Page 517 of 517 FirstFirst ... 17417467507513514515516517
Results 7,741 to 7,745 of 7745

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    In which case ignoring said characterizations would only be a good thing. What is there to lose coming off of Abnett's run? He's done the lion's share of establishing Donna and Garth in Rebirth continuity, and the final results leave a LOT to be desired. The history of Donna that formed her prior characterizations are even explicitly non-canon thanks to her current origin.
    I never said I was against ignoring Abnett's characterizations, but that all the moreso doesn't make me for an "anything goes" characterization at the whim of another writer.

And if there's any Grayson collaborator I'd want to see try a hand at the Titans, it's Seeley. He'd be a much better fit then King in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    He did this a lot in Grayson too. Remember this?

No, I remember that one. That one's not weird. It's an I am Spartacus scene.

I don't know if I can explain why the repetition of Bat Cat is weird in comparison to this. Maybe because the I am Robin scene has a purpose. Establishing what the kids think and how many are affected by this movement before Damian shuts them down and Dick gave them a reality check.

Meanwhile, I don't know what's the purpose of the Bat Cat thing. It seems to be there just because. Since there's no meaning, it feels weird.

Oh and the fact that it happens every issue.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; Today at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Back than he had a co writer.
    Point. I hesitated to mention this because I don't know how much Seeley and King influenced each other, and King's fine when making one shot stories on his own.

Since it was brought up however, I'll mention that King did say in an interview that at first he wanted to make a really dark, serious, angsty story about Dick's time in Spyral. It was only after Seeley reminded him that Dick isn't an angsty character that he decided to drop what he now calls Sad Sack Dick Grayson.

This also reminds me about his Catwoman. King admitted he kinda let loose on her, and Joelle Jones had to remind him that Catwoman isn't perfect.

Extraordinary Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I never said I was against ignoring Abnett's characterizations, but that all the moreso doesn't make me for an "anything goes" characterization at the whim of another writer.
    But we may not necessary get an "anything goes" approach with King on their characterizations. He doesn't really do it with every character. Complaints about dialogue aside, Bruce, Dick, Damian, Jason, Bane, Selina, the Ventriloquist, Alfred, the Joker (if that brief wedding prelude is anything to go by), Clark and Lois, Hal, Ivy (despite by intense dislike about white washing her, its what fans wanted apparently), Talia, Gordon, Swamp Thing, etc. all line up with previous characterizations. Characterizations that could be inconsistent long before King showed up. I feel like people latch onto the poor jobs he's done with Booster and Holly* and exaggerate in applying it to everyone else.

And even if he did it with Donna, I feel there is nothing to lose. She's not the same character she used to be, she can't with her story being so different (and worse). It'd be worth the risk in her case.

*And since her history was a blank slate in Rebirth continuity beyond seemingly her iconic appearance in Year One, even that is fair game.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And if there's any Grayson collaborator I'd want to see try a hand at the Titans, it's Seeley. He'd be a much better fit then King in my opinion.
    That being said, I agree Seeley would be the more reliable choice. He'd have to be very interested though, or else he'd phone it in like he did on parts of Nightwing.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Since it was brought up however, I'll mention that King did say in an interview that at first he wanted to make a really dark, serious, angsty story about Dick's time in Spyral. It was only after Seeley reminded him that Dick isn't an angsty character that he decided to drop what he now calls Sad Sack Dick Grayson.

This also reminds me about his Catwoman. King admitted he kinda let loose on her, and Joelle Jones had to remind him that Catwoman isn't perfect.
    This does show he's receptive to collaborators though and their constructive criticism, and being able to adjust his work accordingly.

I also have to wonder how much of these statements weren't trolling/throwing shade at the fanbase.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; Today at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    But we may not necessary get an "anything goes" approach with King on their characterizations. He doesn't really do it with every character. Complaints about dialogue aside, Bruce, Dick, Damian, Jason, Bane, Selina, the Ventriloquist, Alfred, the Joker (if that brief wedding prelude is anything to go by), Clark and Lois, Hal, Ivy (despite by intense dislike about white washing her, its what fans wanted apparently), Talia, Gordon, Swamp Thing, etc. all line up with previous characterizations. Characterizations that could be inconsistent long before King showed up. I feel like people latch onto the poor jobs he's done with Booster and Holly* and exaggerate in applying it to everyone else.
    People liked his writing of Jason ?
    And even if he did it with Donna, I feel there is nothing to lose. She's not the same character she used to be, she can't with her story being so different (and worse). It'd be worth the risk in her case.
    I don't see it as worth the risk to have Donna being written to be even more unrecognizable.
    That being said, I agree Seeley would be the more reliable choice. He'd have to be very interested though, or else he'd phone it in like he did on parts of Nightwing.
    If the Bludhaven arcs are Seeley's idea of "phoning it in," then it would still be a huge step up from Abnett.