Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 283
  1. #241
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,445

    Default

    *Nods in agreement*

  2. #242
    Invincible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    10,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Dat cover tho.

    I respect Jess' decision to skip the middle man in getting pregnant but I would have liked her to have a child with someone she cared for and who cared for her. Not just because I believe children with both parents present are healthier but because families in the real world don't always hold together, sadly, and it would be nice to see more positive examples in comics. I guess people prefer the negativity of disfunctional families in comics though.
    Drew started her family in an untraditional way, but I'd say they're still a pretty conventional unit.

    Although I'm not following it on the regular, we're sorta getting that traditional stable family unit in the current Superman with Supes, Lois and their son.

    I thought it was a good thing to have Luke, Jessica, and their baby as a family. Although it seems like that aspect is being moved to the sidelines in the comics as Luke and Jess aren't a couple on TV.

    I haven't paid attention to Animal Man since the start of the nu52. I'm not sure what's going on with his family.

  3. #243
    Invincible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    10,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Have I complained yet about my disdain for the whole “Bond Girl” effect that a lot of superhero seem to engage in? It seems that one very American element of hero comics is that there always has to be some element of romance or at least sexual tension. And these days it seems like characters can't stay in a relationship for more than three issues before circumstances change and they're breaking up again to date someone else.

    This is especially egregious in teams of young heroes, particularly the X-Men. I dunno if it’s just for cheap thrills, to constantly tease various shipping possibilities, or if it’s supposed to be some ham-fisted attempt to replicate the “modern speed dating scene,” or if they want the characters to be in a perpetual adolescence when it comes to relationships. Sure, a lot of the time the characters never actually sleep with one another, but there’s dramatic kisses and goo-goo eyes aplenty.

    But even outside of teams, with solo heroes, you end up with the “Bond Girl” effect. The solo hero, usually a male, will always have a female character in a main supporting cast, and whoever it is, that’s the one there’s going to be sexual tension with. Especially if there’s a string of female hero guest stars, there’s that sense of “yeah, if this were a Bond movie, we’d be boinking during the end credits.” Flirting, significant glances, lingering moments of contact. And that’s fine and all, but it ends up not meaning much of anything, because by the time the next adventure rolls around, there’s a different woman to play footsie with. A love the one you’re with situation, I suppose, but is it really part of the character, or is it just there to spice up the comic, and the previous love interest wasn’t available, so fuck it?

    I kind of miss the days when you had couples that would be a thing for several years of publishing time, and it wasn’t super dramatic, it was just a nice part of the character interaction. Like, Storm and Forge were a couple for a while. If they were in a comic together, they’d be appropriately affectionate. If they were separated in different comics, they didn’t just start macking on the nearest available member of the opposite sex just to keep things titillating. Nowadays you only seem to get that with the tiny minority of characters for whom being in a specific couple is a core part of their mythos. Superman and Lois, Reed and Sue, etc.

    I dunno, man, I’m probably blowing it way out of proportion, and I’m sure there’s three dozen counter-examples, it just seems the comics I happen across always have some kind of hook-up, break-up soap opera relationships going on, and it’d be nice to see more stable couples that can develop over time.
    I'd say that there's definitely more random hook ups in superhero comics than say a generation ago. The concept of adults having casual sex doesn't bother me, but I am bothered by the hack way that it's portrayed sometimes. Sometimes I'm like "Ok they aren't in love, they aren't on a date, they didn't hook up on Tinder...why would these particular characters be having sex other than the writer had pages to fill and there's no Comics Code to worry about?"

  4. #244
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,445

    Default

    That reminds me - In Astonishing Ant-Man, Beetle was only... um... exchanging bodily fluids with Scott Lang because she thought it would somehow lead to her "acquiring" powers (probably in Pym particles). I'm both laughing and shaking my head. It's such a stupid reason to hook up with someone in universe-wise but it's also funny, and yet it's really a shamefully contrived reason for the characters to have sex.

  5. #245
    Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    That reminds me - In Astonishing Ant-Man, Beetle was only... um... exchanging bodily fluids with Scott Lang because she thought it would somehow lead to her "acquiring" powers (probably in Pym particles). I'm both laughing and shaking my head. It's such a stupid reason to hook up with someone in universe-wise but it's also funny, and yet it's really a shamefully contrived reason for the characters to have sex.
    It would be an interesting way of getting super powers. I mean, Spider-Man got powers from just being bit by a radioactive spider. It might not be entirely unreasonable that Mary Jane could gain super strength from making love to Peter so much.

  6. #246
    Invincible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    10,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    It would be an interesting way of getting super powers. I mean, Spider-Man got powers from just being bit by a radioactive spider. It might not be entirely unreasonable that Mary Jane could gain super strength from making love to Peter so much.
    I didn't read The "Spider Island" event from a few years back but I heard that was actually part of the plot? People in NY were getting infected by some sort of virus and gaining Spider powers then turning into into spiders. MJ was immune (like Peter) because she and Peter had had sex so many times. *SMH*

  7. #247
    Surfing With The Alien Spike-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,043

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    I respect Jess' decision to skip the middle man in getting pregnant but I would have liked her to have a child with someone she cared for and who cared for her. Not just because I believe children with both parents present are healthier...
    Except when they're not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    ...but because families in the real world don't always hold together, sadly, and it would be nice to see more positive examples in comics. I guess people prefer the negativity of disfunctional families in comics though.
    Is there any evidence so far that Jessica Drew and her child are a dysfunctional family? Not every family without a mommy and a daddy are dysfunctional. Not every family with one are inherently superior.

  8. #248
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post

    Is there any evidence so far that Jessica Drew and her child are a dysfunctional family? Not every family without a mommy and a daddy are dysfunctional. Not every family with one are inherently superior.
    No because once the baby was bornt Hopeless dropped the subject for a crossover with the other female spider woman.

  9. #249
    Surfing With The Alien Spike-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,043

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post
    No because once the baby was bornt Hopeless dropped the subject for a crossover with the other female spider woman.
    Yeah, that was jarring. I still haven't caught up past that point.

  10. #250
    Invincible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    10,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post
    No because once the baby was bornt Hopeless dropped the subject for a crossover with the other female spider woman.
    But he picked it back up. When the series ended, the baby has powers and although Roger's ex-wife is a little bitter...Roger and Jessica Drew are a couple and they are living together with the baby as a family.

  11. #251
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Except when they're not.



    Is there any evidence so far that Jessica Drew and her child are a dysfunctional family? Not every family without a mommy and a daddy are dysfunctional. Not every family with one are inherently superior.
    You misunderstand my post. It's probably my fault because I didn't clearly express my thoughts.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Dat cover tho.

    I respect Jess' decision to skip the middle man in getting pregnant but I would have liked her to have a child with someone she cared for and who cared for her. Not just because I believe children with both parents present are healthier...
    My first point was that I believe families with both parents present are more healthy. Of course there are situations when one parent is either abusive or otherwise unfit and the family is better off splitting up but that's an example of a dysfunctional family. It's not the optimal situation.


    ...but because families in the real world don't always hold together, sadly, and it would be nice to see more positive examples in comics. I guess people prefer the negativity of disfunctional families in comics though.
    Like I said here, situations where families are dysfunctional or broken are becoming too common in this day and age. Jess being a single parent doesn't make her family dysfunctional or broken, it's just not the example of a full and functioning family that I want to see represented in comics more. But I'm afraid people are more interested in seeing characters in families that are falling apart, or have fallen apart.

    Miles Morales and Kamala Khan are good examples of characters with positive examples of full families holding together, but many characters have dead or non-existent parents. And some can't keep their relationships long enough to have children. I understand the appeal. I tend to write this way because I was raised by my grandparents and I've always had a way of making my character's personality flaws come mainly as a result of them having problems surrounding their parents. I'm trying to break away from this because I'm noticing that it's pretty common, to the point of becoming a trope. I'm working on it. It's difficult. It's almost like my default setting for characters.

  12. #252
    Surfing With The Alien Spike-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,043

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    My first point was that I believe families with both parents present are more healthy.
    And my point was, that's not necessarily true.

  13. #253
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    But he picked it back up. When the series ended, the baby has powers and although Roger's ex-wife is a little bitter...Roger and Jessica Drew are a couple and they are living together with the baby as a family.
    Hmm interesting, i dropped the book after the crossover, well thanks for correct me.

  14. #254
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    And my point was, that's not necessarily true.
    Okay. Why wouldn't a family with both parents be better than a family with only one parent?

  15. #255
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    But he picked it back up. When the series ended, the baby has powers and although Roger's ex-wife is a little bitter...Roger and Jessica Drew are a couple and they are living together with the baby as a family.
    I dropped right around Secret Wars so I know I've missed a lot. I'd like to see more of that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •