Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Bruno Heller: "'Gotham' Will Surpass the Batman Movies" Visually

In a recent interview, "Gotham" showrunner Bruno Heller praised the visual direction of the show and teased what viewers can expect from the greenlit series.

Full article here.

This show sounds like it's going to be so awkward.

I read this and wonder why Gotham Central wasn't the show they made instead.

They must have one hellova budget then.

So it's the Smallville of Batman?

BANNED

Nobody wants to see Joker before there's a Batman.

Nobody.

And don't trust Bruno Heller. He fouled up The Mentalist, he's going to drop the ball hard here, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin Truth View Post
    Nobody wants to see Joker before there's a Batman.

Nobody.

And don't trust Bruno Heller. He fouled up The Mentalist, he's going to drop the ball hard here, too.
    I'm sure plenty of people would like to see it, just not very many that read batman comics.

And how, exactly, did Heller "drop the ball" with the Mentalist?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    I'm sure plenty of people would like to see it, just not very many that read batman comics.

And how, exactly, did Heller "drop the ball" with the Mentalist?
    By taking a mystery-based story arc that spanned five seasons and was the backbone of the show and completely destroying it with an ending that made absolutely no sense given the clues from the previous seasons and embarrassed both the characters and the audience.

It wasn't even that the guy Red John turned out to be wasn't who I wanted it to be, but it was somebody who it couldn't even be given the evidence, and the finale was handled poorly so that Heller could "reinvent" the show into something barely anybody watches anymore.

In short, he lost interest and gave fans the biggest botched mystery finale in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    So it's the Smallville of Batman?
    I imagine they'll milk Batman: Year One(minus Batman) for all it's worth as long as they can.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    It's like giving Wolverine his origin. It was WAAAAAAAY better left a mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightsabretooth View Post
    Someone suggested (and I highly approve of this idea) that they give us all of the origins of the joker. Every suggested origin we have ever seen of the joker get's shown with no resolution. Kinda like in the Dark Knight when he kept giving different explanations on how he got the scars.
    "Drewbacca?"

I'm sorry I was expecting shadayim

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Someone suggested (and I highly approve of this idea) that they give us all of the origins of the joker. Every suggested origin we have ever seen of the joker get's shown with no resolution. Kinda like in the Dark Knight when he kept giving different explanations on how he got the scars.
    The general public would never understand that in a million years. While that is a great idea, it wouldn't go over well at all with the TV watching public/non comic book fans.

Not to mention Joker has to be about the same age as kid Bruce Wayne in this show.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I read this and wonder why Gotham Central wasn't the show they made instead.
    For real. They could still have Catwoman, Penguin and all in it, but leave Batman as unseen presence like the president in Veep.

The general public would never understand that in a million years. While that is a great idea, it wouldn't go over well at all with the TV watching public/non comic book fans.

Not to mention Joker has to be about the same age as kid Bruce Wayne in this show.
    You don't have to make a big deal about it though. Make it a back ground story. Or the teaser before the credits. Do it as an easter egg for the fans with no emphasis placed on it so as not to distract the casual viewer.
    "Drewbacca?"

I'm sorry I was expecting shadayim

And only people who read comics think like that or even care. The audience didn't have a problem with the Joker getting an origin in Burton's Batman and they won't have a problem with it on Gotham.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin Truth View Post
    By taking a mystery-based story arc that spanned five seasons and was the backbone of the show and completely destroying it with an ending that made absolutely no sense given the clues from the previous seasons and embarrassed both the characters and the audience.

It wasn't even that the guy Red John turned out to be wasn't who I wanted it to be, but it was somebody who it couldn't even be given the evidence, and the finale was handled poorly so that Heller could "reinvent" the show into something barely anybody watches anymore.

In short, he lost interest and gave fans the biggest botched mystery finale in years.
    I agree that the Red John wrap felt somewhat underwhelming and perfunctory. But I disagree that he "dropped the ball" on the series because, quite frankly, the whole Red John thing had grown stale and it was beyond time for the show to move on. If the revelation of Red John had signaled the end of the show, then maybe it would have made sense to do it in a more epic, grandiose way. But since the show was slated to continue after the end of Red John, I actually think there was some storytelling logic in making the revel seem somewhat underwhelming and anticlimactic. Jane had spent the better part of a decade chasing this guy who had been built up to be some kind of towering mastermind genius, all the while plotting his operatic revenge, only to have the great white whale turn out to be just some guy on a power trip with a twisted death fetish. It brought a bit of irony to the finish of it that someone like Jane--a guy who became rich and famous by pretending to be a psychic only to have that pretense result in Red john killing his family--would appreciate.

I think the show is better this season than it has been in a while (and quite frankly, my favorite parts of the previous seasons were the ones that had little or nothing to do with Red John, Lorelei Martins notwithstanding). My only complaint is the absence of Grace Van Pelt (or, more specifically, Amanda Righetti).