Thread: Wrestling WWE

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It'll be interesting to see if the shot gun Kairi to the NXT title at Take Over.
    The answer is yes
    https://twitter.com/WWEonESPN/status/907803867571683329

Incredible Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Thank you. Now I know I'm not the only one who realizes that the smarks aren't so smart after all.
    The ones who think they're above getting worked are often the ones who get worked the most. It. Never. Fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo2113 View Post
    I'm glad. This is where he excels. That was a very enjoyable segment. I still stand by the lack of depth on the roster but really glad to see Vince taking the time to appear on Smackdown AND take bumps like that.
    was the blood real? was it not part of the show???

Yes, that blood was real. KO legit headbutted him.

SMACKDOWN

McMahon taking such hits when his age is on the wrong side of 70 is by default the highlight of this episode. Owens is held in very high regard is he's booked for angles like that one, where he shows that he deserves to be the focus of the show. His title reign as Universal Champion should have had this kind of intensity.

MAE YOUNG CLASSIC

A definitely mediocre final act, falling short of the expectations in the lead up to the tournament. It was structured exclusively on both contenders insisting on the focal body parts of their respective opponent, weakening them to prevent fthe other's finishing move. It could have worked if it had been Baszler's approach and stop, but Kairi doing the same exact thing to the detriment of in-ring action was definitely not a wise booking decision. Everything moved too slowly, bad timing was a problem for both performers and it overall lacked both wrestling moves (only 5 from beginning to end, excluding mat-based holds) or significant sequences. The story may have not been told badly, but I have doubts that telling it was actually worth it.

The final verdict: a giant waste.

I don't know whether this was the best we could expect from Baszler, but surely a different finalist would've guaranteed a more show-oriented booking. I had been fearing on the eve of the Women's Tournament that her extra-wrestling starpower risked undercutting the whole thing. This final proved me right.

Furthermore, no on-screen segment to show conflict between the two groups of Horsewomen. Go figure what this tournament was sacrificed to at this point, unless some WWE bigwig wished to level down the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    because the comments land on YouTube is such the arbiter of concern and well being of others
    Oh, so now we live in a reality where the insanely over Sasha Banks hasn't lost her title at the first defense four times in a row, the total package Becky Lynch wasn't exclusively used to put over Alexa Bliss and plays second-fiddle to wrestlers who aren't even a tenth as talented as her, Charlotte Flair wasn't saddled with a "PPV winning streak" that was both harmful and completely wasted before being demoted to Becky Lynch's tag team partner for no recognisable reason and Bayley was morphed into an even dumber version of Eugene?

Unless Triple H puts his foot down and tells Vinnie Mac that Asuka has to receive decent booking once she's officially a member of the main roster, the former Kana is toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El Summers View Post
    Because Cena's trying to break Roman's confidence while Roman sees right through it. There's a reason why Cena's constantly pandering to the wrestling dork crowd who whine and bitch about Roman while Reigns doesn't bother to dip into the seedier shit that Cena's pulled like the Mickie James/Ken Doane stuff. It's not all that difficult.
    Unsurprisingly, every time somebody tries to justify Roman Reigns's total lack of acting skills (which are just a little less funny than the attempts to show that his wrestling skills have become better), the picture that inevitably comes out is that of a man who never undergoes any kind of emotion besides a UAAAAAHHH! on the ring every now and then. Since I watch wrestling to see people feel the emotions I expect them to feel at every turn (because that's what professional wrestling is about, at the end of the story), I think that your explanation paints an even more depressing picture of the situation.

Invincible Member

Oh thank all of the H's that they didn't have Kairi lose just to set up that HW vs. HW angle. It wasn't needed, there are plenty of other ways to set it up.

Hmm, I wonder who her opponent will be at the next takeover (hopefully Nikki Cross).

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    Unsurprisingly, every time somebody tries to justify Roman Reigns's total lack of acting skills (which are just a little less funny than the attempts to show that his wrestling skills have become better), the picture that inevitably comes out is that of a man who never undergoes any kind of emotion besides a UAAAAAHHH! on the ring every now and then. Since I watch wrestling to see people feel the emotions I expect them to feel at every turn (because that's what professional wrestling is about, at the end of the story), I think that your explanation paints an even more depressing picture of the situation.
    Sure thing, bro. /handwank

Mighty Member

Very happy to see Kairi Sane win. I honestly wasn't expecting that. Baszler also looked good and I haven't been that impressed with her during the other matches. It may not have been the best match but it was quite entertaining. This is just the beginning for both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, you know if Vince is inserting his own family in a Wrestlers storyline it means he's heavily invested in them. I think a feud with a McMahon is actually bigger than a world title push in a lot of ways, at least as far as spotlight goes.

I think Owens is obviously the most well rounded sports entertainer in the WWE of this generation... it's cool that Vince recognizes that.
    I agree, most times feuding with a McMahon elevates a WWE Superstar faster than a title reign. Kevin Owens was fighting for a midcard championship and as soon as he's put in a storyline with a McMahon, he gets more screen time, main event segments on television, and took out the chairman of the company. That's almost more memorable than his entire title reign.

I do agree Reigns could work on his acting skills, but hard to pin it all on him as they write what he has to say and they give him way to many lines about yards and dogs. However he has shown to be pretty good in big matches, he is not the greatest ever in the ring. Unleashing Cena on the mic on him has highlighted that he still has ways to go on the mic, but Cena will make most people look like crap on the mic. I would like Reigns to change up the finisher the superman punch just not a fan of it.

Mighty Member

Reigns' Superman Punch is similar to Cena's Five Knuckle Shuffle and Orton's DDT off the middle rope...it'll never go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    I do agree Reigns could work on his acting skills, but hard to pin it all on him as they write what he has to say and they give him way to many lines about yards and dogs. However he has shown to be pretty good in big matches, he is not the greatest ever in the ring. Unleashing Cena on the mic on him has highlighted that he still has ways to go on the mic, but Cena will make most people look like crap on the mic. I would like Reigns to change up the finisher the superman punch just not a fan of it.
    In a mic duel with Cena, almost anyone will end up looking bad. Even Rock had a little trouble hanging with Cena when they were both live on the mic together.

I think WWE essentially forced Reigns into a situation where he HAD to get better on the mic or he was going to get eated alive. And though I don't think he was Cena's equal by any means, I think he cut some of the better promos of his career. Honestly I don't think anyone in the modern era can get the better of Cena on the mic... but for Reigns to even hold his own to some degree almost has to be a win for him in a sense because he's in there with the best.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    That was quick. Honestly, I don't mind. Kairi Sane is popular with the WWE Universe and has been given more recognition than most, if not all, NXT Women Superstars. As somebody mentioned earlier, Nikki Cross would be a great opponent. She's batshit crazy and I think her and Kairi would have a great feud.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo2113 View Post
    That was quick. Honestly, I don't mind. Kairi Sane is popular with the WWE Universe and has been given more recognition than most, if not all, NXT Women Superstars. As somebody mentioned earlier, Nikki Cross would be a great opponent. She's batshit crazy and I think her and Kairi would have a great feud.
    Yeah, unless they wanna do a face vs face with Ember Moon, Nikki is probably the most obvious choice.

Invincible Member TheInvisibleMan's Avatar

@Powertool

im fairly newish around here, but for someone who is fairly newish with less than 500 posts, you suddenly swagger in here throwing your wang around expecting people to take you seriously and throwing your opinions around as "fact"

"the tournament was a giant waste"

tell that to my 12 year old niece who has been watching it non stop and has me and her father buying her Shimmer DVDs

tell that to the countless women in that audience who lived and died with every match

This is why I hate wrestling fans sometimes, can't think past your the point of your own nose
    “If you listen to the fans, you’ll find yourself sitting with them”

- Joe Kuharich

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    @Powertool

im fairly newish around here, but for someone who is fairly newish with less than 500 posts, you suddenly swagger in here throwing your wang around expecting people to take you seriously and throwing your opinions around as "fact"

"the tournament was a giant waste"

tell that to my 12 year old niece who has been watching it non stop and has me and her father buying her Shimmer DVDs

tell that to the countless women in that audience who lived and died with every match

This is why I hate wrestling fans sometimes, can't think past your the point of your own nose
    I'll be honest ... I was a little worried the MYC wouldn't hold up in comparison to the CWC or the UK tournament, as both of those arguably had the best in-ring action bell to bell the WWE product has ever delivered.

But I think it definately held up well. I wouldn't say it was as good per say... but overall it was a lot of fun. The sheer variety of different women and styles made for an interesting show.