Page 2316 of 2324 FirstFirst ... 13161816221622662306231223132314231523162317231823192320 ... LastLast
Results 34,726 to 34,740 of 34846
  1. #34726
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,925

    Default

    Djimon Hounsou will be playing the Wizard Mamaragan in Shazam

    https://io9.gizmodo.com/dcs-shazam-e...479965#replies

  2. #34727
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Apparently, an episode of Pokemon is not going to air in the states due to Ash using black face to imitate a monkey.

    ooomf
    Hmm... That's not quite how that episode goes, though. As far as I know/recall, it's not black face.

    Too bad, as that was actually a nice Ash-centric Pokemon bonding episode, with a sports angle. Believe me, there were no ill connotations in that episode at all. Just wanted to point that out in the show's defense, since it can be easy to get swept up in things even like these, propaganda style.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    Static will be released in October and will be bi-monthly according to Kyle Baker.
    https://twitter.com/KyleJBaker/statu...382243840?s=09
    Do you have another link to this? This one's broken or something.

    Nice to hear a concrete date on the new Static series. I'm kinda hoping they'll borrow somewhat liberally from the cartoon show, specifically Hotstreak and especially Gear, even if the latter some time down the road, as I really enjoyed the concept of that character and felt he was cool.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 07-10-2018 at 11:19 PM.

  3. #34728
    Ultimate Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Hmm... That's not quite how that episode goes, though. As far as I know/recall, it's not black face.

    Too bad, as that was actually a nice Ash-centric Pokemon bonding episode, with a sports angle. Believe me, there were no ill connotations in that episode at all. Just wanted to point that out in the show's defense, since it can be easy to get swept up in things even like these, propaganda style.
    So "It's airing saw Ash use dark face paint in what looks like the blackface stereotype to imitate a -you guessed it- monkey." didn't happen?

    If so, cool, wonder why they banned it then.

    Is Ash still losing in the poke league every year lol?
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

    T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

  4. #34729
    Astonishing Member Overhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    So "It's airing saw Ash use dark face paint in what looks like the blackface stereotype to imitate a -you guessed it- monkey." didn't happen?

    If so, cool, wonder why they banned it then.

    Is Ash still losing in the poke league every year lol?
    The kalos (x and y) league was brutal, it was ash's super greninja vs some dude's charizard x. Ash lost and decided to go back to school. It would have been nice to see ash win one league and get a new protagonist, but nope, never happens.

  5. #34730
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,746

    Default

    Not sure if anyone else caught Ms. Marvel's debut on the Spiderman cartoon -- I like her attitude on the show and it makes me wonder if they're building up to slip her into the Captain Marvel film (and Miles into Spidey's next live film).


  6. #34731
    Dorky Person Charmed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    [font=georgia]I wouldn't waste time hoping. I have no doubts he was too physically dark complected for a CW lead period, they have a type and they have a base to play to and they do it. I guess, if anything- casting did inform him that was a main reason. Thanks Black Panther?
    When they branch away from their type we get a character like Curtis "Mr Terrific" Holt. Anissa is played by a dark skinned actress (at least in comparison to some of the other black actresses in the CW-verse) and though she's a partner/sidekick, she's not as incompetent in the field as Curtis was/kind of still is.

    "You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

    "Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

    "You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

  7. #34732
    Extraordinary Member Robotman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,394

    Default

    Ive noticed that Hispanic characters in comics are usually either adolescents males or female. Rarely will you find a adult male Hispanic character who isnt a gang member or migrant worker. I think Gangbuster is the only adult male Hispanic superhero to appear regularly in a comic. And that was in Byrne’s Superman comics. So it’s been a while.

  8. #34733
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Ive noticed that Hispanic characters in comics are usually either adolescents males or female. Rarely will you find a adult male Hispanic character who isnt a gang member or migrant worker. I think Gangbuster is the only adult male Hispanic superhero to appear regularly in a comic. And that was in Byrne’s Superman comics. So it’s been a while.
    Don't forget about Miguel O'Hara (Spiderman 2099) -- half-Irish, half Hispanic I believe.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_2099

    And Roberto Da Costa the former New Mutant is pretty much an adult now and a team leader to boot (last I checked) -- he's Afro-Brazilian.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunspot_(comics)

  9. #34734
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,356

    Default

    So Detective Comics is a good reminder that just because a writer is black, doesn't mean we'll get ample or good representation. I'm hoping off of the idea that bringing in black writers will automatically bring positive change in representation in comics. I guess this belief was kind of removed with Coates with how he treated black panther originally. I know a lot of people were unhappy with how Coates wrote black panther.

  10. #34735
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    So Detective Comics is a good reminder that just because a writer is black, doesn't mean we'll get ample or good representation. I'm hoping off of the idea that bringing in black writers will automatically bring positive change in representation in comics. I guess this belief was kind of removed with Coates with how he treated black panther originally. I know a lot of people were unhappy with how Coates wrote black panther.
    Unless you are a Storm fan. Who think she is the most hated character on the internet. I guess the SJW Marvel & Inhuman hate never happened.

  11. #34736
    New old guy Surf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    When they branch away from their type we get a character like Curtis "Mr Terrific" Holt.

    ...

    she's not as incompetent in the field as Curtis was/kind of still is.
    ^Exactly. Whatever play against CW type he might have in complexion, whatever the actors name that plays him, gives it all back and more being a general dingus. On top of that he's just a Felicity clone down to the glasses and misunderstood relationship. Not for nothin' he bout as far from cannon Holt as it could get personality wise. Fits just fine on the WB though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    Anissa is played by a dark skinned actress (at least in comparison to some of the other black actresses in the CW-verse) and though she's a partner/sidekick,
    Yea well the CW has never had a show with that many black principles, skin tones have to vary at some point. I can't give credit if it's part of the inherent nature of finding talent for the demographic of the project.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

  12. #34737
    New old guy Surf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Ive noticed that Hispanic characters in comics are usually either adolescents males or female. Rarely will you find a adult male Hispanic character who isnt a gang member or migrant worker. I think Gangbuster is the only adult male Hispanic superhero to appear regularly in a comic. And that was in Byrne’s Superman comics. So it’s been a while.
    Ha, damn- I kinda dug the Byrne Gangbuster back in the day, haven't thought about that odd looking gold shield in years.

    On T.V. over the years they've played cops a lot. You're not wrong though, I wrote a partial screenplay treatment starring Danny Trejo in a boardroom setting about 15 years ago when I still had dreams. I have some notions about the Latin American inclusion output of the big two over the decades. Marginalization aside, gotta keep in mind black people have been built this country on their backs going back 500 years. Leaving us out of things on a macro level was intentional and the push back caused fundamental changes to the country. Many people not from either coasts had no dealings with Hispanics until Dezi Arnez came across their televisions 60+ years ago. Post the influx isn't still not up to where you'd think but I hear you.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

  13. #34738
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    31,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Not sure if anyone else caught Ms. Marvel's debut on the Spiderman cartoon -- I like her attitude on the show and it makes me wonder if they're building up to slip her into the Captain Marvel film (and Miles into Spidey's next live film).

    I dunno, her personality felt kind of off in that episode. Like they doubled-down in making her serious and mission-oriented to contrast that with Spidey even though their personalities are generally pretty similar.

    She just seemed out-of-character for most of the episode.

    And I was really disappointed that we didn't get to see Kamala meet Miles in the episode, but this show never really does well by Miles.

  14. #34739
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I dunno, her personality felt kind of off in that episode. Like they doubled-down in making her serious and mission-oriented to contrast that with Spidey even though their personalities are generally pretty similar.

    She just seemed out-of-character for most of the episode.
    She was on one of her first solo missions for the Avengers and I've always seen Kamala as a lot more like Carol than she let's on -- outspoken and headstrong with a tendency to think they can handle things on their own... until they finally realize they need help.

    Probably has to do with having such a solid powerset -- Clark's about the only one who I know whose ego is almost completely counter to his abilities.

    Anyway, it worked for me -- throwing in Miles might have been too much right now. Let them build slowly -- they've still got Anya and Gwen to develop.

  15. #34740
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    31,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    She was on one of her first solo missions for the Avengers and I've always seen Kamala as a lot more like Carol than she let's on -- outspoken and headstrong with a tendency to think they can handle things on their own... until they finally realize they need help.
    I don't disagree, but I felt they could've done a better job of portraying her natural personality then they did in that episode.
    Anyway, it worked for me -- throwing in Miles might have been too much right now. Let them build slowly -- they've still got Anya and Gwen to develop.
    I mean, they've already kind of "thrown in" Miles by introducing him and giving him powers as early as they did. Now they barely do anything with him and won't let him team-up with the Ms. Marvel he's actually connected to.

    I'm interested to see how they handle the female Spiders given they generally don't seem to have any idea what to do with Miles most of the time. I'm not sure if they'll be able to juggle screentime and development for four Spider-Characters.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •