Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Is it just me or does daimon hellstrom look a bit like Constantine in this.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jovos2099 View Post
    Is it just me or does daimon hellstrom look a bit like Constantine in this.
    Such similar characters either way

issue 2 was alright. Blade didn't do much but help fight some Demons, but no bad or low showings so I'll take it. Plus I like that they've gone back to the iconic look
    The J-man

I post via my phone a lot, therefore I make the occasional grammatical error. Not an excuse just forewarning you. Feel free to call me out I won't mind.

Astonishing Member

I like that Hellstrom is wearing clothes...but I also liked him when he wasn't wearing a shirt.

Fantastic Member

Have a feeling this mini series is going to be way too short to get good characterization

Astonishing Member

Going to be honest, isn't one of Blade's problems as a character just that he isn't really interesting? He's sort of cool if you can put him on the right team, but as of right now, there's only so much you can do with him. The only real new bits of characterization he's had is having a relationship with Spitfire and maybe the fact that he's not killing every single vampire he sees anymore.

I'm not sure what you can do with him beyond that. Oh, the long-lost daughter thing could have been cool, but it was also probably going to be a damn mess.

Incredible Member Geek Mangacomic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Going to be honest, isn't one of Blade's problems as a character just that he isn't really interesting? He's sort of cool if you can put him on the right team, but as of right now, there's only so much you can do with him. The only real new bits of characterization he's had is having a relationship with Spitfire and maybe the fact that he's not killing every single vampire he sees anymore.

I'm not sure what you can do with him beyond that. Oh, the long-lost daughter thing could have been cool, but it was also probably going to be a damn mess.
    They should just stick Blade in the Avengers.
    Reading List/Pull List
    Marvel: Old Man Logan, Old Man Hawkeye Old Man Logan vs. Deadpool, Cable, X-Men Gold, X-Men Red, X-Men Blue, Astonishing X-Men, Weapon X, Phoenix Ressurection, Royals, Black Bolt, Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Secret Warriors, Ms. Marvel, Champions, Daredevil, Defenders, Captain America
    DC: Deathstroke, Titans, Teen Titans, Batman, Action Comics, Doomsday Clock

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Geek Mangacomic View Post
    Which Ewing did and it worked! But only because the team was full of more interesting characters.

Incredible Member Geek Mangacomic's Avatar

Which Ewing did and it worked! But only because the team was full of more interesting characters.
    Blade is interesting, writers just don't utilize him well.
    Reading List/Pull List
    Marvel: Old Man Logan, Old Man Hawkeye Old Man Logan vs. Deadpool, Cable, X-Men Gold, X-Men Red, X-Men Blue, Astonishing X-Men, Weapon X, Phoenix Ressurection, Royals, Black Bolt, Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Secret Warriors, Ms. Marvel, Champions, Daredevil, Defenders, Captain America
    DC: Deathstroke, Titans, Teen Titans, Batman, Action Comics, Doomsday Clock

He's still in his 1998 state, it feels like. And he was interesting... in 1998, when that was fresh. But 1998 was a long time ago, and he needed to evolve past being a taller DMX with swords. He needed new powers, closer to Dracula or Dante (from Capcom fame) and an expansion from vampires to demons in general, closer to what Dr. Strange does. And he needed to play that role of Stephen as being a go to guy for all things Demon by the greater MU community.

And then, he needed some better side kicks or a team around him of fun characters to play off his personality. That don't get killed off or ignored by the next writer or writers.

As it is now, he's still Wesley Snipes circa U.S. Marshalls

I liked him as an Avenger. I kind of want to see him on a roster with Wolverine. they have that long lived bad@$$ thing in common.
    Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    Because its fun, not as fun as the liberal meltdown but close
    11/10/2016

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    He's still in his 1998 state, it feels like. And he was interesting... in 1998, when that was fresh. But 1998 was a long time ago, and he needed to evolve past being a taller DMX with swords. He needed new powers, closer to Dracula or Dante (from Capcom fame) and an expansion from vampires to demons in general, closer to what Dr. Strange does. And he needed to play that role of Stephen as being a go to guy for all things Demon by the greater MU community.

And then, he needed some better side kicks or a team around him of fun characters to play off his personality. That don't get killed off or ignored by the next writer or writers.

As it is now, he's still Wesley Snipes circa U.S. Marshalls
    This, Blade as a concept just hasn't really aged well. We're mostly out of the dark age of comics and it just feels like Blade doesn't have anywhere else to go.

In fact, I would argue this for the entire Marvel horror line. Where do they go? What are their personal goals? Because at this point, most of the characters are actually in sort of stable positions in life.
    Blade is interesting, writers just don't utilize him well.
    But how do you utilize him well?

Fantastic Member

I wouldn't say so. In his original conception, there were a lot of mental health issues he dealt with, alongside really interesting racial struggles. I mean Dracula used to scream racial epithets at him during their fights and he was arrested for attacking so many white folk (that people didn't know were vampires). Part of the issue with Blade is they introduced new attributes to him without giving him much space to explore them, and the movie conception of him as stoic really hindered character growth. Like when's the last time Blade actually had to weigh his dogmatic pursuit of the supernatural against a more balanced life. When's the last time Blade ever really confronted the difficulty of his task. Did Blade really ever deal with the fact that a lifes time of work was undone in his last solo series? Part of the reason Blade seems boring is because there are all of these aspects of himself that are straight up unexplored because people struggle to integrate the movie and comic personas. I think it's been written into his character a few times that he doesn't fear death at all, but do we know why?

As far as utilizing him well, I really don't think Marvel's horror line is all that viable. I do think he'd read better in a mythical epic type of story (similar to The Witcher) than to Marvel's more toned down horror stories.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    I wouldn't say so. In his original conception, there were a lot of mental health issues he dealt with, alongside really interesting racial struggles. I mean Dracula used to scream racial epithets at him during their fights and he was arrested for attacking so many white folk (that people didn't know were vampires). Part of the issue with Blade is they introduced new attributes to him without giving him much space to explore them, and the movie conception of him as stoic really hindered character growth. Like when's the last time Blade actually had to weigh his dogmatic pursuit of the supernatural against a more balanced life. When's the last time Blade ever really confronted the difficulty of his task. Did Blade really ever deal with the fact that a lifes time of work was undone in his last solo series? Part of the reason Blade seems boring is because there are all of these aspects of himself that are straight up unexplored because people struggle to integrate the movie and comic personas. I think it's been written into his character a few times that he doesn't fear death at all, but do we know why?

As far as utilizing him well, I really don't think Marvel's horror line is all that viable. I do think he'd read better in a mythical epic type of story (similar to The Witcher) than to Marvel's more toned down horror stories.
    I think part of the problem is that the guy is immortal, with an excellent healing factor. He's never going to age past his prime. At least, if he does, it's going to be a long time and a ton of vampires are going to die along the way. And then wasn't there a Midnight Sons series that dealt with him going insane and Dr. Strange having to magically heal his mental problems?

Another problem I have with Blade is, well, he's sort of transcended race. He's just Blade and the fact that he's black doesn't seem to register like it does with characters like Luke Cage, Miles Morales, Blue Marvel, Photon, or Black Panther. There are some people who would argue that this is a good thing, but as you said, that's taking away something very interesting from him. He's a black man fighting a mostly rich and white minority who are literal parasites.

But current writers really don't do anything with that. And by all logic, they should! Blade grew up during a very racially divided time, he has been harassed for, well being black essentially and facing problems that white characters wouldn't have. This was really sort of noticeable in Ewing's Avengers. All of the other black characters are dealing with racially charged issues and Ewing handled it wonderfully. But Blade just didn't.

A non-interesting character doesn't headline 3 films, a tv show, a video game etc etc. Any great writer knows how to tell a good Blade story. He's got a good origin, than throw in badass action hero and you've got more than enough to work with. After that its on the writer to flush out supporting and some intriguing story arcs & premises. Vampires and other monsters have been interesting forever.

Last edited by Jabare; 11-13-2017 at 06:31 PM.
    The J-man

I post via my phone a lot, therefore I make the occasional grammatical error. Not an excuse just forewarning you. Feel free to call me out I won't mind.