Super Moderator

Default THE COLOR BARRIER: Complainers, Navigators and The Mission Ahead

Joseph Phillip Illidge brings his column "The Color Barrier" to a close with a preview of what's to come from his new CBR series: "The Mission."

Full article here.

<Let's talk to them.>
    <Let's become them.>

Joe, very insightful article. I do agree that Business stops for no one, nor any group...
    and as you know, I am doing my part. My preference is to ALWAYS work with the Best, and there are many creators being overlooked for various reasons.

If the Corporate Two are not interested in these Titans of Talent, that's their loss.
    The Art of War teaches to "Rob the Burning House" (of Ideas)!

Best to you!

The system is set in opposition so why follow it? It is also a behemoth that cannot anticipate change and adjust in a timely fashion. That said it is huge!

For Minorities or others outside the only way to break in--is to ignore them--Look at Hip hop Music..Major labels ignored it as a fad--just like it did Do-wop, Jazz, Rock N Roll, Rhythm and Blues, etc. All pushed forward by independent labels--that utilized unorthodox methods.

An outside (the big companies) venue of distribution, and promotion is needed. Where are the comic equivalents of Motown, Def Jam, Rocafella, Shady Records?

If Watson and Holmes
    Xombi
    John Woo's 7 Brothers
    Miss : Better Living Through Crime
    Black Dynamite
    Bayou
    Nola
    Afrodisiac
    Antoine Sharpe: The Atheist - Incarnate
    ShotCallerz
    Blokheads
    Artesia
    Full Color
    '85
    ETC were under one banner and promoted unconventionally..it would make people take notice.
    Also for those looking for diversity--they would know where to find it.

What am I saying? We need a minority Image-like Publisher. a home for Creator owned titles.
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 09-02-2014 at 10:16 PM.
    “Humans see what they want to see.”
    My webcomic Updated Weekly
    Twitter
    Blog

I also disagree that complainers do not contribute to the cause. They do--

a) they motivate those who feel the same way to take action.
    b) the background noise alarms to a problem.
    c) they fuel change.
    Twitter
    Blog

BANNED

The article states that the work must be equal to the stuff that is being produced. The artists on most Big 2 books have done life drawing, as the best art teacher in the Bay Area (Mr. Bradford of Merritt College) always said. A man more talented than Charles Dana Gibson who demanded to be called Black, not anything "of color" as he put it.

Who tried to help EVERYONE wanting to break into comics, and pointed out that if anyone wsnted to be lime Kane, Grell or Colan they had to do LIFE DRAWING.

A great man whom I miss dearly.

Quote Originally Posted by TroubleWithTrebles View Post
    The article states that the work must be equal to the stuff that is being produced. The artists on most Big 2 books have done life drawing, as the best art teacher in the Bay Area (Mr. Bradford of Merritt College) always said. A man more talented than Charles Dana Gibson who demanded to be called Black, not anything "of color" as he put it.

Who tried to help EVERYONE wanting to break into comics, and pointed out that if anyone wsnted to be lime Kane, Grell or Colan they had to do LIFE DRAWING.

A great man whom I miss dearly.
    And writers?
    I think Life Drawing is important but no the be all and end all.

If a person draws life style well..all it will get them is headhunted for a position at the big 2. And the problem will remain.
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 09-02-2014 at 10:29 PM.
    Twitter
    Blog

"As far as I can tell, the comic book community of color, comprised of the fans, creators, and employees of color in the business and consumer groups, can be broken down into four categories: Complainers, the Apathetic, Fighters and Navigators."

Seriously, what a load of judgmental B.S. Who appointed you the judge of the comic book community of color?

Are you saying that Complainers, the Apathetic, Fighters and Navigators." do not exist in any other community'?

You could have just as easily stated the four categories as
    • Critics
    • Those who want to just edit, write, draw and read comics
    • Challengers of the status quo
    • Community organizers
    Your very language is denigrating

For the record, where would the Civil Rights Movements, Women's Rights, Gay Rights the overturning of Apartheid, Health care and now the challenges to Immigration be if it wasn't for Complainers and Fighters who ultimately inspire the Apathetic and give the Navigators the leverage to force the opposition to negotiate?

And don't discount the Complainers in the comic industry especially as it relates to the Black Panther and Captain Marvel on the big screen. Their concerns reached the ears of Kevin Ferge who replied

“It’s a question I get asked more than anything else — more than Iron Man 4, more than Avengers 3. That’s sort of the first time that’s really happened to us. That makes a difference. That’s something we have to pay attention to.”
    I agree, the leaders of a new age are among us.
    Let's talk to them.
    But let's respect them