Page 186 of 246 FirstFirst ... 86136176182183184185186187188189190196236 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,790 of 3687

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    You mean Claremont, right?
    I disagree. I think this was cheesy. That's just my opinion but it's not a literary device I like.
    I think Claremont's writing improved immensely when Byrne took over (two guesses why) and there's were certainly less descriptive captions, which was good because they were blocking the art work, which is fantastic.
    Further, Claremont imo even after Byrne left continued to pick it up, but I feel he went off the tracks around issue #240 or so and I haven't been able to read him after that.
    All this said, I would recommend the book as I realize I'm in the minority here.
    I think the way comics have evolved, you'll always come across something that comes off as "cheesy" or goofy in retrospect. That speaks more to how far the medium has come in the 35+ years and what your biases are with respect to modern style dialogue and presentation. That said, the stories in UXM v.1 are more than an exercise in nostalgia for X-fans- In it's own historical context it was a ground breaking title and you can see how it evolved into that with those omnibuses.

Quote Originally Posted by csista View Post
    Has anyone else noticed IST doesn't ship as quickly as they used to? Usually I don't mind due to backlog, but I want my Infinity Gauntlet ASAP, so this time it's frustrating.
    Odd, because mine shipped next day. I think this will be their most "surge" ordered book, would expect some delays on fulfillment.

Quote Originally Posted by canadianaidan64 View Post
    Would you guys recommend the uncanny xmen omnibus 1 to someone who

A) hasn't read any x men comics or any marvel at all really, but enjoyed the movies

And

B) doesn't like 'goofy' silver age comics or anything pre-1980 (the oldest comic I liked was new teen titans by wolfman and Perez)

I want to break into the marvel universe and am wondering if it's a good place to start.
    If you liked New Teen Titans by Wolfman/Perez then you would love Uncanny X-Men Omnibus vol 1! (99.9 % guaranteed). The material is considered contemporaneous. I had always been a Claremont X-Men reader as a kid, never having read DC, but I fell in love with the Titans when I bought the omnibuses a few years ago. Claremont's X-Men is definitely not silver age and would go on to influence comics to this day. It's a must read!

Quote Originally Posted by canadianaidan64 View Post
    Would you guys recommend the uncanny xmen omnibus 1 to someone who

A) hasn't read any x men comics or any marvel at all really, but enjoyed the movies

And

B) doesn't like 'goofy' silver age comics or anything pre-1980 (the oldest comic I liked was new teen titans by wolfman and Perez)

I want to break into the marvel universe and am wondering if it's a good place to start.
    Basically you're describing me. I like the movies, I've never read X-Men and in Marvel I've so far only read Silver Age Spiderman.
    I'm going through UXM1 right now and I'm digging it. Of course YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUserName12 View Post
    I think you meant Claremont!
    Duh! I was reading the quote that mentioned Michelinie's Iron Man and had a complete brain fart.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    You mean Claremont, right?
    I disagree. I think this was cheesy. That's just my opinion but it's not a literary device I like.
    Again, I think the story ideas are good, but the dialogue is borderline Stan Lee bad. I mean, come on, the characters are calling Cyclops "one-eye."
    Really? That's as lame as when the Avengers would call Giant Man "high pockets" or "tall pockets" or whatever ridiculous name it was.
    Also, characterization is all over the place. One panel, someone is mad, the next they're best friends (and these are quick sequences so action isn't taking place off page.)
    I think Claremont's writing improved immensely when Byrne took over (two guesses why) and there's were certainly less descriptive captions, which was good because they were blocking the art work, which is fantastic.
    Further, Claremont imo even after Byrne left continued to pick it up, but I feel he went off the tracks around issue #240 (although some was probably due to editorial team interference) or so and I haven't been able to read him after that.
    All this said, I would recommend the book as I realize I'm in the minority here.
    Hmmm I went from ASM2 to UXM1 and I feel that the flow and tone is easier to read (not that ASM is hard to read). It's still fairly Silver age but the delivery is different. In ASM is very introspective and jabs at enemies, whereas in UXM there's lots of intra-group dialogue. It's subtle but it makes a difference in the reading experience.

As for Cyclops 'one-eye' as far as I can recall it's really only Wolverine (and maybe a few villains) calling him that and he does that to everyone bub! Either way it doesn't bother me, they are people from different countries and cultures and it always happens. I'm French and we call the Brits roastbeef, the Swiss slow, the Portuguese hairy and 'conchita' and so on and so forth... it's ubiquitous in any culture.
    As far as characterization it varies a bit but not so much as to be shocking to me.
    Last edited by Drakul; 07-04-2014 at 08:52 AM.
    "Could this be... and omen?!"

I'm finishing up Uncanny X-Men Vol. 1 and think the stories are great. However, there definitely is way too much text, so a lot of the time I look at the art and skip most of the text since its usually describing what we already see and know.

Quote Originally Posted by PrankT View Post
    I'm finishing up Uncanny X-Men Vol. 1 and think the stories are great. However, there definitely is way too much text, so a lot of the time I look at the art and skip most of the text since its usually describing what we already see and know.
    I'm used to Belgian comics which focus more on dialogue than art often so it doesn't bother me. But I agree Cockrum's art deserves splash pages
    "Could this be... and omen?!"

I think I'd be more patient and read every word (like i used to do when I was a kid) if I didn't have so many books in the backlog. I enjoy what I'm reading, but want to keep moving along!

Quote Originally Posted by PrankT View Post
    I think editing the text as you read is essential for reading older comics. I change some phrases or words here or there in my mind as I read and its not uncommon for me to skip paragraphs or dialog that crosses the line into unnecessary exposition or even indulgent narrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakul View Post
    I'm used to Belgian comics which focus more on dialogue than art often so it doesn't bother me. But I agree Cockrum's art deserves splash pages
    The problem isn't that there are a lot of words, it's that they add nothing and often detract from the flow of the story. I get tired of reading an older comic in which the characters need to explain out loud what the art is depicting as if we're all too dumb to figure it out. Or reading a character monologue (often overly melodramatic) for paragraphs about how sad they are or how in love they are or whatever. Writers have become much better at conveying mood and internal thoughts and feelings over the decades without the word vomit.

Golden age books are the worst for that. In the two I've read, the green lantern and batman archives, literally everything the characters do is narrated. Halfway through the book I began to skip all the text boxes and it became much more like reading an actual comic and less like reading the script of a descriptive video for a blind person.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

As painful as some older dialogue/narration can be, I never skip it because I need to feel like I got my money's worth!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

I LOVE reading all the text in SA Spidey but it's more painful in X-men. But Clairmont X-Men is a big improvement over SA stuff. In fact the first time I read SA X-Men I was disappointed and wondered why it wasn't cancelled sooner. Clairmont really made a difference.

I also liked SA Avengers so that says a lot about my terrible taste in books. :P
    Fan of Witchblade, The Darkness, Artifacts, The Avengers, X-Men, Deadpool, Wolverine, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Locke and Key and so much more

I think it would be embarrassing to admit that reading a comic book was too much of a chore, especially since even at its densest a comic is just a fraction of the text found in a chapter of a real book aimed at a sixth-grade reader. But I guess that shouldn't surprise me when today's Marvel comics often have no more text than the superhero Golden Books I read my children. Sheesh!

I don't think people posting about comics on an online message board get embarrassed. As a child I read everything; as an adult I ignore the superfluous. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    I think it would be embarrassing to admit that reading a comic book was too much of a chore, especially since even at its densest a comic is just a fraction of the text found in a chapter of a real book aimed at a sixth-grade reader. But I guess that shouldn't surprise me when today's Marvel comics often have no more text than the superhero Golden Books I read my children. Sheesh!
    It's not that reading the captions is a a chore or that I don't have time for it, just that they interrupt the flow of the story and detract from the impact of the art .