Page 45 of 49 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546474849 LastLast

Radioactive Spider-Gwen #1-6: Decent volume exploring parts of the aftermath of Gwen's greatest tragedy. Just not as exciting as the earlier issues.
    B
    Silk Volume 2 #1-6: Silk is spread too thin as she goes undercover in Black Cat's organization. There are a lot of balls in the air, although it's generally handled pretty well.
    B

Amazing Spider-Man: Family Business Beautiful art by Gabriele Dell'otto in an OGN that uses the format well. Waid and Robinson come up with an epic challenge for Peter, and have a good sense of the small moments.
    B+

Amazing Spider-Man #9: With Lee/ Ditko, you get genius storytelling and enough concepts in one issue to fuel a run of comics. Spider-Man spends most of the night looking for crime, but finding nothing but an amateur astronomer with a weird telescope. Here, Aunt May has a medical emergency, we get hints of Betty Brant's troubles, an ending that subverts the norm for Spider-Man (Peter thinks his romantic life sucks, and Betty seeks him out), the debut of an A-list villain, Peter faking incriminating evidence against himself in order to pay for May's medical expenses, and Electro freeing prisoners in order to get loyal stooges (and some of the prisoners decide they'll be better off without the colorfully colored nutcase.)
    A+

Amazing Spider-Man #10: Another solid Lee/ Ditko issue. The Big Man and the Enforcers aren't A-listers, but they've stuck around for decades. Peter allows himself to be captured by the bad guys in order to get closer to them. Jonah becomes a suspect when there's a mystery supervillain. A seemingly one-dimensional character has a painful realization about his reasons for hating Spider-Man.
    A+
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

I re-read Todd McFarlane's Torment and I actually thought it was pretty good. The artwork is fantastic and the writing style is very unique for a Spider-Man comic. It also contains one of the most memorable uses of The Lizard.

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Guy View Post
    I re-read Todd McFarlane's Torment and I actually thought it was pretty good. The artwork is fantastic and the writing style is very unique for a Spider-Man comic. It also contains one of the most memorable uses of The Lizard.
    Mr Mets will be pleased to hear this.
    I miss Kevin Nichols. Not as much as bacon, but still...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Mr Mets will be pleased to hear this.
    I remember Torment appearing on a list of his favorite 1990s stories. How do you personally feel about it?
    Last edited by Masked Guy; 07-18-2017 at 11:30 AM.

I remember Torment appearing on a list of his favorites 1990s stories. How do you personally feel about it?
    I never cared for it all that much. The art was of course outstanding; it was dark and certainly different than a lot of Spiderman stories we had up until that point and made interesting use of a somewhat forgotten character in Calypso. But, those were the only positives for me. I thought it was at least two issues too long and Todd McFarlane was simply not a very good writer at this point. I think he developed somewhat later on but I think the story is still fairly cringe worthy to read.
    I miss Kevin Nichols. Not as much as bacon, but still...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I never cared for it all that much. The art was of course outstanding; it was dark and certainly different than a lot of Spiderman stories we had up until that point and made interesting use of a somewhat forgotten character in Calypso. But, those were the only positives for me. I thought it was at least two issues too long and Todd McFarlane was simply not a very good writer at this point. I think he developed somewhat later on but I think the story is still fairly cringe worthy to read.
    That seems to be a fairly common opinion among a contingent of readers.

Amazing Spider-Man Volume 4 #1-3: Art is amazing. Story is middle of the pack.
    It really dives into a new world for Spider-Man. Peter shows more versatility in the tech he uses, really quickly Slott establishes Peter is trying to spread his wealth around instead of hogging it. But the 3 issues keeping going back on the idea that Peter is still Peter, yet no one from his own personal life shows up until issue 3. In the first two issues it's past and present coworkers and S.H.I.E.L.D that dominate the pages, making the comic feel more Avenger than Friendly Neighbourhood.
    "What about wheatcakes next time?"-Peter
    "Wheatcakes are yucky."-Annie

I just read the Spider-Women crossover (Spider-Women Alpha, Spider-Woman #5-6, Silk #7-8, Radioactive Spider-Gwen #7-8, Spider-Woman Omega.) There are some fun parts (Earth-65 versions of Silk & Jessica) but it's one of the weakest stories of any of these series. It goes on too long, has some wasted potential (Spider-Gwen's world's version of one of Marvel's biggest villains) and doesn't justify the length.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

I re-read No One Dies (Amazing vol. 1 #655-656) and I have to say that it is easily one of Dan Slott's best Spidey stories. It's a shame his current work has fallen so far.

Radioactive Spider-Gwen #9-15, Annual 1: Solid modern superhero stories building on an interesting complication for Gwen (as a result of events in Spider-Women she's limited in how often she can use her powers.

Marvel Team-Up #72: Crammed standalone which sets up a Maggia arc in Spectacular. Not bad, but there's too much going on.
    C

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #22-23: Okay but forgettable team-up between Spider-Man and Moon Knight.
    B-

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #25-28: This Spider-Man/ Daredevil team-up is a bit padded, though it has an interesting challenge as Spider-Man is blinded as the result of a showdown with the Masked Marauder. Carrion is also introduced in the background, and he makes for a creepy new foe.
    B

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #29-31: This is a solid challenge for Spider-Man as a new villain knows all his secrets, and threatens his loved ones. Some of the elements are imperfect (the twist with Carrion's identity doesn't carry the weight the story suggests, Darter is one of the most generic Spider-Man villains ever) but it is a highlight of Mantlo's work on the series.
    B+
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Fantastic Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

After a 20-year absence from Marvel, Spider-Man was somewhat unrecognizable to me for a while. I liked Ultimate Spider-Man quite a bit at the beginning, and currently reading Renew Your Vows. The art is REALLY good on that one and the stories are fun. Funny the two titles I like most since coming back are alternate-reality versions of Spidey.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    After a 20-year absence from Marvel, Spider-Man was somewhat unrecognizable to me for a while. I liked Ultimate Spider-Man quite a bit at the beginning, and currently reading Renew Your Vows. The art is REALLY good on that one and the stories are fun. Funny the two titles I like most since coming back are alternate-reality versions of Spidey.
    Trust me, you aren't missing much in the current 616 titles.

Going through the Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane books.

Got a kick out of Gwen's description of Spider-Man fighting Sandman:

Fantastic Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Trust me, you aren't missing much in the current 616 titles.
    That's what I thought...what a mess.

I found a hardback edition of "The Death of The Staceys" that collected issues 88-92 & 121-122. Though the dialogue could be a little cheesy it was still really good and the artwork was fantastic!

I also have had Spider-Island for years and just now finally finished it. I thought it was very interesting and enjoyed it as well.