Super Moderator

Default Sam Humphries Signs Exclusive Contract with Marvel Comics

Full article here.

Good for Humphries. I actually like his work on titles such as Fanboys vs Zombies, Uncanny X-force(it was ok, good but not like Remenders), and even his Ultimate Comics work. Plus, I'm excited to see his Starlord series.

So, yeah that's really good new for Humphries.

I completely agree that it is good to see him working and with confidence at Marvel. I've seen a lot of complaints of him as a writer, but I think the honest truth really is that he hasn't had a chance to really stretch his legs on the titles he has worked on. Uncanny X-Force was a prime example, in that it felt like there was a lot more story he wanted to tell and it was just cut off. While I understand low sales are mostly at issue; it is a shame. Best of luck to you Mr Humphries. Hoping there is a lot more great stories from ya.

Hopefully there was a Doombot and Alexia clause in his contract. I want to see more of them!

Quote Originally Posted by HankChinaski View Post
    I've seen a lot of complaints of him as a writer, but I think the honest truth really is that he hasn't had a chance to really stretch his legs on the titles he has worked on. Uncanny X-Force was a prime example, in that it felt like there was a lot more story he wanted to tell and it was just cut off.
    Thankfully! The stories he wrote left much to be desired. He had the chance to 'stretch his legs', and we get a terrible, long story-arc about Fantomex, that left most readers unhappy and hating him (Fantomex).

I hope the contract allows more editorial interference. Humphries needs someone to guide him, help him develop his ideas and polish the writing. Humphries is a rough Diamond right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I hope the contract allows more editorial interference. Humphries needs someone to guide him, help him develop his ideas and polish the writing. Humphries is a rough Diamond right now.
    You cleaver minx!

This is quite the vote of confidence considering he's had 2 series cancelled. They're really expecting the Star Lord solo to do well.

Uncanny X-Force wasn't horrible and he did have the unfortunate job of writing the follow up to Remender so that was a no win situation from the begining. Avengers AI has been okay, Doombot by far the best thing about that book. I don't doubt the guy is probably good, he just needs the right match. Hopefully Star Lord will be it.
    "Cyclops was RIGHT!"