Page 687 of 687 FirstFirst ... 187587637677683684685686687
Results 10,291 to 10,294 of 10294

Quote Originally Posted by zevious zoquis View Post
    hmmm, not sure that's correct. The woven ribbon is just a little bit at each end of the paper strip and it comes off with the paper when it separates. Basically, once that happens there's nothing holding all them purdy pages together but a thin bit of thread. It feels sketchy at best. My copy of the Stand Omnibus is terrible in that way. I'm afraid to open it...
    I did a lot of research on this when I first started getting into these books because of prices for whales and whatnot coupled with a general love of books. Sometimes attached to the back of the signatures there will be muslin a cloth type webbing similar to a cheese cloth fabric imbedded in the glue. This could then be covered with a paper liner, or there may only be the paper liner acting as a backing. If the muslin is present it will be providing a good deal of the strength to hold the signatures together, whereas if it is only the paper then obviously that would provide the majority of the support. The woven ribbon is merely a decorative item and provides no structural support. The most visible way to see the support piece of material is looking at the end sheets that attach to the cover boards in near the spine you will see a lump that extends out an inch or so. That is the signature support material attached to the cover board and sandwiched between the end sheet and the cover board and keeps the page block attached to the cover boards. I wouldn't worry excessively about the structural integrity of the page block unless the backing support either paper or muslin is fully separating from the signatures over a few inches into the book across the entirety of the page block. At which point you can easily brush in some PVA glue to do repair work.

With all that said I totally agree that with the price of these books it should not be a concern at all, but with a little research, a couple of small paint brushes and a modicum of physical ability one can do some repairs to good as new if not better. I personally have done repairs to the extent of where two signatures in the middle of a book had started to separate and you could see the muslin in the crack, back to good as new. All that holds those signatures together is a strip of glue applied between the two sheets. If you notice even in a sewn book where to signatures join it never quite opens up as fully as the middle of a signature. There is a great informational thread buried somewhere on this board where Cerd the Nerd goes pretty in depth on this with pictures. I highly recommend also doing some googleing about book binding and construction it actually helped me to stop freaking about the possibility of these books falling apart once I understood better about the whole process and pieces.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Quote Originally Posted by dishpan View Post
    Anyone read this? I haven't but I gotta get it to go with my Fear Agent library editions that I loved!
    I have. I remember it being okay. Kinda like his take on the Justice League.

I'll be picking it up for completionist sake and pass the trades on to my friend.

My last few weeks of schtuff all in one pile...

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    I did a lot of research on this when I first started getting into these books because of prices for whales and whatnot coupled with a general love of books. Sometimes attached to the back of the signatures there will be muslin a cloth type webbing similar to a cheese cloth fabric imbedded in the glue. This could then be covered with a paper liner, or there may only be the paper liner acting as a backing. If the muslin is present it will be providing a good deal of the strength to hold the signatures together, whereas if it is only the paper then obviously that would provide the majority of the support. The woven ribbon is merely a decorative item and provides no structural support. The most visible way to see the support piece of material is looking at the end sheets that attach to the cover boards in near the spine you will see a lump that extends out an inch or so. That is the signature support material attached to the cover board and sandwiched between the end sheet and the cover board and keeps the page block attached to the cover boards. I wouldn't worry excessively about the structural integrity of the page block unless the backing support either paper or muslin is fully separating from the signatures over a few inches into the book across the entirety of the page block. At which point you can easily brush in some PVA glue to do repair work.

With all that said I totally agree that with the price of these books it should not be a concern at all, but with a little research, a couple of small paint brushes and a modicum of physical ability one can do some repairs to good as new if not better. I personally have done repairs to the extent of where two signatures in the middle of a book had started to separate and you could see the muslin in the crack, back to good as new. All that holds those signatures together is a strip of glue applied between the two sheets. If you notice even in a sewn book where to signatures join it never quite opens up as fully as the middle of a signature. There is a great informational thread buried somewhere on this board where Cerd the Nerd goes pretty in depth on this with pictures. I highly recommend also doing some googleing about book binding and construction it actually helped me to stop freaking about the possibility of these books falling apart once I understood better about the whole process and pieces.
    Yep, I remember Cerd's thread. Here it is...

http://community.comicbookresources....Marvel-Omnibus

Some good info and pics in there. Here's a couple shots of my USS Stevens.

First the bottom of the spine where the paper liner has separated...(actually, looking at the pic I see it isn't paper liner but rather fabric I guess). I don't know how visible the glue should be but it sure doesn't look like there was ever much there. No residue at all afaic see...

And the top of the spine where the liner has not (yet) separated...

This is really quite an issue with these big books. I think it's a combination of bad glue jobs and the size of the books as well as the thickness of the pages in some cases. My Hellboy LE vol 1 has completely separated. Of my Marvel Omnis, probably a quarter of them have some separation with The Stand being the worst. Kinda sucks, but it sounds like it's not a real difficult thing to repair. I just have to get around to doing it...
    Last edited by zevious zoquis; Today at 06:07 AM.