Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 539
  1. #1
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    763

    Default Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League era appreciation

    DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

    1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

    2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    This is the thread to discuss all things Giffen/Dematteis Justice league international/america/europe.





    Last edited by marshal99; 05-08-2014 at 01:15 AM.

  2. #2
    Ultimate Member Lee Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    8,069

    Default

    Mustn't forget:
    JLI1.jpgJLIF.jpg

    And:
    JLI_16.jpg
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 05-08-2014 at 09:04 AM.

  3. #3
    DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,256

    Default

    My favorite run of the Justice League. I never understood the hate it got. It was like reading an anime from the eighties or early nineties at times. Maguire's art is gorgeous and Guy was awesome. Should have done more with Dr. Light though and the team could have been more diverse.

  4. #4
    Ultimate Member Lee Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    8,069

    Default

    I agree about Dr. Light.
    She could've at least appeared in costume.

    But in hindsight, she was probably just given a JLI membership so Max would have someone on scene to call the others in.

    JLI was the only title I followed religiously from start to finish (#60), ignoring every thing else that was being put out at the time. Unless it was League related.

    Only books I read from '87 to '92 were:
    JLI/A
    JLE
    JLIQ
    Mister Miracle
    Dr. Fate

    I loved it til the end.
    However, I think it jumped the shark when the Tortolini story started. And General Glory was just another hit to knock it down. It never recovered after those. Although, Breakdrowns was probably the best storyline it had received since the Gray Man.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 05-08-2014 at 10:07 AM.

  5. #5
    DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I agree about Dr. Light.
    She could've at least appeared in costume.

    But in hindsight, she was probably just given a JLI membership so Max would have someone on scene to call the others in.

    JLI was the only title I followed religiously from start to finish (#60), ignoring every thing else that was being put out at the time. Unless it was League related.

    Only books I read from '87 to '92 were:
    JLI/A
    JLE
    JLIQ
    Mister Miracle
    Dr. Fate

    I loved it til the end.
    However, I think it jumped the shark when the Tortolini story started. And General Glory was just another hit to knock it down. It never recovered after those. Although, Breakdrowns was probably the best storyline it had received since the Gray Man.
    The Gray Man story was okay, but I thought the series got really good once they added Ice and Fire. Liked when they went up against the Queen Bee. It was interesting seeing her because I first saw that character in Morrison's run where she was an alien. Never understood why they changed her back to that.

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member Nomads1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro/Brazil
    Posts
    2,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    My favorite run of the Justice League. I never understood the hate it got. It was like reading an anime from the eighties or early nineties at times. Maguire's art is gorgeous and Guy was awesome. Should have done more with Dr. Light though and the team could have been more diverse.
    I didn't know it got so much hate. A lot of people may find it a bit silly, at times, however, AFAIK, still have fondness for it.
    I also think Dr. Light SHOULD have been more used. She was a fresh character then, full of potentaial and looking for a place to show up in (which, I'm sad to say, she never really did).
    I can't understand that Breakdowns was never realeased in collected form.

    Peace

  7. #7
    Better than YOU! Alan2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,799

    Default

    I just finished a big reading marathon of the books a few days ago and I LOVE them. LOVE.

    There was just so much personality in them, and even though they tended to wreck things and mess up, there will still a majorly optimistic tone to the book.... not the kind of thing you'd get these days. Captain Glory in particular was awesome.

    One thing I didn't much care for though in the books was Batman. Batman was a straight up @$$hole to everyone. Not even in his normal "Batdick" way. I really wished at some point they would have just told the guy off, or better yet, let Guy kick his butt.

    Another thing I loved was the Extremists. While they may have just been Marvel imitations, they were some great villains. I'd love to see those guys make a return.

  8. #8
    Ultimate Member Lee Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    8,069

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    The Gray Man story was okay, but I thought the series got really good once they added Ice and Fire. Liked when they went up against the Queen Bee. It was interesting seeing her because I first saw that character in Morrison's run where she was an alien. Never understood why they changed her back to that.
    Queen Bee was one of the best JLI creations.
    I, too, was surprised that they reverted her back to alien.

    She could've become DC's answer to Dr. Doom.

  9. #9

    Default

    JLI is the best JL.
    BB

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member Nomads1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro/Brazil
    Posts
    2,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    One thing I didn't much care for though in the books was Batman. Batman was a straight up @$$hole to everyone. Not even in his normal "Batdick" way. I really wished at some point they would have just told the guy off, or better yet, let Guy kick his butt.
    I LOVED, I repeat, LOVED how much of a dick Batman was in those books, yet, deep down, you could feel that he, in his own way, cared for and liked them. NO WAY, did I want to see Guy kick his butt. It would make absolutely no sense. It's no coincidence that ONE PUNCH is one of the all-time best scenes in comics.

    On a side note, this is probably one of my favorite issues of the whole run (alongside the continuation on the next issue):

    JLI_16.jpg

    I loved when Bea is hitting on Wayne/Bats, and he riminds her that he is wearing a mask, and that beneth it he is ugly as sin. That is hilarious in So many levels.

    Peace

  11. #11
    Better than YOU! Alan2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,799

    Default

    I loved when Bea is hitting on Wayne/Bats, and he riminds her that he is wearing a mask, and that beneth it he is ugly as sin. That is hilarious in So many levels.
    Okay, I'll admit, that part was good, but otherwise he just rubbed me the wrong way.

  12. #12
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    726

    Default




  13. #13
    Astonishing Member Nomads1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro/Brazil
    Posts
    2,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Awsome!

    Peace

  14. #14
    Ultimate Member Lee Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    8,069

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Awsome!

    Peace
    And those are just the ones by DC.

  15. #15
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Maguire was and still is great. But my love for the book went into overdrive when Adam Hughes came on. That Despero stuff was so damn incredible to me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •