Page 4382 of 4382 FirstFirst ... 3382388242824332437243784379438043814382
Results 65,716 to 65,727 of 65727

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Jungle Action #15 - Thorns in the Flesh Thorns in the Mind

This is a somber, reflective issue aside from the part where T'Challa battles a Pterodactyl, his enemy, Salamander K'Ruel shoots at him with an exploding arrow, and missings the Black Panther, blowing up the dinosaur! There's also some brutal torturing of T'Challa as he's beaten and tied to a cactus.

There are also some nice human moments exploring the fact that people are willing to rebel against T'Challa's rule, doubt about Wakanda's modernization, and W'Kabi's marital strife with his wife.

Uniform tear count: I didn't comment on this last issue. Honestly, his costume is shredded. There's no objective way to measure whether it's actually getting worse or not because the art is inconsistent here.
    His outfit got shredded a lot back in those days. Clearly it was not made from vibranium early on. Ah, well... :/

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Strange because in most of the dc vs marvel battles Iíve seen, the Marvel characters tended to come out on top.

Hawkeye won against Green Arrow
    Spidey won against Batman
    Rogue won against Wonder Woman
    And Venom won against Bane.
    In general, they just have a certain bias towards individual Characters they like as opposed to a certain brand

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    His outfit got shredded a lot back in those days. Clearly it was not made from vibranium early on. Ah, well... :/
    Yeah, the vibranium suit thing didn't come about until Priest.

But that aside, I still think they intentionally had his costume shredded up a lot back then to show people he was black. In a full body suit it's hard to tell sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    In general, they just have a certain bias towards individual Characters they like as opposed to a certain brand
    I wouldn't call it a bias so much as mistakes. Again, Batman lost to Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Strange because in most of the dc vs marvel battles Iíve seen, the Marvel characters tended to come out on top.

Hawkeye won against Green Arrow
    Spidey won against Batman
    Rogue won against Wonder Woman
    And Venom won against Bane.
    Don't forget Deadpool beating Deathstroke.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, the vibranium suit thing didn't come about until Priest.

But that aside, I still think they intentionally had his costume shredded up a lot back then to show people he was black. In a full body suit it's hard to tell sometimes.
    I think Priest was like "Hey they use vibranium for everything why not for clothing/armor?" makes sense and even the Priest costume got shredded at points. I think it was stated that the suit can be cut along the seams. I also think the suit being damaged was an intentional decision but more because a costume taking damage and being torn adds a heightened sense of drama and tension. Like this hero is really being put through the ringer sorta deal.

I think the Coates suit can't be torn at all since it's mostly nanomachines but as we've seen in recent issues it can be overcharged and shorted out.

in the comics has Tchalla ever granted a major news media an interview? Like a sit-down with Fox or NBC? I could make for an interesting read with the right writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I wouldn't call it a bias so much as mistakes. Again, Batman lost to Spider-Man.
    Im not even talking about Marvel vs DC, but just Characters in general, take their Link vs cloud battle, they used every item from nearly every legend of Zelda game for Link and gave cloud only his buster sword. Toph vs Gaara they combine both you guys and old version of toph but didn't do the same and took out the tailed beast for gaara. Cap Marvel vs 18, they said energy attacks Carol used wouldn't work on 18 because he brother in dbz had used a barrier and "since it's shown 17 has the ability, then there is no reason to think 18 can't do it too" despite the fact that isn't how you assign skill sets.
    That's what I mean. They do it alot

Astonishing Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Last one:

Jungle Action #18 - Epilogue!

I make it a rule to use the title as posted on the opening splash page, not the cover. The cover is done separately, sometimes by a different artist, and the writer doesn't have much to do with it. The opening splash essentially functions as a title page and has the title the writer intended. That being said, the title on the cover is "Epilogue of Death!" which I find to be one of the most gloriously dumb titles in the history of comics and I love it.

This is the epilogue. After the action, death, and destruction of last issue, this issue is picking up the pieces. It starts with a series of quiet moments, T'Challa and Monica together with Monica playing the piano, Venomm and Taku with Venomm being sent away from Wakanda, there's W'Kabi with his wife who is leaving him (I like that, despite the moments last issue when their lives were in danger, a single action doesn't undo what happened before). W'Kabi's arm was crushed by falling debris last issue and now he has a mechanical arm, making him a part of the modern Wakanda that he resented.

The story transitions when two Wakandans hunting a leopard are ambushed and killed. T'Challa and W'Kabi go to investigate and encounter a giant man named mute and Madam Slay. Madam Slay apparently really likes leopards because she has a bunch of them with her, but she also is wearing a leopard pelt. I was about to make a sarcastic comment about that, but the story addresses it - they were killed by Wakandans and she's just wearing them. She apparently was Killmonger's lover and decides to kill T'Challa with Killmonger's leopard, Preyy - specifically by tying his arms to two leopards and having them run, dragging him on the ground behind them until he is hurdled towards a jagged rock. Needless to say, he escapes and defeats Madam Slay and she apparently dies, adding to the tragedy of the whole thing.

Overall, the first half of the issue seemed to provide some needed closure. The back half feels a little tacked on. I think McGregor wanted to add some action that would otherwise be missing. I don't like that Slay seemed to come out of nowhere, but I do like that Erik Killmonger's leopard was involved in the action. Even if he had no real understanding of what's going on, there's still a sense that the cycle of violence continues.

Uniform Tear Count: The costume is completely torn up this time when he was dragged on the ground, leaving just enough to preserve his "secret identity" and his modesty (seriously, just the face mask and the area around his crotch were intact, which makes him look a lot like Batman shirtless against R'as al-Ghul).

Final thoughts: This was a lot of fun. I still enjoy the story quite a bit. Reading it a second time, there are some moments that feel a product of the fact that this is a Jungle Action title. He didn't need to fight so many wild animals. There also seemed to be a bit of a disconnect with just how much fantasy and supernatural McGregor wanted in the story. I like the diversity of antagonists. We went from the Black Panther having essentially two villains before this story started to maybe a half-dozen unique characters to choose from. Likewise, I love the character development of the supporting cast: W'Kabi and Taku are three-dimensional characters and some of the others still feel like important contributors. I loved how dark this story got at times. It wasn't making light of a dark situation, which made Killmonger all the more threatening. After this story, I said I was going to read Panther's Quest. I still intend to read it, but I don't think I'm going to post a review after each issue. It's a Marvel Comics Presents story in 25 parts of about 8 pages each. I think another 25 days of my reviews are a little too self-indulgent. I do think I'll comment on the end about everything, how it feels to read it once a day rather than all at once, and some of the elements and themes of the story.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    in the comics has Tchalla ever granted a major news media an interview? Like a sit-down with Fox or NBC? I could make for an interesting read with the right writer.

I think during Hudlin’s run Shuri had been interviewed by a CNN stand in

I dig the write ups Mike
    We need better comics

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    I dig the write ups Mike
    I would like to second that Mike.