Page 467 of 467 FirstFirst ... 367417457463464465466467
Results 6,991 to 7,003 of 7003

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    I'm very bothered by it. If Hulk wasn't a fictional character I'd say it's disrespectful.
    I think it's disrespectful to the readers to keep something this great away from them.

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    It's free market capitalism, or at least a close version of it.

Why should only books be sold for no more than what's on the cover? It's an extremely tenuous line to draw. People are entitled to sell the books (and many other non-essential consumer goods) for however much they can manage to sell it for. It's just a book of non-critical information. No one needs these rare books. People choose to pay high prices for them. If people don't pay the high prices, the market will eventually adjust somewhat. And in the end, everyone is going to value books and their money differently. Why stifle the basic premise of supply and demand for something as trivial as comic books?

In my opinion, comic books/trade collections from the big two aren't worth the price printed on their cover 95% of the time. Most of the time they're barely worth HALF of that. But that's just my opinion.

The market for rare/OOP/etc. books wouldn't exist if Marvel had a more comprehensive plan for re-prints. In part I understand their dilemma. There's only so much space on store shelves or even in warehouses. Retailers only have so much money to spend on stocking their shelves, special orders aside. Marvel and DC are constantly pumping out new titles that need to get on those shelves too. There are very real limits to how many books they can have out there at any one time. But at the same time, if Marvel hadn't overprinted so badly for what feels like a decade of remaindered books clogging used book stores and Amazon listings, maybe they could have used that money and resources to bring us something like this Alias Omnibus reprint a handful of years ago instead of now.
    I agree with that! I'd almost never pay cover price for a Marvel collected edition because they're too overpriced. I wince at the 50% off prices I see online and will only by at my LCS on the clearance rack. You're right about the part of the problem being that small minority of people willing to pay a small fortune for a comic book--it's that and the greed a lot of comic collectors have that results in some of those Ebay prices. Paying $150 for a Spider-Man MMW seems as ridiculous to me as paying $200 for an Alias Omnibus, but evidently there are people with more money than sense out there. I don't believe anyone should try and stifle the supply and demand of any book, though.

I, for one, am glad for Marvel's "overprinting", though. It has kept after market prices reasonable for many books and prevented sharks on eBay from asking $600 for books like ASM vol 1 omnibus.....recently that is. I don't think "overprinting" Squadron Supreme Omnibus has been delaying the reprinting of books like Alias, though.

Good old Amazon. They've just raised price for Alias Omnibus from 61 to 75. I'll just wait and get it from marketplace seller for 40.

If I ever had to pay anything near cover price on comics I probably wouldn't even bother getting into the hobby. It's just way to damn expensive. I'll just consider myself lucky that sites like IST, CGN etc are available to me. I don't even know how overseas buyers deal with it. God bless you for being that committed to what you love.

Quick question I hope someone can help me out with. I made a list of all releases that interested me that spans until the end of this year. I just used CGN's "Coming Soon" section since it was the easiest and longest outlook I can find that was convenient, but some releases keep changing dates. Can anyone recommend a site that always has an accurate release listing of everything coming out in a 1-2 week period?
    Last edited by danmar85; Today at 06:43 AM.

How about Previewsworld.com?

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    If I ever had to pay anything near cover price on comics I probably wouldn't even bother getting into the hobby. It's just way to damn expensive. I'll just consider myself lucky that sites like IST, CGN etc are available to me. I don't even know how overseas buyers deal with it. God bless you for being that committed to what you love.

Quick question I hope someone can help me out with. I made a list of all releases that interested me that spans until the end of this year. I just used CGN's "Coming Soon" section since it was the easiest and longest outlook I can find that was convenient, but some releases keep changing dates. Can anyone recommend a site that always has an accurate release listing of everything coming out in a 1-2 week period?
    Comiclist.com
    RIP Superior foes of spider-man! We will miss you!

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    I only buy books that (a) I really want to read and (b) are worth the price. Hawkeye Omnibus for example. I really want to read it but 100 dollars for 23 issues? It's bad enough that I'm buying everything at their solicited price. Also I have a "finish current reading before buying a new one" rule. Keeps me from hoarding stuff. Downside is a lot of stuff gets out of print before I even get a chance at ordering them.

Once in a while I go to IST or CGN and just cry myself to sleep while looking at the prices.

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    It's free market capitalism, or at least a close version of it.

Why should only books be sold for no more than what's on the cover? It's an extremely tenuous line to draw. People are entitled to sell the books (and many other non-essential consumer goods) for however much they can manage to sell it for. It's just a book of non-critical information. No one needs these rare books. People choose to pay high prices for them. If people don't pay the high prices, the market will eventually adjust somewhat. And in the end, everyone is going to value books and their money differently. Why stifle the basic premise of supply and demand for something as trivial as comic books?

In my opinion, comic books/trade collections from the big two aren't worth the price printed on their cover 95% of the time. Most of the time they're barely worth HALF of that. But that's just my opinion.

The market for rare/OOP/etc. books wouldn't exist if Marvel had a more comprehensive plan for re-prints. In part I understand their dilemma. There's only so much space on store shelves or even in warehouses. Retailers only have so much money to spend on stocking their shelves, special orders aside. Marvel and DC are constantly pumping out new titles that need to get on those shelves too. There are very real limits to how many books they can have out there at any one time. But at the same time, if Marvel hadn't overprinted so badly for what feels like a decade of remaindered books clogging used book stores and Amazon listings, maybe they could have used that money and resources to bring us something like this Alias Omnibus reprint a handful of years ago instead of now.
    The funny thing about this hobby is that we basically have the hobby because of the direct market, but the direct market is what causes some of the supply issues. I collect Grateful Dead CDs, for the past few years the grateful dead website has offered a limited edition subscription service. For about $100.00 they send you four concert albums/CDs throughout the year. The concerts are totally random, so for better or worse you may get a few that you would never seek out otherwise. The first year they offered the subscription it was a limited edition of 12,000 units, each year they have upped the number of units sold by 1,000. Most of the CDs sell on eBay for high prices after release. Iím sure copies are made and shared after the official release is put out there, and while they are limited edition sets, I believe the band has or will offer the music via download, so while you may not be able to get the physical media that is collectible, you can still purchase and listen to the music. Of course there are different production costs associated with selling music compared to a Marvel omnibus, but I doubt we will ever see something like this from comic companies. Because the comic companies need to keep the direct market alive, they really canít offer some of the collections we want, or want back in print. I would love to see a print on demand option or, a Spider-man Omnibus/Epic subscription offered directly from Marvel. I highly doubt that the voting for the 75th anniversary Omnibus had any impact on what was printed, but Iíd love to see Marvel really engage the fans on what we want to buy. At this point the best option we have is probably preordering at our LCS or online to send that message. Of course it seems like a number of these omnibus collections are being announced with a 3 month rather than the previous 6 month advanced notice, so I wonder how much Marvel is even looking at preorders these days.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post

I, for one, am glad for Marvel's "overprinting", though. It has kept after market prices reasonable for many books and prevented sharks on eBay from asking $600 for books like ASM vol 1 omnibus.....recently that is. I don't think "overprinting" Squadron Supreme Omnibus has been delaying the reprinting of books like Alias, though.
    I just hope that the overprinting wasn't such a horrible miscalculation on Marvel's part that it leads the company to not taking a chance and collecting something else that might not normally get an omnibus treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    I agree with that! I'd almost never pay cover price for a Marvel collected edition because they're too overpriced. I wince at the 50% off prices I see online and will only by at my LCS on the clearance rack. You're right about the part of the problem being that small minority of people willing to pay a small fortune for a comic book--it's that and the greed a lot of comic collectors have that results in some of those Ebay prices. Paying $150 for a Spider-Man MMW seems as ridiculous to me as paying $200 for an Alias Omnibus, but evidently there are people with more money than sense out there. I don't believe anyone should try and stifle the supply and demand of any book, though.

I don't think overprinting certain Omnibuses is as problematic as overprinting literally hundreds of regular trades and hardcovers that still aren't moving at $5 a pop or whatever it may be. At least there's usually a strong market for the Omnibus overprints and retailers have faith those remainders Omnibuses will sell. To me those regular TPBs and HCs seem like a huge waste or resources and money that could have gone to reprints of collector books that would have sold well, like I'm sure the Alias Omni is bound to.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny77 View Post
    The funny thing about this hobby is that we basically have the hobby because of the direct market, but the direct market is what causes some of the supply issues. I collect Grateful Dead CDs, for the past few years the grateful dead website has offered a limited edition subscription service. For about $100.00 they send you four concert albums/CDs throughout the year. The concerts are totally random, so for better or worse you may get a few that you would never seek out otherwise. The first year they offered the subscription it was a limited edition of 12,000 units, each year they have upped the number of units sold by 1,000. Most of the CDs sell on eBay for high prices after release. I’m sure copies are made and shared after the official release is put out there, and while they are limited edition sets, I believe the band has or will offer the music via download, so while you may not be able to get the physical media that is collectible, you can still purchase and listen to the music. Of course there are different production costs associated with selling music compared to a Marvel omnibus, but I doubt we will ever see something like this from comic companies. Because the comic companies need to keep the direct market alive, they really can’t offer some of the collections we want, or want back in print. I would love to see a print on demand option or, a Spider-man Omnibus/Epic subscription offered directly from Marvel. I highly doubt that the voting for the 75th anniversary Omnibus had any impact on what was printed, but I’d love to see Marvel really engage the fans on what we want to buy. At this point the best option we have is probably preordering at our LCS or online to send that message. Of course it seems like a number of these omnibus collections are being announced with a 3 month rather than the previous 6 month advanced notice, so I wonder how much Marvel is even looking at preorders these days.
    I don't think Marvel limits what they print just to enable the DM to mark up what hasn't sold yet. While LCS/DM shops are notorious for doing mark ups, I think these days, most of them are more likely to sell you "rare" trade collections at cover price, except for certain opportunists/ultimate capitalists like CGN. I think the crazy high mark ups come mostly from average joes these days. People here frequently talk about flipping their Omnis once they become rare. And that's fine. But I think that's what is making up most of the market as opposed to stores or dealers trying to rake in even more cash on OOP books.

The direct market is still important because single issues help fund trades. At least that's what I read somewhere. If it weren't for the single issues, the implication is books would be more expensive if companies had to gamble going straight to a graphic novel book approach for releases if the direct market for singles didn't exist. Although I do wish companies would re-evaluate their financing procedures to enable more direct to GN/Book format and let the single issue DM die.

Despite my wishes, I don't think that will happen with the availability of digital. DM stores might very well die or at least have to re-evaluate their core sales and become more like specialized book stores (meaning no new single issues) and try to make their nut on other things like toys/statues/collectibles/etc. Comic companies can easily cut out the middle men of the direct market (stores and Diamond) with digital, especially if they own/control their own digital marketplace (as opposed to a new middleman like Comixology).

My point being - the DM is what brought comics to this point for better or for worse. But the physical DM isn't going to last forever. It'll eventually go digital. I think trades/GNs are the way of the future if you want something physical. While the printed world is having problems of its own, it's not quite on its death bed yet. So there's definitely room for physical book collections. But again, there's only so much room for books which limits what gets a physical reprint.

To take my thoughts to even more of an extreme, I'd prefer comics publishing to go digital and lose the single issue/chapter format all together and take a full trade arc or GN release approach. I think that has the potential to eliminate this insane decompression and the lack of full story arcs within even a trade or two worth of material. Release those longer collections/stories first digitally, then the ones that are worthy of being printed on paper because of quality/critical reviews/very high sales, print those in deluxe/OSHC editions for collectors.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I just hope that the overprinting wasn't such a horrible miscalculation on Marvel's part that it leads the company to not taking a chance and collecting something else that might not normally get an omnibus treatment.
    I might have been worried about that too at one time, but I've all but given up on collecting omnibuses due to several factors such as paper quality, binding quality, cheap paper covers that replaced the faux leather covers, and inconsistent quality control. I pretty much have only been buying masterwork hardcovers this year because both omnibuses I bought had manufacturing defects.

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Not really, been looking for this by myself, price is too damn high.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/X-Men-Infern...men+inferno+hc
    I have all the single issues but now I'm older, there's something about that thick oversized hardcover that I neeeeeeeeeeeeed!

Blackwells & Waterstones are selling it for £54.99 but they say it's "reprinting" so they probably won't be able to get it, just like WH Smiths.

The MMW's are a thing of beauty but they're starting to get up there in price. I'm collecting Daredevil and I think the most recent one was $75, although I did get the CGN 50 percent discount. Still . . .