Page 139 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3989129135136137138139
Results 2,071 to 2,084 of 2084

Quote Originally Posted by Black Iron Tarkus View Post
    Haven't posted in a while, so here's about 2 1/2 weeks' haul:

Big thanks to LordJulius for recommending Showa; it's incredible. Blasted through vol.1, and vol.2 just arrived today. Also, looks like Zaya lives up to the hype!
    Showa caught my eye right away. Who publishes the title and is it available in the US? Guess I'll do a google search as well :P.

EDIT: Publisher is Drawn & Quarterly. Going in my backlog.
    Last edited by danmar85; 08-26-2014 at 11:44 AM.

Haven't posted in a while, so here's about 2 1/2 weeks' haul:

Big thanks to LordJulius for recommending Showa; it's incredible. Blasted through vol.1, and vol.2 just arrived today. Also, looks like Zaya lives up to the hype!
    That Zorro book is a tpb right? Seems quite big, like the Tintin and Panini Doctor Who paperbacks.
    Never read anything Toth but just googled his Zorro work and it looks really cool.
    Bit off topic: seriously considering trying out the Tintin books but I'm affraid it's too childish but I know lot of people love Tintin, not just kids.

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    Showa caught my eye right away. Who publishes the title and is it available in the US? Guess I'll do a google search as well :P.

EDIT: Publisher is Drawn & Quarterly. Going in my backlog.
    Yeah, D&Q have released a few Mizuki books over the last couple of years, translating his work into English for the first time. Showa is going to be five volumes in total, and vol.3 is out in November.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    That Zorro book is a tpb right? Seems quite big, like the Tintin and Panini Doctor Who paperbacks.
    Never read anything Toth but just googled his Zorro work and it looks really cool.
    Bit off topic: seriously considering trying out the Tintin books but I'm affraid it's too childish but I know lot of people love Tintin, not just kids.
    Yeah, it's a TPB published by Image back in 2001 (I think this copy has been sitting on a warehouse shelf since then; the discolouration on the spine is where the glue has soaked into the paper!). It's roughly US magazine size, i.e a bit taller and quote a lot wider than a regular comic:

(Haunted Horror is freaking awesome BTW)

Toth's Zorro work is excellent for the most part (there are some clearly rushed stories), but the writing leaves a lot to be desired. There's also a colour Hermes Press hardcover of this run, but I much prefer the grey toned version (as did Toth himself).
    Last edited by Black Iron Tarkus; 08-26-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Yeah, it's a TPB published by Image back in 2001 (I think this copy has been sitting on a warehouse shelf since then; the discolouration on the spine is where the glue has soaked into the paper!). It's roughly US magazine size, i.e a bit taller and quote a lot wider than a regular comic:

Toth's Zorro work is excellent for the most part (there are some clearly rushed stories), but the writing leaves a lot to be desired. There's also a colour Hermes Press hardcover of this run, but I much prefer the grey toned version (as did Toth himself).
    Thanks! As much as I love good looking artwork I like good stories too, but I will keep an eye on this book, maybe I can find one for cheap.

Thanks! As much as I love good looking artwork I like good stories too, but I will keep an eye on this book, maybe I can find one for cheap.
    Honestly, that's part of the trouble with Toth; as good as his artwork and storytelling was, too often he was drawing from a shitty script. Setting the Standard is a good selection of his work across different genres, but is very hit and miss in terms of writing (hope you like 1950's romance comics!). If you want a sample of great Toth art and stories, I'd go for Blazing Combat and Corpse on the Imjin. Each book features 3 Toth stories (along with a ton of other great artists: Joe Kubert, Joe Orlando, John Severin, Russ Heath etc.), written by Archie Goodwin and Harvey Kurtzman respectively.

This is another problem with Toth: he did a ton of work, but it's reprinted in bits and pieces all over the place. Maybe one day DC will release a Toth omnibus (Chiarello: get it done!), and then I'll be able to recommend an all-Toth book without qualifying it with "...but the writing's a bit crappy". The Genius books are excellent, but focus on the art rather than the stories. Vols. 1 & 2 reprint a lot of full stories, but also frustrating random pages.

Honestly, that's part of the trouble with Toth; as good as his artwork and storytelling was, too often he was drawing from a shitty script. Setting the Standard is a good selection of his work across different genres, but is very hit and miss in terms of writing (hope you like 1950's romance comics!). If you want a sample of great Toth art and stories, I'd go for Blazing Combat and Corpse on the Imjin. Each book features 3 Toth stories (along with a ton of other great artists: Joe Kubert, Joe Orlando, John Severin, Russ Heath etc.), written by Archie Goodwin and Harvey Kurtzman respectively.

This is another problem with Toth: he did a ton of work, but it's reprinted in bits and pieces all over the place. Maybe one day DC will release a Toth omnibus (Chiarello: get it done!), and then I'll be able to recommend an all-Toth book without qualifying it with "...but the writing's a bit crappy". The Genius books are excellent, but focus on the art rather than the stories. Vols. 1 & 2 reprint a lot of full stories, but also frustrating random pages.
    Thank you for the recommendations, I will check these books. Never read oldschool war comics but I think I should start with some Kubert.

Thank you for the recommendations, I will check these books. Never read oldschool war comics but I think I should start with some Kubert.
    You're welcome, and you can't go far wrong with Kubert's war comics. Enemy Ace is my personal favourite

I would't say childish at all, more all ages.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinNL View Post
    I would't say childish at all, more all ages.
    Great! I think I will try it with a cheaper paperback. Recently held a Panini DW comic in my hands, which is similarly oversized and I found the larger format appealing even in tpb form.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Thanks for the link! Not sure about the release dates, maybe it's different here in the US? I was scrolling through CGN's upcoming releases and it was slated for Oct. 21 or so.
    On the Charley's War front in France this fall, three dates to retain http://www.thearchdeviant.org/2014/0...ebrations.html

Got a new release date from Amazon for Blacksad Amarillo today, October 21st. Looking forward to it.

Don't know if it has been pinpointed yet but the TPB version of the Marshal Law deluxe edition is due to December http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-novels/marshal-law.
    It will be my 12th version of Fear and Loathing.

I'm disappointed by the new release date for Complete Eightball. January? Oh.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    Got a new release date from Amazon for Blacksad Amarillo today, October 21st. Looking forward to it.
    very much looking forward to this. i typically only order monthly comics from my LCS, but had to order this book too, as i need it ASAP!
    formerly 'weeks'