Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Original Sin, #1

The Watcher is found dead. The superhero community must find out who did the deed, and more importantly, who should take the case in Jason Aaron & Mike Deodato's "Original Sin" #1.

Full review here.

Sounds to me that things are starting out pretty good. Granted it looks like it got a average score but it sounds like it did well for a first issue. Can't wait for tomorrow.

The big draw for me is Deodato. Sorry to hear the art wasn't impressive but I'm still checking it out tomorrow.
    DIS GUY MUST BE A ALIEN OR SUTIN - gerybaboona

Did Watcher die in a previous book or does he die in this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Nosocialize View Post
    i think this is where they discover it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosocialize View Post
    I found this so confusing. I read "Original Sin #0" and really loved it. Then I read online what the concept of the event was, to insert, via retcon, major characters/plot points in between iconic early origin material, and I don't like it. The "other spiderbite", the rumored "Angela is Thor/Loki's sister", etc, I hate it all. #0 had such tender storytelling, and a vivid interaction between Nova and The Watcher, so why is that all thrown out the window? I will skip this event, as I doubt any of the outcomes will interest me.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

LOL...Isn't this violating the forum rule of no review before 8am?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
    I found this so confusing. I read "Original Sin #0" and really loved it. Then I read online what the concept of the event was, to insert, via retcon, major characters/plot points in between iconic early origin material, and I don't like it. The "other spiderbite", the rumored "Angela is Thor/Loki's sister", etc, I hate it all. #0 had such tender storytelling, and a vivid interaction between Nova and The Watcher, so why is that all thrown out the window? I will skip this event, as I doubt any of the outcomes will interest me.
    Skipping it won't stop it from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    LOL...Isn't this violating the forum rule of no review before 8am?
    Maybe because CBR Reviews do not (generally) contain spoilers?

Not a bad start in terms of reviews. But historically, Marvel has never had a problem starting events. It has been the ending that has often been a problem. Now lately they have improved with the endings for Age of Ultron and Infinity. But in the grand scheme of things, Marvel tends to falter when it comes to closing out a major event. I hope this isn't the case. This story has a very different setup and premise compared to recent events. It's not built around some big invasion or a superhero battle. It's basically a murder mystery. It's an interesting setup and one that could, if done correctly, really raise the bar. But a good start never hurts.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Certainly a different tone.
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

Quote Originally Posted by yet another View Post
    Maybe because CBR Reviews do not (generally) contain spoilers?
    Thats the idea behind it.

N(ice - Man) britishmixedprotein's Avatar

Hope the Watcher is Avenged And his killer is Brought to Justice .

Quote Originally Posted by britishmixedprotein View Post
    Hope the Watcher is Avenged And his killer is Brought to Justice .
    I'm sure that is NEVER going to happen.

Anyway, thoroughly meh issue. The Avengers discover the Watcher is dead, three teams are formed to investigate, a shadowy glimpse of the villains is provided. That's about it. It's Jason Aaron, so the ending is going to suck donkeys' balls.

Marvel is crap at finishing events, and Age of Ultron and especially Infinity were no improvement. They never manage to get the epic feel right that Geoff Johnson AT HIS BEST manages to pull off at DC (at his less-than-best he screws up regularly as well, witness the utter disaster that was Flashpoint).

The story was always about The Watcher getting killed. That much has been known for months. Original Sin 0 was meant to inform people who didn't already know who the Watcher was via the new Nova, who is essentially a new reader surrogate.