Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Shinick's "Hobgoblin" Breaks Into the Hero Business

Kevin Shinick explains how Hobgoblin applies his business acumen to the world of superheroics when the alignment inversions of "AXIS" hit the Marvel U.

Full article here.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Kevin Shinick explains how Hobgoblin applies his business acumen to the world of superheroics when the alignment inversions of "AXIS" hit the Marvel U.

Full article here.
    This sounds like a /hell/ of a lot of fun. The Hobgoblin's villain franchising idea being applied to superheroes too is /even better/.

So is this actually his thing now, or is it some wacky bizarro story like the Hulk turning black and flipping his name around?

Hilarious. Interesting for sure. This writer seems to "get" Kingsley very well.
    Last edited by normanosborn; 09-02-2014 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    So is this actually his thing now, or is it some wacky bizarro story like the Hulk turning black and flipping his name around?
    It's a thing taking place over the course of AXIS, if you mean the alignment inversion.

This really does sound like it could be entertaining and may be one of the books I look into in the AXIS era next to Mighty Avengers.
    Last edited by Ceebiro; 09-02-2014 at 07:47 AM.

So we are going to see a mini-series where a reformed villain sells the rights to old superhero identities to people looking to be heroes? That actually sounds like the premise of a really cool ongoing series, I'd probably buy it.

I do wonder how obscure the identities will get though?
    Last edited by sifighter; 09-02-2014 at 10:25 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Wonderful art, looks fun--can't wait for this to come out.

Does look interesting and fun, like the art work from what I've seen, will definitely be giving this a try.

This really has the makings to be a VERY entertaining mini. I'll be buying this one up in singles and trade.
    And behold I shall be a blight upon the land and everything I touch shall wither and die.

Eh, I'm not really buying into the whole AXIS thing. Spiderverse has me interested but Anya possibly getting screwed over because no one bothered to google her name or read a wiki about her really has me questioning that as well. If they can't even get a 616 character right than what're the odds they'll get any of the characters right?

Pretty low.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Eh, I'm not really buying into the whole AXIS thing. Spiderverse has me interested but Anya possibly getting screwed over because no one bothered to google her name or read a wiki about her really has me questioning that as well. If they can't even get a 616 character right than what're the odds they'll get any of the characters right?

Pretty low.
    I think it's really way too early to get to conclusions like that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post

Pretty low.
    Give superior foes of spiderman a try, and you'll know why some ppl are excited about this particuar genre of book

Marvel REALLY is into the "let's turn a villain into a quasi or total good guy" thing right now, aren't they?

But, yeah, this does look kinda fun. I have always actually liked the Hobgoblin's 'look' over the Green Goblin's (though obviously it owes a ton to the original) and ultimately, Hobby was a more scary villain because he wasn't bat guano crazy like Osborn was. He was more cool and calculated. In the old days, all you had to do to defeat Gobby was to confuse him about his identity and/or make some reference to Harry and he'd go under. This sort of reminds me of the brief attempt at making Phil Urich a good "goblin". Hopefully this will be a bit more successful.

Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    Marvel REALLY is into the "let's turn a villain into a quasi or total good guy" thing right now, aren't they?

But, yeah, this does look kinda fun. I have always actually liked the Hobgoblin's 'look' over the Green Goblin's (though obviously it owes a ton to the original) and ultimately, Hobby was a more scary villain because he wasn't bat guano crazy like Osborn was. He was more cool and calculated. In the old days, all you had to do to defeat Gobby was to confuse him about his identity and/or make some reference to Harry and he'd go under. This sort of reminds me of the brief attempt at making Phil Urich a good "goblin". Hopefully this will be a bit more successful.
    Well, Marvel's obviously in the business of selling books. If that means making Venom a good guy, making Doc Ock Spider-man, or giving Spidey's B-list enemies a monthly, they'll do it if it moves comics.

Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post

Anti-heroes sell. As usual, though, comics are a bit behind the cultural moment. xD

That said, this is only temporary anyways.... unless the Hobgoblin mini sells gangbusters, anyways.