Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Moon Knight, #3

"Moon Knight" #3 has Marc Spector go up against ghosts, even as Warren Ellis and Declan Shalvey dig into some of the other things that Moon Knight doesn't remember doing.

Full review here.

Loved it!
    I feel like re-reading my old Planetary comics.
    Hey...it's me Rogerio!
    GRAYSON * SECRET AVENGERS * BLACK WIDOW * LOW * VELVET * JUPITER LEGACY * ZERO * WONDER WOMAN * MAGNETO * ELEKTRA * THE FADE OUT *

Haven't been to my LCS yet, but it sounds like more of the same. I think I'll be dropping the series. The art is great, but I haven't enjoyed the story or the the characters. Too much cliched dialogue and the plots haven't interested me. I know it seems like I'm jumping too early, but I just don't think the writing is gonna grab me - which is a shame, because I've heard good stuff about Ellis.

I am enjoying it so far. I would like to see the world built up a little but that does not need to be rushed.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ahab View Post
    Haven't been to my LCS yet, but it sounds like more of the same. I think I'll be dropping the series. The art is great, but I haven't enjoyed the story or the the characters. Too much cliched dialogue and the plots haven't interested me. I know it seems like I'm jumping too early, but I just don't think the writing is gonna grab me - which is a shame, because I've heard good stuff about Ellis.
    I don't think you're jumping out too early at all. My rule of thumb is to give any new series 3-4 issues because by that point i've spent bare minimum nearly 10 bucks I'm never getting back. If I've invested money in three issues and it still doesn't grip me in the ways I'd like it to than it gets dropped because that's money I could be putting towards other new series I could explore.

This series feels like it's going to be an acquired taste. If you like Ellis' weird style than you'll love this book. If you find his stuff a little off putting than you won't like this book. I'll be sticking with this book for the next little while. I like how Ellis has done three predominately stand alone issues in a row. It doesn't feel like he's writing for trade like most Marvel books of late do. It's just nice to see him go against the typical flow of writing arcs and instead doing stand alone stories that have pieces that interconnect them all.

The issues starts and ends very quickly which is a good and bad thing I guess. But overall, great series thus far.

As someone who has literally read every comic with Moon Knight in it, in terms of pure butt-kicking, the third issue of this series was a joy to read.

I'm not sure if the first few issues out the gate are simply intended to set the tone for this latest interpretation of Moon Knight, and that more long format story lines will start to be introduced later on. Hopefully so. I've always wanted someone to delve into Moon Knight's ancient Egyptian and supernatural ties more, and it looks like I'm going to get to see that now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyljitsu View Post
    I don't think you're jumping out too early at all. My rule of thumb is to give any new series 3-4 issues because by that point i've spent bare minimum nearly 10 bucks I'm never getting back. If I've invested money in three issues and it still doesn't grip me in the ways I'd like it to than it gets dropped because that's money I could be putting towards other new series I could explore.

This series feels like it's going to be an acquired taste. If you like Ellis' weird style than you'll love this book. If you find his stuff a little off putting than you won't like this book. I'll be sticking with this book for the next little while. I like how Ellis has done three predominately stand alone issues in a row. It doesn't feel like he's writing for trade like most Marvel books of late do. It's just nice to see him go against the typical flow of writing arcs and instead doing stand alone stories that have pieces that interconnect them all.

The issues starts and ends very quickly which is a good and bad thing I guess. But overall, great series thus far.
    Well I'm glad you said that! I was scared I was jumping too soon, but I just didn't feel like having this book take a spot on my pull list.

A thing about Ellis's writing, though: I haven't found it entirely "weird," as you put it. His stories and their structures are definitely different from everything else Marvel is putting out, but at the same time I can't find anything completely unique. Maybe it's just these one-shot issues that are turning me off.

Anyway, I haven't read anything else by him, so take what I say with a grain of salt...
    Last edited by Captain Ahab; 05-10-2014 at 11:04 AM.

Magneto gets similar praise and I can't get into it, dropped it with the second issue, so I can understand.

I thought this issue was about as good as the reviewer said, but I have to strongly disagree with the "ignored at best" stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Magneto gets similar praise and I can't get into it, dropped it with the second issue, so I can understand.

I thought this issue was about as good as the reviewer said, but I have to strongly disagree with the "ignored at best" stuff.
    Oh, Magneto - I was interested in that book, but I never picked it up. What didn't you like about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Aviax View Post
    As someone who has literally read every comic with Moon Knight in it, in terms of pure butt-kicking, the third issue of this series was a joy to read.

I'm not sure if the first few issues out the gate are simply intended to set the tone for this latest interpretation of Moon Knight, and that more long format story lines will start to be introduced later on. Hopefully so. I've always wanted someone to delve into Moon Knight's ancient Egyptian and supernatural ties more, and it looks like I'm going to get to see that now.
    I agree there is a lot of unexplored material that can be used there.

I didn't love the first two issues of "Moon Knight," but I thought this issue was great. Using Moon Knight's magic Egyptian artifacts to fight the ghosts was an interesting and original concept. I've been a huge fan of Warren Ellis' work, so I'm glad I stuck with this title. I have faith that Ellis will create something impressive with his run on "Moon Knight."

This series is so strange in that I don't know whether to love it or hate it. Every issue has me totally puzzled as to what's really going on but when I think back on it, the stories all seem very simple. I love the self contained issues and the mystery of the month format is great in that it's very unique; Shalvey's style is also fantastic and suits the tone of the story. This issue had Moon Knight fighting ghosts, losing, suiting up in Egyptian gear, and going back to kick some ass; it's so simple yet I enjoyed it all. Ellis didn't even explain why the ghosts were roaming about; they're just ghosts and this is just a supernatural threat for MK to face. My only confusion comes from the two people he sees when conversing with Khonshu; who are these people and why don't they say anything?

You're talking about the guys in the room, right? These guys are Steven Grant and Jake Lockley, his two other human personalities.

I've really been enjoying this series so far. It's definitely an Ellis comic (which is always a plus), but I think the thing that has me coming back for more is the done-in-one nature. Personally, if a superhero comic just keeps dragging on with a story, I get burnt out. With Moon Knight, every issue seems like a fresh start and I never know what to expect, I just know I'll like it. May Ellis, Shalvey, and Bellaire be on this title forever.
    currently reading and enjoying very, very much: Manhattan Projects, Mind MGMT, Moon Knight, Ragnarok, Southern Bastards

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    You're talking about the guys in the room, right? These guys are Steven Grant and Jake Lockley, his two other human personalities.
    Thanks. Was that something I missed in the series or is it some kind of Moon Knight common knowledge? I don't mind them being there since they don't really do anything but it was confusing. Also, these two weren't in the Bendis run I believe.