Page 68 of 82 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1226

'Nother update... really flying through these lol. Finish Director of SHIELD and LOVED it. It would be really cool to see this story adapted somehow in the MCU. Perhaps after Infinity War. Maybe Tony becomes director and retires as Iron Man (since RDJ is getting a little older now).

Okay last update and bump for a little while, I promise.

Finished the first two omnibus collections of Fractions run. I've read a lot of it but man.. it's so nice to go back and read again. Larocca absolutely knocks it out of the park every issue. Can't wait for volume 3.

Now on to the post-AvX stuff. I've heeded your warnings and I'm ready.. but I want to catch up on all things Tony.. so it must be done. About to start Gillen's run along with Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers.

I think the thing with Gillen's run - at least from my perspective - is that it's generally solidly written and the characters involved are handled well enough but you can kinda tell Gillen's heart isn't in it or that it's not his "niche."

And of course, there was that one plot twist..

Through Gillen's run. I agree, it was good characterization and a really good supporting cast. I didn't mind the big plot twist.. it's whatever. I loved how Gillen was so innovative with new types of suits. Love the stealth one. Honestly, my least favorite arc was the last one, The Rings of Mandarin. I thought bringing in Malekith was a cool idea, but I thought the arc as a whole would be more exciting.

Now on to the Original Sin mini series.

Okay so I'm starting the Civil War II event and tie-ins now.. I gotta be honest, I've enjoyed this whole first run on Iron Man of Bendis'. I think he writes a really good Tony Stark.. I'll go as far as to say probably the best written Tony since Fraction. Not saying as good.. but the best since. As everyone said, the first arc was phenomenal. But I really dug the War Machines arc as well. The conversations Tony has with Doom are incredibly fun to read. So much so that it's made me want to read Infamous Iron Man (even though I know Tony isn't in it.).

I'm trying to read CW2 in order.. so I've read #0, 1, and 2 of the main event series. Not happy about the death.. but Tony certainly has a right to be pissed off. Now moving to the next two issues of Invincible Iron Man.
    Last edited by cc008; 08-20-2017 at 06:19 AM.

Officially all caught up.

I figured since I enjoyed the first Iron Man volume of Bendis', I'd give RiRi a try. It's... not as good. To put politely. But since I've read it all now, I may as well stick it out, right?

-----------------

Iron Man in November 2017

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #594
    BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS (W) • STEFANO CASELLI (A)
    Cover by R.B. SILVA
    THE SEARCH FOR TONY STARK Part 2
    • THE SEARCH FOR TONY STARK continues, as some very surprising people from his present, past and future come together to help.
    • Who will wield the power of Iron Man?
    • It’s all building to one of the most-anticipated moments in Iron Man history!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN: IRONHEART VOL. 2 – CHOICES PREMIERE HC

Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
    Penciled by STEFANO CASELLI
    Cover by STEFANO CASELLI
    The whole world loves Riri Williams, A.K.A. Ironheart! Well, except for those who have a bone to pick with how she’s doing the job. And the deadly villain who’d like to take a piece out of her. Come to think of it, that’s a whole lot of people who aren’t that fond of her! What’s a girl to do? Striking out on her own, Riri has her idealism put to the test by a world she doesn’t yet understand. How far will she go to do what she knows is right? And how can she handle the biggest threat she’ll ever encounter: a headstrong Tony Stark A.I. that’s decided it knows what’s best for the world? Plus: An international incident sets the stage for one of the biggest Iron Man stories ever! Collecting INVINCIBLE IRON MAN (2016) #6-11.
    136 PGS./Rated T+ …$24.99
    ISBN: 978-1-302-90673-3
    Trim size: standard
    Last edited by cc008; 08-22-2017 at 10:27 AM.

Can Bendis just leave already? And take ALL of his shitty fan-fic with him? Also, spoilers for the Generations issue:

spoilers:

Generations: The Iron with Tony Stark and Riri Williams is one of the worst superhero comics Iíve ever read. It takes some of the most egregious Bendis writing habits and runs wild with them. 30 painful pages filled with mismatched art from three pencilers, four inkers, and three colorists. Itís so clear that this was a last-minute production with little to no editorial oversight ó no one at the wheel.

The other Generations issues have been uneven, but the basic idea of ďhero meets past version of same heroĒ creates a natural bond between them and a sense of nostalgia. But not this time. Even though the cover and pile of variants show classic Iron Man with Riri ó that never happens. Instead, Riri is flung into an alternate future where Tony Stark is a 126-year-old Sorcerer Supreme and heís surrounded by the children of famous Marvel heroes. Tony brags about how great the future is and Riri gets inspired to do stuff when she goes back.

Thatís it. Thatís the whole thing. 30 pages. Talky and preachy without going anywhere. Tony plays show and tell presenting the future and how innovative it is while Riri passively follows him around and does nothing. The children of Marvel characters are trotted out and they compliment Riri for things she hasnít done yet, puffing up her ego and giving her knowledge of the future she shouldnít have.

We never see any regular people in Tonyís future overlord world. They donít matter at all. Itís all superhero kids and alien buildings without any action or emotional stakes. The tiny whiff of a conflict shows up when Morgan LeFay appears but sheís dispatched on the next page by Tony with as much difficulty as making a piece of toast. Itís awful and utterly bewildering.

Making the thing worse are mindbusting panel layouts. Each penciler has some good work here and there, but none get to shine as they try to match Marco Rudyís trippy look. Itís clear he ran out of time and a brigade of other artists were called in to bale water and finish the book. Maybe the script was late, maybe the art dragged out but the result is painful. Riri does nothing other than arrive in the future because of the cosmic cube. Everyone talks at her and she stands or floats around. Crazy page layouts do not make it exciting, and at times make it hard to read or recognize where we are and what is happening.

Unfortunately, Generations: The Iron is a waste of time, talent, and money. Spend yours elsewhere.

end of spoilers

Source: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08...eart-1-review/

B R A V O M A R L E L
    R
    A
    V
    O
    M
    A
    R
    L
    E
    L

Saw that review. Definitely won't be purchasing.

#BringBackTony

Spectacular Member

I need to catch up but def #bringbacktony
    The most stupid idea ever was to kill war machine and have tony on coma

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Officially all caught up.

I figured since I enjoyed the first Iron Man volume of Bendis', I'd give RiRi a try. It's... not as good. To put politely. But since I've read it all now, I may as well stick it out, right?

-----------------

Iron Man in November 2017

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #594
    BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS (W) • STEFANO CASELLI (A)
    Cover by R.B. SILVA
    THE SEARCH FOR TONY STARK Part 2
    • THE SEARCH FOR TONY STARK continues, as some very surprising people from his present, past and future come together to help.
    • Who will wield the power of Iron Man?
    • It’s all building to one of the most-anticipated moments in Iron Man history!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN: IRONHEART VOL. 2 – CHOICES PREMIERE HC

Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
    Penciled by STEFANO CASELLI
    Cover by STEFANO CASELLI
    The whole world loves Riri Williams, A.K.A. Ironheart! Well, except for those who have a bone to pick with how she’s doing the job. And the deadly villain who’d like to take a piece out of her. Come to think of it, that’s a whole lot of people who aren’t that fond of her! What’s a girl to do? Striking out on her own, Riri has her idealism put to the test by a world she doesn’t yet understand. How far will she go to do what she knows is right? And how can she handle the biggest threat she’ll ever encounter: a headstrong Tony Stark A.I. that’s decided it knows what’s best for the world? Plus: An international incident sets the stage for one of the biggest Iron Man stories ever! Collecting INVINCIBLE IRON MAN (2016) #6-11.
    136 PGS./Rated T+ …$24.99
    ISBN: 978-1-302-90673-3
    Trim size: standard
    I'm guessing it's the Tony AI in the silhouetted armor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techno_Knight View Post
    Can Bendis just leave already? And take ALL of his shitty fan-fic with him? Also, spoilers for the Generations issue:

spoilers:

Generations: The Iron with Tony Stark and Riri Williams is one of the worst superhero comics I’ve ever read. It takes some of the most egregious Bendis writing habits and runs wild with them. 30 painful pages filled with mismatched art from three pencilers, four inkers, and three colorists. It’s so clear that this was a last-minute production with little to no editorial oversight — no one at the wheel.

The other Generations issues have been uneven, but the basic idea of “hero meets past version of same hero” creates a natural bond between them and a sense of nostalgia. But not this time. Even though the cover and pile of variants show classic Iron Man with Riri — that never happens. Instead, Riri is flung into an alternate future where Tony Stark is a 126-year-old Sorcerer Supreme and he’s surrounded by the children of famous Marvel heroes. Tony brags about how great the future is and Riri gets inspired to do stuff when she goes back.

That’s it. That’s the whole thing. 30 pages. Talky and preachy without going anywhere. Tony plays show and tell presenting the future and how innovative it is while Riri passively follows him around and does nothing. The children of Marvel characters are trotted out and they compliment Riri for things she hasn’t done yet, puffing up her ego and giving her knowledge of the future she shouldn’t have.

We never see any regular people in Tony’s future overlord world. They don’t matter at all. It’s all superhero kids and alien buildings without any action or emotional stakes. The tiny whiff of a conflict shows up when Morgan LeFay appears but she’s dispatched on the next page by Tony with as much difficulty as making a piece of toast. It’s awful and utterly bewildering.

Making the thing worse are mindbusting panel layouts. Each penciler has some good work here and there, but none get to shine as they try to match Marco Rudy’s trippy look. It’s clear he ran out of time and a brigade of other artists were called in to bale water and finish the book. Maybe the script was late, maybe the art dragged out but the result is painful. Riri does nothing other than arrive in the future because of the cosmic cube. Everyone talks at her and she stands or floats around. Crazy page layouts do not make it exciting, and at times make it hard to read or recognize where we are and what is happening.

Unfortunately, Generations: The Iron is a waste of time, talent, and money. Spend yours elsewhere.

end of spoilers

Source: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08...eart-1-review/

B R A V O M A R L E L
    R
    A
    V
    O
    M
    A
    R
    L
    E
    L
    Wow, I wasn't expecting much from this Generations issue, but this is more underwhelming then I could have imagined (and almost a testament to all of Bendis' issues on the book).

As bad as the idea is, I'm honestly rooting for AI Tony. He's the only reason I decided to read the current volume.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

They probably won't properly bring tony back until invincible iron man 600 which probably won't release until next may assuming it continues to release as just a monthly title.

But I agree with the fans who feel bendis should leave the title possibly around 600 I'm hoping he'll leave the series then or soon because the series needs a new writer desperately.

He mentioned on his tumblr that he still has plenty planned for Ironheart. Hopefully either on a team somewhere or in her own book, because Invincible Iron Man needs a new direction with a new writer and Tony at top billing in the book. If the end of the Legacy arc means Tony is back, next May is worth the wait.

iMan 42s

What the Hell kind of world do we live in that Bendis does well on Doctor Doom but can't make his own creation work?
    Bendis does well enough on a Doctor Doom book with a Victor that is making a genuine effort to be a good Iron man and hero. Victor has his ups and downs, and even struggles with being a hero considering his Infamous reputation. Victor can't really struggle with opponents considering how powerful he is, and so Bendis really shines when doing character stuff here as Victor becomes accustomed to the role, and it's getting cut short because he could only do a miniseries.

It's frustrating because NOTHING HAPPENS in Invincible Iron man when you really get down to it. Riri is told she is amazing and that's it. It's not the premise, it's not that we miss Tony (though we do). It's that Riri is the worst Iron man character because all she is at the end of the day is checklist of superhero tropes that is supposed to be amazing despite never earning it in story. We are just told to care and nothing established since makes me. I feel sympathy since tragic deaths and being too smart for your own good are real occurrences, but that can't be all there is. Things have to be done, heroes have to be tested, if not in combat then in the personal lives of them (which is something Bendis does well with Spider-man). Where is the danger if Riri will always win because she is special? We know they wont get rid of the title character for good, but there does need to be the threat of it. What Bendis does right in Infamous is that Victor has stakes in Iron man even if it is fairly simple, which makes it all the more frustrating when Bendis fails to deliver. He's capable, we know he can be a good if not incredible writer. But Riri Williams is only successful because Bendis says she is and that shouldn't be it. She has a great costume, but it's wasted on a half baked idea.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.