Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Guardians" Takes Labor Day Box Office To Become 2014's Highest Grossing Movie

The Marvel Studios hit continues to prove a bright spot in a weak summer as Pierce Brosnan's "November Man" falters.

Full article here.

Glad to hear it. Even gladder to have seen it.

Here's to Gunn for and I quote: "Giving a s#@!"

Which feels like the opposite of what Fox is doing with that FF reboot.

So here's to that doing less than Sin City 2's numbers next year.

#MCU #givesas***

I'm personally glad to see a 'lesser' Marvel property succeed so well, but the period it was released in surely helps, plus the fact that it is a Marvel movie in general. I'd bet money that if the Winter Soldier were released now, it'd be doing as well. Kids are on holiday, they'll go to the movies. That doesn't happen in April.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungThanos View Post
    Glad to hear it. Even gladder to have seen it.

Here's to Gunn for and I quote: "Giving a s#@!"

Which feels like the opposite of what Fox is doing with that FF reboot.

So here's to that doing less than Sin City 2's numbers next year.

#MCU #givesas***
    Oh there's no way that FF can do as bad as Dame to Kill For. That had a SIX MILLION opening weekend. Even Silver Surfer did 50 million it's OW.

Oh my! I expected GOTG to do well but to be the highest grossing movie?!
    'Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light'

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Oh my! I expected GOTG to do well but to be the highest grossing movie?!
    Have not seen the film, but at this point I've fairly convinced that Marvel could release a Frogman movie that would break box office records. They just have the Midas touch right now.

Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    Have not seen the film, but at this point I've fairly convinced that Marvel could release a Frogman movie that would break box office records. They just have the Midas touch right now.
    And somewhere in the world, Kevin Feige is rubbing his chin and wondering if maybe, just maybe, he can revive Howard the Duck.

"Have not seen the film, but at this point I've fairly convinced that Marvel could release a Frogman movie that would break box office records. They just have the Midas touch right now."

Marvel Studios has built a brand, something that movie studios rarely do. Can you name which studio first released "Gone With the Wind," or "Star Wars?" I can't.

Hollywood just did not turn out much good product this summer. I can't remember the last summer when I went to see so few movies at theaters. The best films I've seen this summer were the superhero movies "Winter Soldier," "Days of Future Past," and "Guardians of the Galaxy." The only other real standout for me was the comedy "22 Jump Street."

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    The Marvel Studios hit continues to prove a bright spot in a weak summer as Pierce Brosnan's "November Man" falters.

Full article here.
    I don't get it - I thought Age of Extinction made more (1 Billion) than GotG (500 million).

Or did I misinterpret the article? Is it in regards to profit made?
    We are a patchwork of miracles
    and an
    apocalypse dreaming of butterflies.

Quote Originally Posted by xMatt View Post
    I don't get it - I thought Age of Extinction made more (1 Billion) than GotG (500 million).

It is the domestic number they are talking about. The studios get a larger percentage of the take there so it is valued highly.

Quote Originally Posted by xMatt View Post

They're talking about the domestic box office, international numbers put GotG at #9 on the year (so far).

Domestic:
    http://boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2014&p=.htm

Worldwide:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/...ldwide&yr=2014

Quote Originally Posted by invasionforce View Post

Marvel Studios has built a brand, something that movie studios rarely do. Can you name which studio first released "Gone With the Wind," or "Star Wars?" I can't.
    20th Century Fox released the first Star Wars film.

Quote Originally Posted by MrStatham View Post
    I'm personally glad to see a 'lesser' Marvel property succeed so well, but the period it was released in surely helps, plus the fact that it is a Marvel movie in general. I'd bet money that if the Winter Soldier were released now, it'd be doing as well. Kids are on holiday, they'll go to the movies. That doesn't happen in April.
    August is not the traditional month for big box office hits.

"Have not seen the film, but at this point I've fairly convinced that Marvel could release a Frogman movie that would break box office records. They just have the Midas touch right now."

Hollywood just did not turn out much good product this summer. I can't remember the last summer when I went to see so few movies at theaters. The best films I've seen this summer were the superhero movies "Winter Soldier," "Days of Future Past," and "Guardians of the Galaxy." The only other real standout for me was the comedy "22 Jump Street."
    MGM did Gone with the Wind, 20th Century Fox did Star Wars. And yes, I am showing off a bit.

But you make a good point. This has not been a strong summer for movies. Yes, there were successes, but for as much money invested, the return has ranged from modest to underperforming. I do believe that to a degree, TWS surprised people and GOTG certainly did.

To paraphrase Scripture, the geek have truly inherited the Earth. The big pressure on Marvel now is how long can they keep it going for. We have not had a true disappointment since Incredible Hulk. AoU is going to be safe, but man, the pressure on Ant-Man is now enormous. The stakes are higher now and, whichever movie finally does stumble, will make a very loud thud when it does.

While I'm glad that GoTG is doing so well, I'm even happier that it did so as the first movie of that respective franchise. Its Marvel competitor is The Winter Soldier, and while I enjoyed that movie as well, it was a sequel and already a proven brand, so it wasn't a surprise that it did well.

"
    Agree 100%, Pixar is really the only thing I find comparable. You pretty much know what to expect in a Marvel Studios film: Lots of action, good special effects, some serious moments but an overall fun tone, using humor to reduce tension.

Not too suprised that GotG remains on top as I think its one of those movies that people will go see more than once, based on the humor and unique characters.

Despite the Avengers, I would argue that this has been Marvel's best year between Winter Soldier and GotG. Its also been great as a Marvel fan to enjoy not only those two but also Days of Future Past.