Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Errr, Alias certainly is canon. Everything about it has carried over to Jessica's character and the other series she appeared in, because well, pretty much everything about Jessica was set in this book.
    When they decided the series was to be in continuity those stories had already been written, in a MAX universe outside of continuity. What do you expect, the stories to retroactively and magically rewrote themselves? This is a fictional series, not an history book where if event are not depicted the right way then they are wrong. If for some reason tomorrow the Punisher MAX character will be established to be in continuity, would that mean that Ennis wrote a series full of continuity errors? Obviously not, comic writers are not able to foresee the future, neither to travel back to the past and rewrote their tales…

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post

Did the guy who wrote this series. NEVER even read a any comic before he wrote this garbage?!? That why I don't like this series! What do you think of this series and this section I have highlighted here!

If you feel to be so informed that you are so outraged by these panels why don't you know this was a MAX series outside main continuity? And why you seem to think today characterization of Cap was the same 15 years ago? It wasn't. Do your homework next time instead to try to be the teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    If you don't like it, don't buy it. The end.
    That's a bit of a stupid comment when you've already bought it.
    Planetxmen Instagram - Updated everyday with a different X-Men theme

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by planetxmen View Post
    That's a bit of a stupid comment when you've already bought it.
    It's serialized fiction, he probably meant stop buying it. Considered how uninformed was the outrage of the topic opener, criticizing a writer for not respecting continuity in an out of continuity book in regard to a contemporary characterization of a character that wasn't true when the book was published, I can't disagree with him.

Perhaps a better way to approach the original post, isn't to dismiss it out of hand but to understand that concern. There are people in this thread convinced this is an in continuity tale and there are some insisting it was never intended to be. Neither of these are quite true. Nothing about the MAX imprint specifies the continuity status of the stories. There were some written as stand alone fiction without any reference to the MU, there were some written in other fictional settings, like the Poe and Lovecraft books. There were some that revisited properties from the past with entirely new slants, like The Rawhide Kid. There was quite a selection. Was the Thor story in continuity? Who cares! Were the Foolkiller stories set in the MU? What about Blade?

It is perfectly understandable that somebody would misinterpret the continuity status of such stories. Something like Alias was not written entirely detached from continuity. It isn't a 'What If?' The way it is written suggests an MU that is not quite the same. The tone is not directly compatible. But that doesn't mean it can't be considered part of canon. Indeed the decision to incorporate it into canon is not as simple as saying everything that happened is canonical.

But we need to be more honest with ourselves as fans. What is canon is not cut and dried. The writers are never going to write their stories with everything in mind. Worrying about continuity in this way is a sure fire way of dissatisfaction. But that is the readers choice. The insistence on canon is being brought to the table by the reader, nobody else.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-22-2017 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by penthotal View Post
    When they decided the series was to be in continuity those stories had already been written, in a MAX universe outside of continuity. What do you expect, the stories to retroactively and magically rewrote themselves? This is a fictional series, not an history book where if event are not depicted the right way then they are wrong. If for some reason tomorrow the Punisher MAX character will be established to be in continuity, would that mean that Ennis wrote a series full of continuity errors? Obviously not, comic writers are not able to foresee the future, neither to travel back to the past and rewrote their tales…
    I'm not criticizing the writers, or even giving an opinion at all actually. I just meant that saying that Alias isn't in continuity doesn't make sense considering that Jessica became a part of the overall MU later based on this series.

#MakeMineMilkshake CaptCleghorn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I'm not criticizing the writers, or even giving an opinion at all actually. I just meant that saying that Alias isn't in continuity doesn't make sense considering that Jessica became a part of the overall MU later based on this series.
    But when the series was published, it wasn't meant to be canon. It was in that weird USG. Nextwave area where the book hovers near canon, but we read them and appreciate the stories.

There's nothing wrong with wanting every Marvel story to fit perfectly into a ginormous universe. It's not how I feel, but there's probably more of that out there than we think. Any 28 issue series is going to have something that doesn't fit. These are comic book stories, not jigsaw puzzle pieces.

Am I the only one that remembers interviews before the launch of the MAX line way back when, that stated that while most of them were not canon, Alias specifically was going to be proper 616 continuity?
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Am I the only one that remembers interviews before the launch of the MAX line way back when, that stated that while most of them were not canon, Alias specifically was going to be proper 616 continuity?
    I only dimly remember some unclear expectations and a few contradictory reports, because I wasn't reading marvel back then, so I wasn't reading the interviews. Any links would be interesting.

BUT such interviews and marketing rarely tell the whole tale. If the genre expectations are different, the tone is different and the style is different then it is entirely understandable that it will get confusing. There is a reason MAX has been abandoned as an imprint. Lots of people never really got it.

Just look at the difference between Alias and The Pulse, and how other properties are used in that book. Quite a stark contrast.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-22-2017 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I only dimly remember some unclear expectations and a few contradictory reports, because I wasn't reading marvel back then, so I wasn't reading the interviews. Any links would be interesting.
    Links to 16 year old interviews?

I wish. Memories is all that's left.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

I've already assumed since Alias was a MAX title that it wasn't canon. Though it's been implied that the events, or at least something similar to the events, have happened int he 616.

As for the OP, it's nothing new for Bendis having characters do or say something out of character or conflicting with continuity, even back then. If you're going to read a Bendis title, make your peace with that before reading.
    Currently Reading: DC: Mr. Miracle /// MARVEL: Iron Fist, Astonishing X-Men, Defenders, Spirits of Vengeance /// IMAGE: Renato Jones Season 2: Freelancer, Seven to Eternity, God Complex

Upcoming Reading: MARVEL: Gambit & Rogue, Moon Knight, Tales of Suspense, Old Man Hawkeye /// IMAGE: Frontier

Trade Waiting: MARVEL: Black Panther /// IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher /// DYNAMITE: John Wick

Incredible Member

Who the woman Captain hooking up here with suppose to be?

http://www.imagebam.com/image/40b5f2611943903

http://www.imagebam.com/image/525878611944043

you should see his version of Mephisto.
    Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    Because its fun, not as fun as the liberal meltdown but close
    11/10/2016

:::double post:::
    Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    Because its fun, not as fun as the liberal meltdown but close
    11/10/2016

this was mainly bendis fan-fiction just to have this imprint, MAX, have some attention or something.