Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

John started out as an angry black man (sorta like Kanye West, haha) because in 1972 Denny O'Neil thought that angry black men were cool That was a long, long time ago though.

Quote Originally Posted by Spy Smasher View Post
    Geoff wrote Rebirth while under the influence of HEAT. What you saw after that was just Geoff.
    That makes no sense at all. Where is your proof of that?
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    That makes no sense at all. Where is your proof of that?
    If you were in HEAT, as I was, then you know that Geoff was a member. Rebirth was what HEAT wanted. After that, Geoff did his thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spy Smasher View Post
    If you were in HEAT, as I was, then you know that Geoff was a member. Rebirth was what HEAT wanted. After that, Geoff did his thing.
    I know Johns was a member of H.E.A.T. That still doesn't give a valid reason as to why he would completely change the way he wrote Hal after that initial story. Wouldn't he have wanted to continue to please H.E.A.T by writing Hal the same way he did in GLR?
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

Nope. Geoff just kinda -- as I say -- did his thing. HEAT wasn't very active for a couple of years leading up to Rebirth because the members were very confident that Geoff would fix everything. Too confident, really. And after Rebirth, HEAT didn't do anything at all.

For as long as you leave Geoff on a title, he'll change stuff. After 10 years, he'll still be changing stuff. That's just how it is, for good or for bad.

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    I've only read him for the last 7-10 years or so but he hasn't come across that way to me. Hal and Guy are the angry ones.
    What? Hal is definitely not the angry one. Guy? Yeah. Of course. But Hal is really not an angry personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Wait but John is always calm and level headed. If Guy and Hal were black there would be no question about their temperament being a stereotype
    Uh, he is so not. Want proof? Read any comic dealing with the aftermath of Katma Tui's death. During that whole thing, John was obsessed with killing Star Sapphire, even though it also meant killing Carol Ferris (an innocent victim of the Star Sapphire's control of her body). Doesn't sound so level headed to me.

Since when is Hal angry on a regular basis? The only times I can recall him being in fits of rage were when the Guardians didn't let him re-create Coast City and when Vendetti took over the GL title.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    ... He wasn't really angry there either.
    Yeah, I agree with both you and Rakzo. Hal is not angry on a regular basis, but even Venditti doesn't characterize him as an angry person. Venditti's Hal, like a lot of interpretations of Hal is level-headed, and a bit overconfident (which is a quality that I think makes Hal kind of human). It adds some dimension to his character, the fact that he questions authority and dives into some situations half-cocked. However, Venditti takes the latter quality to an extreme.

I know Johns was a member of H.E.A.T. That still doesn't give a valid reason as to why he would completely change the way he wrote Hal after that initial story. Wouldn't he have wanted to continue to please H.E.A.T by writing Hal the same way he did in GLR?

WTF is H.E.A.T.?

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    WTF is H.E.A.T.?
    http://glheat.tripod.com/

I like the Justice League cartoon version of him, being a bit of a bookworm.

I don't know why but I see the 4 human Green Lanterns like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles:
    Hal Jordan - Leonardo - Leader
    Guy Gardner - Raphael - Angry One
    John Stewart - Donatello - Smart One
    Kyle Rayner - Michelangelo - Laid back funny one
    FAIL HYDRA

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post

I don't know why but I see the 4 human Green Lanterns like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles:
    I would agree about Guy and John but I don't really see Hal as a Leo nor Kyle as a Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post

I don't agree with any of those, none of them are remotely like the TMNT. You really have to boil them down to one/two word similarities to get that. Leo tends to start with a lot of doubts about his capabilities as a leader, whilst Hal never doubted his abilities but instead his direction and they're not really alike in personality. Guy is too macho to be Raph, who's more troubled. John's not nerdy like Don. And Kyle's not really laid back. Or even funny.

He was. Now he's just boring.

I think I get Mutant God's approach, but you gotta look at it from a simple perspective. Both characters don't have to be exactly the same.

Both Leo and Hal are leaders and have to go through the troubles of keeping their teams together.
    Ralph and Guy frequently butt heads with said leader, and tend to be the most aggressive and ruthless; Hell, Guy's a red lantern.
    John and Don are nerds.
    Mike and Kyle are the most compassionate.

LOL. I just remembered John and Guy had red and indigo rings in WOTGL.

I personally dont have much experience with John Stewart, but I really liked the way he was portrayed in the zero year tie in issue: a highly competent technical professional who also happens to be a soldier/peace keeper who isnt afraid to go against authority to do the right thing.

Having this type of lead character is one of the reasons Im really enjoying the current GLC run, apart from the hard SciFi direction that is.
    Hellboy|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Lazarus|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Zero|EW|Harbinger|Rai|Unity|XO Manowar
    Batman|FuturesEnd|GreenLantern+Corps|JL|RedLantern s|Sinestro|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|Daredevil|Magneto|Thor|X-Force

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    DC needs to release Mosaic already and prove a lot of naysayers wrong.
    It took 30 years to get John's run as head GL out in trade. So going by that logic we should see it around 2023.

John Stewart? Angry?

Hardly. He always came across as the quiet level headed one in the comics. In JLU, he was a bit authoritative due to his prior military background which isn't the same as being angry or a stereotype. He softened up as the series progressed.