Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 76 to 88 of 88
  1. #76
    Rookie Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    I'm not sure how long ago they stopped being out of print, but Volumes 3 and 4 are getting very hard to find in hardcover now. The best I've found is here for volume 4.
    Praise be Middenway! Thank you!

  2. #77
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    I'm not sure how long ago they stopped being out of print, but Volumes 3 and 4 are getting very hard to find in hardcover now. The best I've found is here for volume 4.
    So, looks like £25.99 is $39.35 in US Dollars?

    Then add on the delivery charge:
    EUROPE DELIVERY - £8.50
    Estimated delivery time: 7 - 8 working days from despatch.

    REST OF THE WORLD DELIVERY - £12.50
    Estimated delivery time: 7 - 10 working days from despatch.
    And looks like £12.50 equals about $19.00 US Dollars.

    (Of course, if SediarSago is in Europe, that's not quite as much of an issue.)

  3. #78
    Newbie Member Rat A Tat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    19

    Default

    I'm going to start diving into the Hellboy universe very soon (I picked up the volume 1 library edition and will go from there). I've never read a single comic, nor seen either of the films. I'm wondering if there is a suggested point in the comics that I should reach before watching the films. Do the films spoil anything in the comics, is there anything I should experience via the comics first? That sort of thing.

  4. #79
    Incredible Member Kees_L's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rat A Tat View Post
    I'm going to start diving into the Hellboy universe very soon (I picked up the volume 1 library edition and will go from there). I've never read a single comic, nor seen either of the films. I'm wondering if there is a suggested point in the comics that I should reach before watching the films. Do the films spoil anything in the comics, is there anything I should experience via the comics first? That sort of thing.
    Basically the films and comics are regarded as entirely different beasts altogether, so basically neither spoil one another,

    about which this interview Mike Mignola did in 2012 seems pretty explanatory:
    http://www.wired.com/2012/10/geeks-guide-mike-mignola/

    (about mr. Mike Mignola conceiving Hellboy as his own creator-owned comic as well as co-plotting both movies together with Guillermo Del Toro).
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Louriť / Dr. Pepper

  5. #80
    Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Backwoods of Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,134

    Default

    What is really neccessary to get started with Hellboy? Was the 2004 film a good description of the origin?

  6. #81
    Spectacular Member Skinkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Easiest way is just with the first book Seed of Destruction. Or the first library edition which contains Sees of Destruction and the second volume, Wake the Devil. First movie has a similar origin, and is based on Seed of Destruction story, but is definitely a beast of its own, not fully compatible with the comics

  7. #82
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    426

    Default

    Hi everyone! I am not entirely new to Hellboy. I've read the first book of the library edition, the 4 war on frogs omnibi, the first vol. of Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. and I just read "Being Human". I have to admit I was ready to give up on the world of Hellboy, but I found the story "Being Human" with Hellboy and Roger to be great! Are there any other stories like that in the Hellboy universe, and could you direct me to them? Thanks!

  8. #83
    Spectacular Member Skinkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Possibly Conquerer Worm (Hellboy trade 5/Library Ed 3), it's the other story of Hellboy and Roger going on a mission together, though you may want to read Almost Colossus first as it gives Roger's full background (Hellboy trade 3/Library Ed 2)

  9. #84
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
    Possibly Conquerer Worm (Hellboy trade 5/Library Ed 3), it's the other story of Hellboy and Roger going on a mission together, though you may want to read Almost Colossus first as it gives Roger's full background (Hellboy trade 3/Library Ed 2)
    Thanks. It wasn't just the duo of Hellboy and Roger that I liked, but the quiter moments between them just talking. Is that kind of character interaction common in Hellboy or B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth?

  10. #85
    Spectacular Member Skinkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    124

    Default

    There is a lot of character stuff across all the series, but I just picked those stories as a lot of the other stuff with Hellboy and Roger carries on some of the same themes, so if you liked Being Human, they'll probably appeal to you

  11. #86
    Mighty Member Dark-Flux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,827

    Default

    Recent or upcoming jump on points?

    Ive read a bunch of early Hellboy/BPRD but nothing over the last few years and am looking to get into more current stuff. That goes for any Mignola related stuff.

    Thanks!
    Currently Reading:
    Strontium Dog: The Kreeler Conspiracy by John Wagner & Carlos Ezquerra
    Monster by Naoki Urasawa

  12. #87
    Incredible Member Kees_L's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Recent or upcoming jump on points?

    Ive read a bunch of early Hellboy/BPRD but nothing over the last few years and am looking to get into more current stuff. That goes for any Mignola related stuff.

    Thanks!
    Good question, but kind of tough to answer. Tough since I've been keeping track of (mainly) this stuff for so long I only need a few titles in order to complete it all.

    But these would be my pointers:
    The various "cycles" - as how at least the main collected titles have been appearing - you can view over in the thread below this one (about "reader order"). Best start at page 1 of the thread I'd guess.

    There's also a Hellboy wiki.

    Plus on the Dark Horse website every book DH ever published is listed with a great search function, mostly with 3 to 5 page previews you might opt to check out.

    Otherwise just expand on what you already have or if so inclined just grab any title which suits you.

    Best of luck...
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Louriť / Dr. Pepper

  13. #88
    Amazing Member DamianBane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Metropolis
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
    Possibly Conquerer Worm (Hellboy trade 5/Library Ed 3), it's the other story of Hellboy and Roger going on a mission together, though you may want to read Almost Colossus first as it gives Roger's full background (Hellboy trade 3/Library Ed 2)
    Gonna have to check this out

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •