Page 655 of 655 FirstFirst ... 155555605645651652653654655
Results 9,811 to 9,820 of 9820
    Astonishing Member

Something else came to mind:

A GL, an individual with the ability to overcome great fear, would be an awesome motivational speaker.

They tend to be relegated as space cops, but a naturally charismatic GL could easily sway large numbers of people.

Sinestro showed how a fascist GL can rule a world, but other stories can display that ruling by force is not necessary.

A GL can be just as inspirational as Superman.

If the general public knew about how Simon was able to revive his brother-in-law, would that inspire people to follow him, or curse him as a false god?

John would be exceptional in a role like that, he already was a human rights activist in the beginning and he was depicted as a senator(I think) during the Book of Oa sequence in Johns' final GL issue.

Hal probably wouldn't do as well, since he usually lets his actions speak for him. Or maybe writers have just gone too far with the notion that he's a doer and not a thinker, though there's a memorable sequence in the Injustice comic where Hal sticks it to Congress really bad. It was a glorious moment.

Astonishing Member

I think all the Earth-bound GL's are inspiring.

Whether it was brain-damage, or NFL/Pro wrestling style untreated concussions, I think Guy can be inspiring. With a history head-trauma, Guy can easily use a power ring, while Green Arrow, a man of sound mind (sans the iconic personality quirks) struggled to. I post this with the assumption that head injuries are still canon.

While John, Kyle, & Simon may seem obvious, I would not rule Hal out. I just think writers get too caught up in making Hal too macho.

I agree with you Johnny: Hal may not be into speeches, but his actions could create a following.

Another trait of Hal is that he never gives up on people which should inspire others.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I think all the Earth-bound GL's are inspiring.

Whether it was brain-damage, or NFL/Pro wrestling style untreated concussions, I think Guy can be inspiring. With a history head-trauma, Guy can easily use a power ring, while Green Arrow, a man of sound mind (sans the iconic personality quirks) struggled to. I post this with the assumption that head injuries are still canon.

While John, Kyle, & Simon may seem obvious, I would not rule Hal out. I just think writers get too caught up in making Hal too macho.

I agree with you Johnny: Hal may not be into speeches, but his actions could create a following.

Another trait of Hal is that he never gives up on people which should inspire others.
    It was really interesting with the comparison of "will" made when GA couldn't pull up that much of a construct because his will was fueled by "skepticism" as opposed to the "stronger, confident," will Hal Jordan and other Lantern's experience. A concept we've seen reflected recently with Cruz, whose will was reflected entirely in her self-worth.

Astonishing Member

It would be an interesting story if a GL inspired an entire planet, or a sector, and the people voluntarily made him/her/it the undisputed leader.

No greed, avarice, or ego was involved, but I would think the Guardians would not approve.

How would the GLC respond?

Would they try to strip the GL of the ring?

Would the GLC be seen as villains?

How much unrest within the GLC would this situation create?

The GL did not use any force, the people straight-up submitted. The GL is actually doing a superb job.

How jealous would Sinestro be?

Perhaps this story was already done before in a GL book....

Part of my thinking comes from previous stories:

Simon reviving a sibling.

Sinestro subjugating his world.

Hal not using his ring to bring back Iris for Barry, Pre-Crisis. It is a fine line between wanting to help your bro, and playing god.

Emerald Twilight - this story would have worked better if it happened to an alien GL, imo. In the end, this benevolent GL might cross the line (forgetting that the masses must figure things out for themselves/use bad experiences to grow) and seek more power.

Hal was not a GL when he cured John's paralysis, reestablished Wally's secret ID, & resurrected Oliver (so I'm not considering those examples).

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Then maybe it's time for you to read it again.
    And the sales numbers can tell if the context is solid or not.
    I probably will, but I'm still enjoying Venditti .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    It was really interesting with the comparison of "will" made when GA couldn't pull up that much of a construct because his will was fueled by "skepticism" as opposed to the "stronger, confident," will Hal Jordan and other Lantern's experience. A concept we've seen reflected recently with Cruz, whose will was reflected entirely in her self-worth.
    The GL mythos is really interesting when you dig a bit deeper.

How different would the results of a brain scan of a GL compared to someone like Oliver? Keep in mind, Oliver is intelligent, and a world class athlete. Oliver's ability to focus has to be extraordinary, yet an "alley rat" like Kyle has no issues with using a power ring.

Astonishing Member

Last weird post from me for today (I hope).

I want a 4 part story where Slade Wilson acquires an orange power ring.

Hal Jordan has to remove the ring from his finger before Agent Orange goes nuts on Earth.

Who should write & draw this glorious tale?

If Priest & Johns are involved (which they should be in some capacity), then I hope John Stewart is not featured at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    That's classic .