Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 13535960616263

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Pretty much. Marvel has no idea what direction to take Tony. He works best running his company with his past supporting cast. Facing villains like Stane, Masque, Sunset Banes, The Hammer Girls etc.
    Personally, I think Marvel just doesn't want to portray a character like Tony as the hero anymore. He's a Capitalist &a Conservative (or Libertarian). He's a womanizer. He's serious and sometimes cold. He's served as the US Secretary of Defense & as the Director of SHIELD. Look at what all other characters who share those characteristics have turned into. Maria Hill is constantly being used as the writer's "eeeeviiil" Army Brat, everyone associated with some US-Government Branch is always "getting in the way of the true heroes". And so on and so forth. Current Marvel has a clear disdain for certain character traits, and they'll either erase them (see how Tony has turned into a quipping dumbdumb in recent years) or just retire the character.

Hell, even when he comes back, his book will just be used by Bendis as a platform to shill Ree-Ree. We won't see a proper Iron Man run until he leaves the title and Marvel gets a Creative Team Reboot.

As for when he works best, I'd say every good IM needs three things:

1) Emphasis on the Industrialist aspect of Tony's life, alongside his right-wing leanings.

2) A tight-knit supporting cast & interesting villains.

3) More themes in the vain of transhumanism. Ellis started it with Extremis, and then they all followed it because it was the logical next-step, but they've just... stopped now.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    What's interesting to me post-Fraction was that we kept getting Evil Iron men or potential Evil Iron men.

-Gillen introduced 616 Arno Stark who is infamous for Iron man 2020, but he left the book before anything could be done with Arno.
    -Original Sin explored Tony being partially responsible for the Hulk (Tony has a minor hand in that though, like really minor).
    -New Avengers played with gray area morality and how far Tony and his allies should go to save the world.
    -Superior Iron man was from the lawful evil perspective and that played a role in New Avengers.
    -Bendis Iron man brought back a post-Secret War Doctor Doom which led into Infamous Iron man, a lawful neutral that had a history of villainy.

It's like they want Tony to be a good guy but want a villainous book so badly out of the franchise that they'll compromise Tony to make it happen.

Bendis wrapping up on Infamous is very disappointing to me since he does just fine on a Doctor Doom book, but I wish more of that writing could be applied to Riri since it's what feels like the weakest link in years. Honestly weaker than Iron Patriot AND the last Ultimate Iron man volume.
    The thing is, a good writer could make sense of all that mess and kinda work it out. Have Arno be the same time-travelling Arno from 2020, who came beack for... reasons. Either to mess with Tony or just ensure his timeline comes to pass. So the whole adoption thing becomes a ruse. Then, have the real Tony be lost in space during his time with the GotG, so when he comes back he's full of alien tech and new ideas. Have the current Tony be an Impostor, which leads in Ree-Ree getting BTFOed.

But alas, we are stuck with Bendis, so...

I could due with a decade or two of Tony just being a hero who doesn't get inverted into a villain, betrays and fights Steve for the umpteenth time, or gets involved in a Superhero Civil War again.

Tony has been leaning to the left for years now. His energy take, his cars that he made, not making weapons anymore. Tony stop leaning to the right a long time ago.
    "I was so busy staring into the face of the future, trying to absorb the big picture, that I forgot to watch my own back." TONY STARK

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Tony has been leaning to the left for years now. His energy take, his cars that he made, not making weapons anymore. Tony stop leaning to the right a long time ago.
    Well, I'd argue that caring for the environment doesn't mean you're not leaning right. It's not like Left = All the good and jolly things & Right = Smoke fumes and evil fat men in chairs with cigars in their mouths. You can be fincancially conservative and socially liberal, for example. And besides that, Tony being a right-wing hero was an interesting change of pace. And now they've taken that away too.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor_Von_Doom View Post
    Well, I'd argue that caring for the environment doesn't mean you're not leaning right. It's not like Left = All the good and jolly things & Right = Smoke fumes and evil fat men in chairs with cigars in their mouths. You can be fincancially conservative and socially liberal, for example. And besides that, Tony being a right-wing hero was an interesting change of pace. And now they've taken that away too.
    That changed along time ago. He tries to do things to the left.
    "I was so busy staring into the face of the future, trying to absorb the big picture, that I forgot to watch my own back." TONY STARK

That changed along time ago. He tries to do things to the left.
    Eh, I wouldn't say "a long time ago". 2008 at best. During the 2005 vol he was running around as Director of SHIELD. It's a relatively new development.

Eh, I wouldn't say "a long time ago". 2008 at best. During the 2005 vol he was running around as Director of SHIELD. It's a relatively new development.
    And were in 2017. So it's been a while.

And were in 2017. So it's been a while.
    Around 9 years or so, sure. It doesn't mean I have to like that direction (happy-go-lucky persona, giving aways his tech to randoms, all that). It's fresh enough that it can be reversed is what I'm saying. Just IMO.

Around 9 years or so, sure. It doesn't mean I have to like that direction (happy-go-lucky persona, giving aways his tech to randoms, all that). It's fresh enough that it can be reversed is what I'm saying. Just IMO.
    Did you like Fractions run?

Did you like Fractions run?
    Well enough. A nice character study, a somewhat new status quo, a likeable supporting cast, good action pieces, it had a bit of everything. Probably a bit less than the 2005 vol if we're comparing the newer ones, but I liked it, yeah.

i remember trying to make sense of the whole Teen Tony/Heroes Reborn/Heroes Return thing before that annual came out.