Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default A Woman, 10 Comic Shops and the FCBD Experience

Wonder what Free Comic Book Day is like for the uninitiated? One woman just had her first FCBD adventure, hitting 10 Southern California shops during the event.

Full article here.

Why must I chase the cat? ExcelsiorPrime's Avatar

That "Mouse Guard" book was one of my favs of Free comic book day. Also the Hip Hop History Comic.

This years FCBD was the best..more people went than I have ever seen before.

The next stop wasn't particularly impressive to look at, appearing more like a warehouse than a bonafide comic store, but we found there was definitely worth the trip
    Congrats you survived your first comic dungeon. They may not look like much but they have some great back issues.

Nice slice of life article...Hope to read more from you in the future.
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 05-10-2014 at 08:29 AM.
    My webcomic Updated Weekly
    Twitter
    Blog

No Collector's Paradise? Definitely give one of their two stores a visit for Free Comic Book May: http://comicsandcards.net/?page_id=6135

The next stop wasn't particularly impressive to look at, appearing more like a warehouse than a bonafide comic store, but we found there was definitely worth the trip.

One of the best comic stores I've ever been to was in what looked like a storage locker in Las Vegas. Nothing around it but closed roll-up warehouse doors. But when I walked in, the owner greeted me, told me his name and asked mine. He was super friendly. He even gave me a 30% discount knowing full well I was from out of town and would probably never come back to his store.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    The next stop wasn't particularly impressive to look at, appearing more like a warehouse than a bonafide comic store, but we found there was definitely worth the trip.

One of the best comic stores I've ever been to was in what looked like a storage locker in Las Vegas. Nothing around it but closed roll-up warehouse doors. But when I walked in, the owner greeted me, told me his name and asked mine. He was super friendly. He even gave me a 30% discount knowing full well I was from out of town and would probably never come back to his store.
    Comic Fans should know never judge a book by its covers. And you are right just because a comic shop doesn't look like Barnes and Noble doesn't mean that it is a bad store. Customer Service should be the number one factor.

That being said, some stores lose a lot of business by being dimly lit. Some new readers come in and they wonder if they will be eaten by a grue.

Coke to whomever gets that reference.
    Twitter
    Blog

Nice read!
    My review of the new Kix CD Rock Your Face Off is now available at this KNAC.com link.

My review of the Overkill CD White Devil Armory is now available at this KNAC.com link.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I always assumed that comic book stores had incredibly tinted windows because they were in bad neighborhoods or something...but now I assume it's either to 1) protect the books or 2) inspire a very shady image.

Quote Originally Posted by Zainu View Post
    I always assumed that comic book stores had incredibly tinted windows because they were in bad neighborhoods or something...but now I assume it's either to 1) protect the books or 2) inspire a very shady image.
    Excessive sunlight tans paper. Really good comic shops keep direct sunlight off of books..because of the tendency for comic paper to tan light brown. So windows are either tinted or posters are put up to block direct sunlight.

But LOL at the thought of a comic shop being in a bad neighborhood. Toys r us in the hood. lol

Just remember that mail gets delivered, as well as pizzas and cable service. So next time somebody says a neighborhood is bad--think about all the services that continue to be performed in those same neighborhood--so how bad could it be when mail, pizza, cable services are provided. /gets off soapbox/
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 05-10-2014 at 03:51 PM.
    Twitter
    Blog

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    Comic Fans should know never judge a book by its covers.
    Yes, a REAL comic book fan is better than that.

A very interesting story.

I did not realize how the comic shops in the US are separated by a lot of distance and travel. I guess I am used to seeing areas with several shops within a short walking distance of each other.

If think the main mission of FCBD is to get more readers then hopefully it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post
    A very interesting story.

I did not realize how the comic shops in the US are separated by a lot of distance and travel. I guess I am used to seeing areas with several shops within a short walking distance of each other.
    Depends on where you live. When I used to live in Toronto, Canada, there were 4 comic book stores on the same block. A few more blocks away and there's a few more shops. I loved it as a kid going downtown, you could spend the whole day there, there were so many shops and every one was so different. I don't know how it is now.

Now that I don't live in Toronto anymore, some of the comic shops are a little more spaced out, about 10 min drive from each other. Luckily for me there's a comic shop just a 2 min walk from my condo. No need for me to make a trek.

Quote Originally Posted by Zainu View Post
    Comic book store owners hate the sunlight?

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    Depends on where you live. When I used to live in Toronto, Canada, there were 4 comic book stores on the same block. A few more blocks away and there's a few more shops. I loved it as a kid going downtown, you could spend the whole day there, there were so many shops and every one was so different. I don't know how it is now.

Now that I don't live in Toronto anymore, some of the comic shops are a little more spaced out, about 10 min drive from each other. Luckily for me there's a comic shop just a 2 min walk from my condo. No need for me to make a trek.
    But you are speaking of Canada not US.

I am curious if US comics are the ones sold in Toronto or any Canadian ones? It seems very popular from what you are speaking of.

In Tokyo there are some areas which are very high in comic shop content, like Akihabara, Nakano, Ikebukuro... maybe 8 shops in one block. Now that I don't live in Tokyo I think I would need to drive 30 minutes to get to the nearest shop.

Can't go wrong with Ed Brubaker Winter Soldier! Great pick.

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    Comic Fans should know never judge a book by its covers.
    What a slap in the face to great cover artists!

In the words of the great Candace: "That's why they're there. For you to judge them!"

Platypus to whomever gets that reference.