Super Moderator

Default Spider-Man, Batman Dominate Top Ten Sales Chart for April 2014

Marvel's Amazing and Superior Spider-Men dominated April 2014 sales, while "Batman Eternal" launched strong and Image controls the TPB charts.

Full article here.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

I still don't get how Walking Dead Vol. 1 is selling so many copies every month. You think everyone would have bought a copy by now.

Also, those Spider-Man issues were selling that much? Gees, no wonder Marvel took it with this month.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    I still don't get how Walking Dead Vol. 1 is selling so many copies every month. You think everyone would have bought a copy by now.
    There are always new customers, especially when you have a hit TV show that even non-comic lovers adore.

Spider-Man sold over 600,000 units. You have to figure, Superior was averaging in the 90 thousands range, so Amazing was worth more than six Superior issues. Added to that is the 50% price bump ($4 normally to $6), and it is easy to see why Marvel is so happy (they made hand over fist this month).

Regardless, DC should be truly happy. Eternal is a huge success and landed them four spots on the top ten, which is no easy feat.

I'm shocked that 2 $5.99 books went 1-2 in Unit Sales. I'm surprised that Batman Eternal didn't do better sales wise actually. What really surpises me is that Hulk #1 sold so well. It just goes to prove Marvel's point, #1's sell like Hotcakes. I'll be surprised if we ever see a series by Marvel go past #30 again.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Geek View Post
    I'm shocked that 2 $5.99 books went 1-2 in Unit Sales. I'm surprised that Batman Eternal didn't do better sales wise actually. What really surpises me is that Hulk #1 sold so well. It just goes to prove Marvel's point, #1's sell like Hotcakes. I'll be surprised if we ever see a series by Marvel go past #30 again.
    Hulk #1 sold well because it's the Hulk written by Mark Waid. Marvel's problem is launching stuff like Loki: Agent of Asgard #1 by Al Ewing, or Secret Avengers #1 by Ales Kot. Marvel Now! worked really well because they launched all of their strong titles with strong creators. All-New Marvel Now! isn't quite working as well. I'm worried if they keep launching these C-List character, no name creator number 1's it's going to end up screwing them over somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Geek View Post
    The big ending to a year long epic is going to sell well and the new #1 featuring the return of the iconic Spider-Man are going to sell well. Batman has proven you can raise the price on important issues and people will fork over the extra cash without question.

Eternal did really well. Barring big surprises, the second issue that is double shipped in a month usually sells less than the first, so it makes sense that issues 3 and 4 of Eternal would sell less than issue 1 (and even issue 2).

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post
    There are always new customers, especially when you have a hit TV show that even non-comic lovers adore.

Spider-Man sold over 600,000 units. You have to figure, Superior was averaging in the 90 thousands range, so Amazing was worth more than six Superior issues. Added to that is the 50% price bump ($4 normally to $6), and it is easy to see why Marvel is so happy (they made hand over fist this month).

Regardless, DC should be truly happy. Eternal is a huge success and landed them four spots on the top ten, which is no easy feat.
    Where'd you see a units sold statistic?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    It has already been reported in the previous weeks that that book surpassed the 500k and then 600k sales mark.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJelly View Post
    Hulk #1 sold well because it's the Hulk written by Mark Waid. Marvel's problem is launching stuff like Loki: Agent of Asgard #1 by Al Ewing, or Secret Avengers #1 by Ales Kot. Marvel Now! worked really well because they launched all of their strong titles with strong creators. All-New Marvel Now! isn't quite working as well. I'm worried if they keep launching these C-List character, no name creator number 1's it's going to end up screwing them over somehow.
    Actually Mark Waid's Hulk has been relaunched because the sales figure were low, the same is true for the FF relaunch, and both had a good result with the first issue. It remains to be seen if they will maintain those levels or not, FF is already near pre relaunch figures for example. The books that feature minor characters on the other hand debuted with lower sales (it's to be expected) but until now had many reprints and are holding to their levels a lot better at least standing to the sales charts (Black Widow, Ms. Marvel, Punisher).

Launching books about minor characters without famous creators helps keeping the books alive because they don't need to sell 50-60k per issue to pay the authors and stay profitable. In a market where Iron Man and Thor sells around 30-40k (with big names on them) you can't realistically expect Ghost Rider or Elektra to stay on the same level so you need to stay on a budget. GOT was the exception but they knew a movie was coming so they needed to keep a certain profile. At least with the creative teams they have books like Loki, Black Widow, She-Hulk, Punisher and so on will be able to keep running selling around 25-30k per issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    Marvel publicized those numbers in early April.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...n-comic-693066
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=51871
    http://www.newsarama.com/20726-marve...1-content.html

It's the result of a variety of factors, and certainly helped by the Variant Cover incentive structure in which stores that ordered enough copies got their own exclusive cover.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Marvel publicized those numbers in early April.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...n-comic-693066
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=51871
    http://www.newsarama.com/20726-marve...1-content.html

It's the result of a variety of factors, and certainly helped by the Variant Cover incentive structure in which stores that ordered enough copies got their own exclusive cover.
    Thanks- I missed that entirely.

Yea all those numbers are skewed greatly. Good for Marvel for selling that many copies though.

I grabbed the JSC connecting Midtown covers. I thought they'd go nicely with the 700 Superior 1 connecting covers. However, once I saw them colored I wasn't a huge fan.

Beyond that, I didn't see any incredibly appealing variants. I'm always amazed how well books do with all the variants though.

Oh and one other note: I wasn't a huge fan of the regular cover. I think this interior page would have made a better cover:

Sales in June are decent for the main titles.

Amazing Spider-Man #3 was in second place, above Original Sin.

Amazing Spider-Man #1.2 was in seventh place, solid for a flashback (and it's likely to be an evergreen seller for Marvel as an accessible TPB length Spidey story with a top-tier creative team.)

The bad news is Superior Foes in 125th place.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

ASM 1.2 is a surprise for me, since it seems naturally to be the kind of story people would trade wait.

Nice to see former ASM artist JRJR get some love for Superman 32.

But its unbelievable to me that Harley Quinn #7 is in fourth place, let alone that it sold 93,000 copies. Did the creative team do a deal with the devil or is HQ really that popular right now? Whichever it is, I am really thinking the time may be right to do a HQ movie.

Kudos to Marvel to making Spider-Man a best selling title again.
    And to see a Flashback title of Spidey by the same writer in the Top 10 as well,is a good sign to see how Spidey is back at top form among all the most popular comic book characters.