real worry is that this book looks like it may end up placing greater emphasis on its action and its mythology than on its characters, but if it has learned anything from Buffy then hopefully that won't be the case.

And, yeah, Cummings' monsters weren't particularly monstrous but it fits the lightness of the book and it's more than made up for by Cumming's terrific handle on stuff like body language, facial expressions, energy and attention to detail.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Glad to hear it. I definitely was drawn to this book just by the stunning cover art but if the story and internal art is just as good I'll be glad to pick this up.