Page 523 of 564 FirstFirst ... 23423473513519520521522523524525526527533 ... LastLast
Results 7,831 to 7,845 of 8457

Thread: The FLASH

I think Agents of SHIELD hit the nail on the head this season in how to do it. They had Ghost Rider for the first half of the season then the LMD storyline. The main thing running through the whole season was the Darkhold and that tied everything together in the end but it didn't feel at all forced. Flash and the rest could definitely benefit from this approach. First half of the season tell one story and the second half another with little things tying them together. Maybe the first half someone like the Thinker uses pawns to get what he wants and in the midseason finale Flash takes him down but not before he breaks everyone out of Iron Heights thus setting up the second half the of the season with the Flash dealing with all the escaped Rogues. Two big stories that tie together but are still their own things.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I think Agents of SHIELD hit the nail on the head this season in how to do it. They had Ghost Rider for the first half of the season then the LMD storyline. The main thing running through the whole season was the Darkhold and that tied everything together in the end but it didn't feel at all forced. Flash and the rest could definitely benefit from this approach. First half of the season tell one story and the second half another with little things tying them together. Maybe the first half someone like the Thinker uses pawns to get what he wants and in the midseason finale Flash takes him down but not before he breaks everyone out of Iron Heights thus setting up the second half the of the season with the Flash dealing with all the escaped Rogues. Two big stories that tie together but are still their own things.
    To be fair, in some regards this season did have that approach.

The first half was focused on Barry dealing with the ramifications of Flashpoint and fighting Dr. Alchemy's acolytes.

The second half focused on Barry dealing with Savitar and trying to prevent all the future events from happening so he could save Iris.

They even have two different intro's for each arc.

Mighty Member

The problem with the big bad plot paradigm is that it is very forced if not done really, really well. Some shows have pulled it off with a compelling big bad. Supernatural and Buffy did at times. Savitar didn't make it as the plot made little sense and was based on Barry being an idiot. The first two seasons were better. Also, some of the big bad shows interjected interesting stand alone episodes. Flash lately is just a Savitar whine fest.

With a big bad - you know that the best you can get in an episode is no resolution to the issue until the end of the season. You have to hang on for a little reveal of some detail of the big bad.

As far as the JSA - it is the truth that they are trivially discarded in DC TV shows. Smallvile threw them away and had Dr. Fate - a cosmic level - just easily killed. Same with Flash. Also Jay - geez - a great character that gets tossed away also.

Standing Member

A big reason I started watching THE FLASH, even though I had little interest in it (based on what I saw on ARROW), was on account of John Wesley Shipp being in the series. It was disappointing to see him appear so seldom, but at least he was there. Then they killed off Henry Allen--which might have made me give up on the series, but they saved the day by at least having Shipp as Jay Garrick. I don't understand why he's hardly ever on the show. And yet every time he appears he brings a lot of value to each scene.

She talks kinda lazy and people say she she's crazy and her life's a mystery
    Oh, but love grows where my Rosemary goes and nobody knows like me

(another Tony Burrows one hit wonder)

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

The first half was focused on Barry dealing with the ramifications of Flashpoint and fighting Dr. Alchemy's acolytes.

The second half focused on Barry dealing with Savitar and trying to prevent all the future events from happening so he could save Iris.

I guess they did...but I dunno...they still didn't handle it great. Hell I'd almost forgotten all about Alchemy, so couldnt have been too memorable.

I'm saying breaking down even more...have a couple of arcs per half of season, maybe. Of course a running overall theme in the background. They need to do something to tighten up the writing. The long season with one big bad isn't working in favor of the writers.

It's like Arrow - to me - had gotten to a point where they maybe hook you in the first episode or two, then there is a bunch of crap that I halfway watch for like 15 episodes, then the last few episodes tighten up and get interesting again. They need to figure out how to better get from point A to point B with these shows.

Spectacular Member

Zero is right, Shield made a smart move of breaking up the season into really three parts. First part is Ghost Rider, the second with the Inhuman hating Russian and the third part HydraWorld. They brought it all together at the end except for maybe the Russian. Still, it made it feel like a complete story.

Arrow did a good job of spending the first part building the team then making Prometheus a mystery that needed to be solved. I will say they kinda dropped the ball on Ragman and Arsenal being a traitor. Talia is also very problematic for me as well. Its another Batman thing, Arrow shouldn't have. However, I have liked the fact that while Adrian is destroying Oliver, he is really destroying his own life at the same time. He lost his career, wife and it appears his mind. That has been a nice feature this season is having the villain lose things along the way as well. With Savitar, he has lost nothing. He really has been unstoppable except where they trapped him in the Speedforce, but he got out like three episodes. Supergirl had the smart idea of not really introducing the big bad full on til the last few episodes. Sometimes, you need a season of a small episodes with little hints of things to come then kick it into high gear for the last part of the season.
    Last edited by lotjx; 05-19-2017 at 09:42 AM.

Even then though you knew pretty early on that Alchemy was working for someone so it really flowed like your typical one long overreaching plot instead of being more broken up. I think having yet another speedster being the big bad is what hurt this season the most honestly. Maybe if they had saved this Savitar plot for season 4 it would not feel so tired. If they would have contained the stories more it would have worked better. They should have stayed on the Flashpoint Earth for more than one episode instead of rushing thought it and that might have made the season seem tighter. If they had shown us 3 or 4 episodes of Barry dealing with that Earth and then gone into the Alchemy storyline I think it would have been much better.

There was just SOOOOOO much useless filler in this last half of the season because they had to stretch it out until the season finale.

Mighty Member

Is it wrong that my real reaction was..."Barry, why don't you just ask Lyla to borrow the power dampener? If it works on you it'll work on Savitar."

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Is it wrong that my real reaction was..."Barry, why don't you just ask Lyla to borrow the power dampener? If it works on you it'll work on Savitar."
    Might not effect his armor though.

Mighty Member

Might not effect his armor though.
    They'd probably pull that, but since his powers seem to be what control it it really should be easy to shut down like that. Haha.

Of course it wouldn't. If the cannon did nothing, obviously his suit would specifically have been built to prevent all attacks that team Flash could dish out. The only bit that may leave space open is that he states his suit was damaged. Whether he was able to fix it has yet to be seen. If anything, I would guess maybe multiple vibers doing the speedster catch MIGHT hold him for a sec. But still, he knows all Barry knows. The only Barry he CAN'T read is 2024 Barry. I'm 99% positive we'll be seeing him (with a possible twist).

Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
    Of course it wouldn't. If the cannon did nothing, obviously his suit would specifically have been built to prevent all attacks that team Flash could dish out.
    The cannon might have, but it was the Philosopher's Stone that countered its energies and not the suit.

Sure. He said he'd be prepared. Would be kinda dumb for him to let go of it now.

Mighty Member

I'm also a bit amused at Catlin Frost's whole talk with Savitar as to whether or not he could kill Iris.

Surprised he didn't just stop, look her in the eye and remind her "I've already killed Iris once, remember? Time travel's fun that way."

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    I'm also a bit amused at Catlin Frost's whole talk with Savitar as to whether or not he could kill Iris.

Surprised he didn't just stop, look her in the eye and remind her "I've already killed Iris once, remember? Time travel's fun that way."
    Caitlin Snow/Killer Frost