Page 3583 of 3605 FirstFirst ... 258330833483353335733579358035813582358335843585358635873593 ... LastLast
Results 53,731 to 53,745 of 54061

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I agree ... writers shouldn't handle credible characters that way. Which is exactly why Stane shouldn't be written as "trash" that T'Challa easily disgards. Stane has proven himself to be a credible threat to Stark and T'Challa... two of the smartest and resourceful heroes on the planet. He's written as a credible threat, therefore he IS one. He's only as good as the writers make him... and to their credit they're making him credible. Not Doom level credible, but he's proven himself to be a viable challenge to every hero he's faced so far. We're not getting one panel knocks outs like we are with T'Challa's rogues.

Conversely Klaw and Man Ape are written as trash, therefore they are. I don't like saying that because I'm a fan of Man Ape, but it's hard to argue what we're actually getting on panel. Again, a character is only as good as the writers make him and right now they're not being made to look all that good. And that sucks.

Villains almost across the board need to be treated better, so that writers and readers like you don't chalk them off as trash. We're getting that better treatment with Stane, and we need to get that treatment for Klaw and Man Ape too. Because one of the guages of a hero is the rogues they face. Essentially what Coates is doing with Stane is what SOMEONE needs to do with Man Ape and Klaw. And it likely needs to be a BP writer because frankly I'm not sure anyone else will bother (though you never know). But sadly Coates doesn't seem to be a fan of Man Ape. Maybe Klaw is a possiblity. Have Klaw give T'CHalla a good run for his money and hopefully people will forget about his one panel defeats to Goldballs and Spider-Woman.
    See the Problem Is Stane isn't being written as formidable. He got his ass beat by T'Challa with both his hands tied. The problem still is that T'Challa isnt getting written up to par. Stane isn't a credible villain still. T'challa is being poorly showcased to make Stane look better

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    See the Problem Is Stane isn't being written as formidable. He got his ass beat by T'Challa with both his hands tied. The problem still is that T'Challa isnt getting written up to par. Stane isn't a credible villain still. T'challa is being poorly showcased to make Stane look better
    Everybody was googlin who stane was bc he isn't credible or relevant.

Goon Slam Gary is more credible, he just wasn't born into generational wealth or had the socioeconomic support to become a z-list villain like Stane.

Gary doesn't even have an alphabet to his name, and he's still more credible.

I don't think Stane really got gis ass beat. They barely got a finger on him. Stane's group did just fine. T'challa and his group drove them off, but they held their own well enough in battle against the Crew. They didn't kick the Crews butts, but they gave as much as they got and went away empty handed by otherwise unharmed.

Given villains really can't actually win in the end that's usually about as good as it gets unless you're Doom it Thanos.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post

looks good.. will pick this up

Astonishing Member

I agree ... writers shouldn't handle credible characters that way. Which is exactly why Stane shouldn't be written as "trash" that T'Challa easily disgards. Stane has proven himself to be a credible threat to Stark and T'Challa... two of the smartest and resourceful heroes on the planet. He's written as a credible threat, therefore he IS one. He's only as good as the writers make him... and to their credit they're making him credible. Not Doom level credible, but he's proven himself to be a viable challenge to every hero he's faced so far. We're not getting one panel knocks outs like we are with T'Challa's rogues.

Conversely Klaw and Man Ape are written as trash, therefore they are. I don't like saying that because I'm a fan of Man Ape, but it's hard to argue what we're actually getting on panel. Again, a character is only as good as the writers make him and right now they're not being made to look all that good. And that sucks.

Villains almost across the board need to be treated better, so that writers and readers like you don't chalk them off as trash. We're getting that better treatment with Stane, and we need to get that treatment for Klaw and Man Ape too. Because one of the guages of a hero is the rogues they face. Essentially what Coates is doing with Stane is what SOMEONE needs to do with Man Ape and Klaw. And it likely needs to be a BP writer because frankly I'm not sure anyone else will bother (though you never know). But sadly Coates doesn't seem to be a fan of Man Ape. Maybe Klaw is a possiblity. Have Klaw give T'CHalla a good run for his money and hopefully people will forget about his one panel defeats to Goldballs and Spider-Woman.
    The problem with Klaw is that he is a poor man's Living Laser with a glaring weakness that gets exploited by everybody.

The problem with Man Ape is obvious. Just look at him. Both those guys are the kind of villains that the Wizard would use to fill the
    fourth jobber slot on his Frightful Four team.

The difference between them and Stane is that at least Stane can give Iron Man a fight. Klaw and Man Ape put together can't do that.
    Worse then that, if those guys at their accepted power level attacked Iron Man as a team, he'd still barely notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    The problem with Klaw is that he is a poor man's Living Laser with a glaring weakness that gets exploited by everybody.

The problem with Man Ape is obvious. Just look at him. Both those guys are the kind of villains that the Wizard would use to fill the
    fourth jobber slot on his Frightful Four team.

The difference between them and Stane is that at least Stane can give Iron Man a fight. Klaw and Man Ape put together can't do that.
    Worse then that, if those guys at their accepted power level attacked Iron Man as a team, he'd still barely notice.
    Klaw under the right circumstances can give most heroes a good fight (Iron Man might not be one of them though). He's actually powerful, but like you said he's got a glaring weakness with certain heroes can take advantage off.

Man Ape likely can't give Iron Man a fight... he's a low tier brick. Works well enough against street level guys though, as he's a descent level of skill in addition to being legit meta human.

I'm not sure I'd use either against Iron Man, but there are heroes out there who Klaw and Man Ape can be usable against. In the least Man Ape works against T'Challa well enough.

I don't think Stane really got gis ass beat. They barely got a finger on him. Stane's group did just fine. T'challa and his group drove them off, but they held their own well enough in battle against the Crew. They didn't kick the Crews butts, but they gave as much as they got and went away empty handed by otherwise unharmed.

Given villains really can't actually win in the end that's usually about as good as it gets unless you're Doom it Thanos.
    Stane got his ass beat. Plain and simple. The crew itself also was made weaker to make Stane and co look better. Remember Vanisher got beat by Kasper solo, Yet Crew members struggled? Like i said, Coates made everybody look weak to made stane and co look more formidible then they actually were. Hence why so many people were disappointed when the fight went down. It was so poorly done and Coates is so tied up in his own ego that he made everybody look like Shit. Cage and T'challa could of soloed Stane and co. Hell T'Challa could solo them.

Shit fight written by a shitty comic writer

Stane got his ass beat. Plain and simple. The crew itself also was made weaker to make Stane and co look better. Remember Vanisher got beat by Kasper solo, Yet Crew members struggled? Like i said, Coates made everybody look weak to made stane and co look more formidible then they actually were. Hence why so many people were disappointed when the fight went down. It was so poorly done and Coates is so tied up in his own ego that he made everybody look like Shit. Cage and T'challa could of soloed Stane and co. Hell T'Challa could solo them.

Shit fight written by a shitty comic writer
    Again, my recollection is T'Challa barely layed a finger on Stane. But I could be mis-remembering it. Did T'Challa actually beat him up in the fight?

Again, my recollection is T'Challa barely layed a finger on Stane. But I could be mis-remembering it. Did T'Challa actually beat him up in the fight?
    Tripped him, Force knocked him into the air and kicked him in the face a few times before Stane fled with a bloody face

Astonishing Member

Eh I can really only think of one Pyrrhic victory in Priest run and that was against Kilmonger. The others they were clear cut victories. Maybe the Return of the Dragon Arc was kinda a Pyrrhic victory because he got the Brain aneurysm fighting Danny but he wasn't trying to kill him or anything and it was pretty clear who held the advantage in that fight if it were to the death.

But every solo may have one of those. Where the Hero doesn't really win or he wins but its not considered a Victory. But coates is taking it to an extreme by having the hero flop around till the very end and win with an ass pull or a very anti climatic showdown
    I was thinking of the first Priest arc where BP wrecked Mesphisto, but Achebe controlled Wakanda. Or, when BP regained Wakanda, but lost Nakia.

BP would overcome a lot, but he could not realistically overcome everything (save something for the next arc).

Perhaps Pyrrhic victories is too strong a phrase, but I saw no evidence where BP became a Marty Stu during the Priest run. I loved the gripping storytelling of that period.

Priest used a lot of give & take with BP.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    Yea, ppl just straight up lying acting like Priest's enemies didn't offer T'Challa complex, not-so-easily solved problems.

Mephisto, White Wolf, Nakia, Killmonger, etc.

And even a phyrric victory like the one against Iron Fist was done in such a way that BP wasn't dumbed down to the level of his opponent. It actually made him look even more bad ass
    On the same page, that we are. Even M'Baku went up the charts by revealing QDJ's true tribal origin, and murdering my beloved "Happy Pants", Panther.

Happy Pants was flat out awesome.

Nothing came easy for BP during the Priest run.

Priest pumped up all of BP's rogues. Priest showed the full potential of Klaw, in addition to BP finally letting loose his rage on his father's murderer (not that bizarre screaming he did at Namor during the Hickman run).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    To add to that, I dunno what the opposite of a phyrric victory is, but when Killmonger beat him to become BP.. it was made clear that BP had Erik beat, with the only question being would BP have to kill him since Erik defiantly refused to yield like a good sport, before Everett Ross distracted BP and cost him the fight.

So even tho he 'lost', you're not really mad at it because it wasn't like he was made to look inferior
    BP might have lost that physical fight, but he prevented Killmonger from taking control of Wakanda. BP beat Killmonger politically & economically which raised the ire of Tony Stark (IIRC). His only defeat was giving up the title of BP.

If I was Killmonger, I'd be hella pisssed!

I highly doubt that so few people knew who Stane was given his appearance in the first MCU movie and played by a very well known actor.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I highly doubt that so few people knew who Stane was given his appearance in the first MCU movie and played by a very well known actor.
    That was Obadiah Stane in the Iron Man movie, not Exekial.
    Fan Fiction at its' best! Join Us At Age Of Marvels!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    That was Obadiah Stane in the Iron Man movie, not Exekial.
    Ouchies.
    Enjoying the camraderie of friends and family is all that matters in the world.

Mr MajestiK took a short hiatus and the Chaos Bringer was reborn.