Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Cyclops, #1

With Greg Rucka and Russell Dauterman's great new "Cyclops" ongoing, space, not sky, is the limit.

Full review here.

I picked up this up in part b/c I've been following Bendis' All-New/Uncanny run (it has it's ups and downs but is fun overall), but mostly b/c I'm a huge Lazarus fan and I think Greg Rucka is one of the greatest writers in comics. My faith in Mr. Rucka did not fail me. This first issue was packed with laughs, action and heartfelt character moments from start to finish. The Starjammers' introductions were handled seamlessly in a way that you would expect of a master storyteller. There is no painful exposition to be found here. I'm excited about both 16-year-old Scott and his new monthly's futures!

For taste comparison, the other Marvel titles I pull are: Hawkeye, Daredevil, Moon Knight, All-New & Uncanny X-Men. Go buy Cyclops if you haven't hit your LCS yet this week!

Quote Originally Posted by lefthighkick View Post
    Greg Rucka is one of the greatest writers in comics
    If anyone needs more of a reason than this to grab the book, they've got to sort their priorities. I ignored this when it was announced, but once it was pointed out who was writing, it became an instant purchase. Not a doubt in my mind.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I love Rucka, but will be trade waiting this; despite the promise of "great joy in the pants"...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

This was a great issue but I'm wondering how long it will last. I just discovered Lazarus and Rucka's world building is incredible. I'm hoping this series lasts long enough to take advantage of that talent.
    DIS GUY MUST BE A ALIEN OR SUTIN - gerybaboona

this was a lot better than it had any right to be but....can we at least get a hint that someone realizes Corsair was freakin' DEAD and now he's not? I don't need much explanation outside of "because comics," I just would like it touched on in SOME capacity at SOME point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    I just would like it touched on in SOME capacity at SOME point.
    I've suggested this before, but let it be a "ripple effect" of the O5 being in the present: Some subtle change has occurred in the timeline that has resulted in Corsair having survived the event that originally killed him.

Great issue. High hopes for the series.

It was pointed out at least twice that Corsair has to take his mystery 'medication'. I believe that's a key point re: his resurrection that will be touched on later.
    Why? Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

I really enjoyed this book, as other have stated i was going to pass this up but soo happy i didn't it was great!!

this was a lot better than it had any right to be but....can we at least get a hint that someone realizes Corsair was freakin' DEAD and now he's not? I don't need much explanation outside of "because comics," I just would like it touched on in SOME capacity at SOME point.
    I agree. I actually had to look up on Wikipedia Corsair in order to make sure I hadn't missed an issue. There's bound to be an explanation. I hope it's good!!!

Huh? I came to this thread to ask if Corsair had been brought back from the dead in The Trial Of Jean Grey (or what ever it was called, I don't read ANADXM or GotG, because... Bendis), only to find out his resurrection is unexplained. I do hope that it's brought up sooner rather than later (partly story reasons and partly because I don't know how long this book will last), and can definitely see the medication he needs to take playing a part of that.

Also glad to see Sikorsky and Cr+eee (I always thought it was a + and not a ' in his name), the oft forgotten Starjammers appear. Now what about Waldo?

It's nice to see a hero and dad team up when so often their origins are tied into daddy issues.

Not familiar with Rucka really, I know the name and the reputation. Gotta say, really enjoyed this. I'm game for as long as it lasts.

Not to mention that Hep was living on earth and shacked up with Warpath?

Quote Originally Posted by j505tuppe View Post
    It's nice to see a hero and dad team up when so often their origins are tied into daddy issues.
    Yeah i liked the feels this book gave.