Page 2227 of 2306 FirstFirst ... 1227172721272177221722232224222522262227222822292230223122372277 ... LastLast
Results 33,391 to 33,405 of 34576
  1. #33391
    Genesis of A Nemesis Things Fall Apart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Jessica Jones Has a Problem with How It Handles Race and Gender When Superpowers Are in the Mix
    by Princess Weekes

    https://www.themarysue.com/jessica-j...r-superpowers/
    That article is on point.
    Pull List:

    Marvel Comics: Black Panther, Rise of the Black Panther, Fantastic Four, Captain America, Avengers, Marvel 2-in-1, Immortal Hulk
    DC Comics: Man of Steel, Action Comics, Superman

    Xbox Live Gamertag:

    ItsMckinnis

  2. #33392
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    4,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Jessica Jones Has a Problem with How It Handles Race and Gender When Superpowers Are in the Mix
    by Princess Weekes

    https://www.themarysue.com/jessica-j...r-superpowers/
    As certain groups like to compare Jessica Jones with Supergirl, and Supergirl is viewed less favorably I have to say at least Supergirl treats POC with more dignity and respect.

  3. #33393
    Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Does this have season 2 stuff in it?
    Yes, the article is about season 2. Without giving away any spoilers it has to do with equating prejudice against real-life minorities with prejudice against fictitious super-powered minorities.

    I'm a fan of the show overall but it does have a problem with portraying POC characters. It's also worth noting that Jessica Jones is still the only part of the MCU that consistently includes LGBT people, (although there is also Karolina Dean on Runaways, but I don't know if that counts as a part of the MCU.) but with that being said I want the show to get better at how it portrays LGBT people too.
    Last edited by MasterOfMagnetism; 03-13-2018 at 11:21 AM.

  4. #33394
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    As certain groups like to compare Jessica Jones with Supergirl, and Supergirl is viewed less favorably I have to say at least Supergirl treats POC with more dignity and respect.
    Agreed, my only criticism with Supergirl really is how they handle the James and Supergirl relationship, you can't really put the two together when it comes to minority treatment. Jessica Jones definitely have some issues, Supergirl, eh not as much.

  5. #33395
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Agreed, my only criticism with Supergirl really is how they handle the James and Supergirl relationship, you can't really put the two together when it comes to minority treatment. Jessica Jones definitely have some issues, Supergirl, eh not as much.
    I don't really think Supergirl has a minority problem as much as it has a Jimmy Olsen problem.

    He's a character without a role to play on the series. Winn Schott does most of the
    traditional sidekick stuff. So they give Jimmy a romance with Supergirl so there's a point to him being there.

    Then when that didn't work, they made him into a another costumed hero in a show where Super Girl and Martian Manhunter are regular characters.

  6. #33396
    MYTH SMITH ∞ !!! G. Boney's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/973514059005005824

    I can't say I'm surprised about how people are reacting to this, but it does serve as further proof that the bigoted 'fans' on the Marvel side of things don't actually care about hero replacements or how good a book is, just that they hate any character that isn't a straight, white Cis-guy or a sexily drawn woman.

    That said, I'm still waiting for a non-binary character from DC that isn't either support or an anti-villain, but an actual hero.
    I don't see how that particular link points at marvel fans specifically. Seems to be bigoted dc fans in that case.
    All Lives Matter is right up there with Let Them Eat Cake. --Samax Amen

    https://www.facebook.com/MythworldeMedia

  7. #33397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    That article is on point.
    Heh, Luke Cage went to jail for a year at the end of his season and he didn't pull half the shit that Jessica did in season 2. Seems almost meta in hindsight.
    By nature, the Devil was a kindly figure whom most people liked.
    He kept his promises when he could and always apologized when he couldn't.
    When he said he'd give it his all, he always did. More people should be like him.
    His is a uniquely American tale. Also, after you die, he will do such things to you in the dark.
    Ignore that last part.

  8. #33398
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I don't really think Supergirl has a minority problem as much as it has a Jimmy Olsen problem.

    He's a character without a role to play on the series. Winn Schott does most of the
    traditional sidekick stuff. So they give Jimmy a romance with Supergirl so there's a point to him being there.

    Then when that didn't work, they made him into a another costumed hero in a show where Super Girl and Martian Manhunter are regular characters.
    Well the minority problem is associated of course with a black male being paired with a white lead character, which of course is a major no no in television.

    With that said, he doesn't really need to be the tech guy or sidekick guy per say. There's nothing wrong with Jimmy's character essentially being the romantic partner as long as he's 3-dimensional and has his own things going as well. Him being a male lois lane per say is perfectly fine, it's when they took that away when it became a problem. Because now he's just there.

  9. #33399
    Looney Toon Carabas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    17,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    Yes, the article is about season 2.
    Thank you. I'll save it for later then.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

  10. #33400
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    11,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    Without giving away any spoilers it has to do with equating prejudice against real-life minorities with prejudice against fictitious super-powered minorities.
    Not looking at the article since I haven't watched season 2 yet, but isn't that what the X-Men have been doing since the 70's?

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    (although there is also Karolina Dean on Runaways, but I don't know if that counts as a part of the MCU.)
    Nico as well, although it isn't clear where this version of the character lands on the sexuality spectrum. And while it is completely disconnected, far as we know, it IS part of the MCU.

    Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    I don't see how that particular link points at marvel fans specifically. Seems to be bigoted dc fans in that case.
    It's the same kind of people with the same BS and the same buzzwords.

  11. #33401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Not looking at the article since I haven't watched season 2 yet, but isn't that what the X-Men have been doing since the 70's?
    Yah. That's primarily why the X-Men suck. Speaking as a person of color, I'd rather be in Necron's Black Lantern corp, than any X-team. You'd get treated better.
    By nature, the Devil was a kindly figure whom most people liked.
    He kept his promises when he could and always apologized when he couldn't.
    When he said he'd give it his all, he always did. More people should be like him.
    His is a uniquely American tale. Also, after you die, he will do such things to you in the dark.
    Ignore that last part.

  12. #33402
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Yah. That's primarily why the X-Men suck. Speaking as a person of color, I'd rather be in Necron's Black Lantern corp, than any X-team. You'd get treated better.


    It will probably be the creative folks at the MCU that make the X-Men cool again (provided the Fox deal goes through).

  13. #33403
    Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Not looking at the article since I haven't watched season 2 yet, but isn't that what the X-Men have been doing since the 70's?
    The article specifically starts talking about the X-Men and the infamous scenes with Kitty Pryde.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    It will probably be the creative folks at the MCU that make the X-Men cool again (provided the Fox deal goes through).
    Yeah, I used to like the X-Men movies but I've become completely bored and uninterested in the series. Disney/Marvel might make some good X-Men movies if/when they get the rights but at this point having openly gay characters is the only thing that would make me get hyped for an X-Men movie.

  14. #33404
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    11,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Yah. That's primarily why the X-Men suck. Speaking as a person of color, I'd rather be in Necron's Black Lantern corp, than any X-team. You'd get treated better.
    Really, the comparison never made sense to begin with. You can't compare people of color, or in the case of the Bryan Singer films LGBT people, to people who can wipe out entire cities or in a few cases, all of humanity. Nor did it ever really make sense that this prejudice would exist in the Marvel universe.
    Last edited by Assam; 03-13-2018 at 01:26 PM.

  15. #33405
    Genesis of A Nemesis Things Fall Apart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Really, the comparison never made sense to begin with. You can't compare people of color, or in the case of the Bryan Singer films LGBT people, to people who can wipe out entire cities or in a few cases, all of humanity. Nor did it ever really make sense that this prejudice would make sense in the Marvel universe.
    Especially since we KNOW metas in the MU were able to operate relatively freely (see Invaders, Marvels Project, Mystery Men, The Twelve) with notable exceptions for people like Isiah Bradley and Blue Marvel.

    It wasn't their powers that were the issue.
    Pull List:

    Marvel Comics: Black Panther, Rise of the Black Panther, Fantastic Four, Captain America, Avengers, Marvel 2-in-1, Immortal Hulk
    DC Comics: Man of Steel, Action Comics, Superman

    Xbox Live Gamertag:

    ItsMckinnis

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •