Page 742 of 800 FirstFirst ... 242642692732738739740741742743744745746752792 ... LastLast
Results 11,116 to 11,130 of 11990
  1. #11116
    Fantastic Member uebersoldat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Yeah... sure, ok. Whatever you say. Opinions, and all that jazz.
    I think you're spot on dude (at least what I've read in this thread by you). It's refreshing seeing someone that isn't obsessed with ole sugar daddy and Rogue being together. Especially around here. Even the Romy thread is full of Romy haters these days lol.

  2. #11117
    hangin on by a thread... donpricetag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Miami... the good one.
    Posts
    2,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    You..the one who likes to mention toys but doesn't bring up Gambit not meaning anything after those first 4 issues..in all AoA follow ups. It's the Magneto and Rogue show.
    Wasn't there an entire ongoing entitled "Age of Apocalypse" that didn't feature either character, but revolved around Jean and some denizens of that timeline..? Oh, let me guess, that's why it got canceled, right? Magneto and Rogue being used after the AoA storyline timeline ended doesnt mean anything. A lot of AoA characters were used after that point. Magneto, for better or worse, was the main character of AoA because, like I said, Xavier was gone, and he replaced him. The whole point of the AoA was THAT FACT. Of course he'd be heavily featured. Because of that, we saw a lot of Rogue as well, but their relationship was NOT the main subject of the story. You're being ridiculous right now, man. The fact that your hyping this part up and belittling Gambit's importance (who had a whole book named after him and retrieved the one thing they needed to conclude the story with a small band of characters), shows your hand and makes your opinion jaded as all hell. You're not capable of having an conversation without bias. Gambit messed up, yep. Well he was betrayed along with everyone else. Don't see how you can blame him for anything that happened. Magneto was FAR from perfect during that story. Plenty of people died under his leadership and the world ended in atomic fire, an angle he wasnt even covering. But that was the point. Moto was "The world needed Xavier" "One man's worth", not, "The world survived because of Magneto".
    Last edited by donpricetag; 05-15-2017 at 06:13 AM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs.

  3. #11118
    Incredible Member TheRealWashout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    647

    Default

    Who cares about Gambit and Magneto? Rogue is doing fine on her own and leading an Avengers team with little to know support. She's pretty much at the height of her superhero career right now, and it has nothing to do with either of the men in her life.

  4. #11119
    hangin on by a thread... donpricetag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Miami... the good one.
    Posts
    2,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    Who cares about Gambit and Magneto? Rogue is doing fine on her own and leading an Avengers team with little to know support. She's pretty much at the height of her superhero career right now, and it has nothing to do with either of the men in her life.
    The height? I dunno, I'd argue she was doing pretty darn well under Carey and before that, under Claremont right around "Revolution" and then "X-Treme X-Men". I guess if you drink the Marvel Koolaid and see being an Avenger as a step up (I don't. Avengers may be Marvel's answer to JLA, but the stature isn't there for me incomparison to their DC counter-part team, personally), then sure...
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs.

  5. #11120
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    4,752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    The height? I dunno, I'd argue she was doing pretty darn well under Carey and before that, under Claremont right around "Revolution" and then "X-Treme X-Men". I guess if you drink the Marvel Koolaid and see being an Avenger as a step up (I don't. Avengers may be Marvel's answer to JLA, but the stature isn't there for me incomparison to their DC counter-part team, personally), then sure...
    yes she did but not because Gambit or Magneto were there.
    Actually Xtreme X-men - she was with Gambit and because of that she was kicked from book for many issues:P
    Favorite Comics:
    Uncanny Avengers vol 3, All New Wolverine, Deadpool, Captain America Steve Rogers Vision

  6. #11121
    Fantastic Member uebersoldat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    Who cares about Gambit and Magneto? Rogue is doing fine on her own and leading an Avengers team with little to know support. She's pretty much at the height of her superhero career right now, and it has nothing to do with either of the men in her life.
    She's moving to Astonishing X-Men later this summer...with Gambit.

  7. #11122
    Incredible Member TheRealWashout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    She's moving to Astonishing X-Men later this summer...with Gambit.
    What!? I had no idea. I almost had a heart attack from that surprise.

    The point is. She's more important than the men in her life. I said the height of her superhero career, not her comics career. Leading the Avengers is a pretty big deal, and she's doing a great job, and her stories don't revolve around a man. Sure, she and Gambit will be in a book together, but we don't know the extent of their relationship. I'd much rather celebrate Rogue's success then talk about male characters.

  8. #11123
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    Who cares about Gambit and Magneto? Rogue is doing fine on her own and leading an Avengers team with little to know support. She's pretty much at the height of her superhero career right now, and it has nothing to do with either of the men in her life.
    Now hold on here..shes doing great but she was much bigger than this in the 90s. There is no denying it. She was in the middle of all the X stories top to bottom when the X men ruled the world over Spider Man, Batman, Superman, Spawn, Top Cow, Witchblade, Darkness, etc. They were the crown jewel of comics....the Avengers were barely putting out anything readable at the time. This was way before the Iron Man agenda and Deadpool was a big singles star. Rogue was nearly the centerpiece in Uncanny 350...came back as a pivotal player in Onslaught...found out Gambit's lies at long last after the fun Shiar story. She was on fire. And the start of the 90s were even better..the beginning of her Magneto affair..when her and Gambit were still readable together..her classic sass and ms. Marvel power set. It was all good just a week ago indeed.

    Now she's barely in the movies and in an Avengers title? Come on..lol

  9. #11124
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Wasn't there an entire ongoing entitled "Age of Apocalypse" that didn't feature either character, but revolved around Jean and some denizens of that timeline..? Oh, let me guess, that's why it got canceled, right? Magneto and Rogue being used after the AoA storyline timeline ended doesnt mean anything. A lot of AoA characters were used after that point. Magneto, for better or worse, was the main character of AoA because, like I said, Xavier was gone, and he replaced him. The whole point of the AoA was THAT FACT. Of course he'd be heavily featured. Because of that, we saw a lot of Rogue as well, but their relationship was NOT the main subject of the story. You're being ridiculous right now, man. The fact that your hyping this part up and belittling Gambit's importance (who had a whole book named after him and retrieved the one thing they needed to conclude the story with a small band of characters), shows your hand and makes your opinion jaded as all hell. You're not capable of having an conversation without bias. Gambit messed up, yep. Well he was betrayed along with everyone else. Don't see how you can blame him for anything that happened. Magneto was FAR from perfect during that story. Plenty of people died under his leadership and the world ended in atomic fire, an angle he wasnt even covering. But that was the point. Moto was "The world needed Xavier" "One man's worth", not, "The world survived because of Magneto".
    And yeah and how well did the Jean Aoa sell bereft of Magneto and Rogue..i rest my case.

  10. #11125
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    4,752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    Now hold on here..shes doing great but she was much bigger than this in the 90s. There is no denying it. She was in the middle of all the X stories top to bottom when the X men ruled the world over Spider Man, Batman, Superman, Spawn, Top Cow, Witchblade, Darkness, etc. They were the crown jewel of comics....the Avengers were barely putting out anything readable at the time. This was way before the Iron Man agenda and Deadpool was a big singles star. Rogue was nearly the centerpiece in Uncanny 350...came back as a pivotal player in Onslaught...found out Gambit's lies at long last after the fun Shiar story. She was on fire. And the start of the 90s were even better..the beginning of her Magneto affair..when her and Gambit were still readable together..her classic sass and ms. Marvel power set. It was all good just a week ago indeed.

    Now she's barely in the movies and in an Avengers title? Come on..lol
    that's not excatly like that. She was very popular in 90s that's true. Then XCU happenned and she was kicked from X-men movies and they were all about Wolverine and Magneto. Thanks to that X-men became less popular. Magneto works better when we also have x-men. Grey characters (Magneto) works better when we have near them good heroes like Rogue. We didn't. We had Xavier and Wolverine.

    actually Rogue is one of few x-men who is trending on google for many years... obviously Wolverine, Magneto and Deadpool also have positive trends
    but majority of X-men or X-men as a whole ? people talk about them less

    so she is lucky
    Favorite Comics:
    Uncanny Avengers vol 3, All New Wolverine, Deadpool, Captain America Steve Rogers Vision

  11. #11126
    hangin on by a thread... donpricetag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Miami... the good one.
    Posts
    2,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    And yeah and how well did the Jean Aoa sell bereft of Magneto and Rogue..i rest my case.
    Wait, I impromptu made that point before you. You can't double point, my point!
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs.

  12. #11127
    Mighty Member ChronoRogue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,284

    Default

    Eww no, Rogue was horrible in the 90s. She was entertaining in that AoA mini (Astonishing) and had some nice moments here and there, but for the most part all the romance went way overboard and really ruined her character.

    Gambit or Magneto, I could care less, when you strip a character down to who she is chasing after is when you've lost me. That should never be what makes the character, this is superhero comics, not a romance novel. That's Bella Swan right there and no thanks, I'm not here for that.

    Rogue is best when she is focusing on other things or dealing with issues and problems that have less to do with romance. Her dealing with wanting to control of her powers, her trauma with Cody, her villainous past with Mystique & Destiny, and everything to do with Ms Marvel is great stuff and was played well by Claremont.

    But when you strip all the complexity of intimacy, insecurity, and loneliness that comes from her powers to just "I can't touch my boyfriend, boo hoo", you've missed 90% of what makes Rogue a great character. That's why Movie Rogue will always be a horrible interpretation of her character, as they never really even touched half of what made Rogue - Rogue.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 05-15-2017 at 01:26 PM.

  13. #11128
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    4,752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Eww no, Rogue was horrible in the 90s. She was entertaining in that AoA mini (Astonishing) and had some nice moments here and there, but for the most part all the romance went way overboard and really ruined her character.

    Gambit or Magneto, I could care less, when you strip a character down to who she is chasing after is when you've lost me. That should never be what makes the character, this is superhero comics, not a romance novel. That's Bella Swan right there and no thanks, I'm not here for that.

    Rogue is best when she is focusing on other things or dealing with issues and problems that have less to do with romance. Her dealing with wanting to control of her powers, her trauma with Cody, her villainous past with Mystique & Destiny, and everything to do with Ms Marvel is great stuff and was played well by Claremont.

    But when you strip all the complexity of intimacy, insecurity, and loneliness that comes from her powers to just "I can't touch my boyfriend, boo hoo", you've missed 90% of what makes Rogue a great character. That's why Movie Rogue will always be a horrible interpretation of her character, as they never really even touched half of what made Rogue - Rogue.
    Excatly You are completly right
    Favorite Comics:
    Uncanny Avengers vol 3, All New Wolverine, Deadpool, Captain America Steve Rogers Vision

  14. #11129
    Astonishing Member Badou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    Badou:

    It would be better if You would explain why this is bad. Even if You are right about this(Your previous post)

    why this is bad? Would it be better if writers would involve her with character they don't like? or if they would stop involving her with anyone? or maybe she should have stories with gambit only?
    maybe they should always be together for last 26 years without having solo series?

    from my point of view You wrote:
    I think the big problem is that writers like Rogue enough to involve her with their favorite character as more than girl in love.
    i know that this is wrong interpretation but i can't find other.
    I just meant that it makes Rogue get stuck with a lot of unnecessary relationships that can hurt her character or lead to bad stories. It is nothing that complicated. Not that they all do of course. Kitty is a much better example of it though. Each new book she is in she gets saddled with a romance and many of them have felt very suspect, Wisdom, Iceman, or Star-Lord. I suppose I would like to see more female writers get a chance to write Rogue's character to see how they would handle her romantic life.

  15. #11130
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Eww no, Rogue was horrible in the 90s. She was entertaining in that AoA mini (Astonishing) and had some nice moments here and there, but for the most part all the romance went way overboard and really ruined her character.

    Gambit or Magneto, I could care less, when you strip a character down to who she is chasing after is when you've lost me. That should never be what makes the character, this is superhero comics, not a romance novel. That's Bella Swan right there and no thanks, I'm not here for that.

    Rogue is best when she is focusing on other things or dealing with issues and problems that have less to do with romance. Her dealing with wanting to control of her powers, her trauma with Cody, her villainous past with Mystique & Destiny, and everything to do with Ms Marvel is great stuff and was played well by Claremont.

    But when you strip all the complexity of intimacy, insecurity, and loneliness that comes from her powers to just "I can't touch my boyfriend, boo hoo", you've missed 90% of what makes Rogue a great character. That's why Movie Rogue will always be a horrible interpretation of her character, as they never really even touched half of what made Rogue - Rogue.
    No, no, no..she wasn't horrible. She was entertaining. She had attitude..better outfits...consistent stories...and was maybe the most readable of all x females.

    She wasn't chasing Magneto...she was trying to save him from himself and all she WANTED from LeBeau was for him to be a real man and tell the truth. But he chose to lie and deceive..and the writers stretched all of that out.
    Last edited by JasonEsta; 05-15-2017 at 01:46 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •