Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Speaking of that...anyone thought that, since this is Star Wars and the new movies are heavily borrowing from the original trilogy, maybe Finn needs a new little love interest, because Rey might end up being his cousin or something? I don't really think that (because Rey and Finn are cute together) but it is possible, because...Star Wars...
    Maybe the reason Han and Leia broke up is because she got pregnant with twins (Finn and Rey)...and Lando is the father.

Seriously is there any word on Billy Dee Williams showing up?

EDIT: Drat, Google searches say Williams himself have said he's not showing up for Ep 8. Maybe Ep 9? *fingers crossed*
    Last edited by Nate Grey; 04-20-2017 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    I was noticing that as well, while I don't like the digs that DC were doing to Marvel just because Marvel is currently beating the pants off of DC when it comes to diversity in comics, seems like a napoleon complex to me, I'm curious to see how these characters are. So I'll pick it up. Though with DC's fanbase I'm not expecting them to go far at all. People already talking about "why are these new characters getting a push, where's are JSA", *facepalm*
    What digs at Marvel? Honest question did I miss something?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moose100 View Post
    Im pretty much new to reading DC but JSA or Legion could come in another wave. It seems to me that DC is beating Marvel in terms of quality atm.
    DC beating Marvel in quality?! Haha, nope, DC is beating marvel in making it's product more align with classic readers, no doubt about that. But in terms of actual quality that's a whole another story and taste differ depending upon the person of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It's been about mostly Star Wars for a few pages now.
    Star Wars and Black Men in relationships within the media has been the primary two topics, with other sprinkles of different conversations mixing in.

We don't actually know all that much about The Last Jedi, and as we have seen in the past, what they do show can't at all be relied upon to be an accurate depiction of what will be in the actual film.
    A plot twist change is a much different beast to hide then the entire portrayal of the film. So unless they go with the highly unlikely fashion of super plot twist at the end, they meet up and romantic connection ensues, I'm going to stick with my first idea that they will barely, if at all, interact with each other this film.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What digs at Marvel? Honest question did I miss something?
    Oh specifically DC's dig towards Marvel's handling of diversity.

Of course, any new comic launch today faces not only an expectation that the genre ideas in play will be different, but that the content on the page will represent a more diverse world and readership. The DC creators spoke to the idea of diversity in the line, but many of them stressed the idea that more diverse characters would come not from a mandate but from the organic process of artists making stories in the 21st century.

DiDio in particular drew a line between the recent Rebirth launch and Dark Matter saying, “Rebirth was satisfying the old fanbase. Dark Matter is about building new fans.” He felt that readers would be more interested in getting on board with these characters than previous attempts at recasting DC icons with new identities because there would be “no preconceived notions.”

Romita backed this claim up, noting that the new hero Silencer he’s creating with writer Dan Abnett is a female assassin, but that “I don’t think of it as a diversity item. I think of it as a new character.” The artist said that if a story like this would be attempted with, say, Marvel recreating the Punisher as Francine Castle, he’d understand how readers would question the integrity of the story. But when artists start with the goal of making something totally new, there were no restrictions or second guessing, adding that with original characters as the focus, “There have been great female characters and great characters of color over the year
    Because it's oh so smart to attack the publisher that puts you to shame comic book wise when it comes to comic book diversity. It's going to be even more funny when their characters crash and burn in sales to further prove how Marvel handled diversity was essentially the closest way to guarantee success. (DC can look within their own section at that, seeing as their only successful minority book is green lantern)

Mighty Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Also does a short contextless cameo of a character that is Gay in the comic even count?

Like, if in the movie they inexplicably cut to a scene of Living Lightning sitting on a park bench somewhere drinking Mountain Dew, would that count as representation?
    That's a good question. Some people would consider that representation but a lot wouldn't.

And a guy in the LGBT Characters thread has said that he was at the GotG 2 premiere and he doesn't remember seeing any gay characters in it.

Genesis of A Nemesis Things Fall Apart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    The only way for Finn to have his own arc is if he stars in a spin-off film, because I highly doubt that'll ever happen in the film's trilogy. The only way it seems for Finn to have a "satisfactory" role is if he pairs with the main character.
    Rey is the main character.

My point is that, like Luke, this is her story of becoming a Jedi. Both Han and Leia were supporting characters and they had substantial character development. You guys are acting like you've never seen Star Wars before. Finn's story will progress just fine without having to be tied to Rey's hip. In fact his long term prospects in other media actually improves the less he's shackled to Rey's Jedi story.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Black Panther, Captain America, Falcon, Tales of Suspense, Avengers
    DC Comics: Challengers of the Unknown, The Terrifics, Justice League

PSN Gamertag:

CR1MS0N_DYNAM0

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Speaking of that...anyone thought that, since this is Star Wars and the new movies are heavily borrowing from the original trilogy, maybe Finn needs a new little love interest, because Rey might end up being his cousin or something? I don't really think that (because Rey and Finn are cute together) but it is possible, because...Star Wars...
    Seems to me like Finn will probably end up with this new Rose character.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Black Panther, Captain America, Falcon, Tales of Suspense, Avengers

PSN Gamertag:

CR1MS0N_DYNAM0

D
    A plot twist change is a much different beast to hide then the entire portrayal of the film. So unless they go with the highly unlikely fashion of super plot twist at the end, they meet up and romantic connection ensues, I'm going to stick with my first idea that they will barely, if at all, interact with each other this film.
    In other words, it will be just like Empire Strikes Back, where Luke is separated from his friend nearly the entire movie.
    Pull List:

PSN Gamertag:

CR1MS0N_DYNAM0

Firm Militant Judgement.. Moose100's Avatar

DC beating Marvel in quality?! Haha, nope, DC is beating marvel in making it's product more align with classic readers, no doubt about that. But in terms of actual quality that's a whole another story and taste differ depending upon the person of course.

Star Wars and Black Men in relationships within the media has been the primary two topics, with other sprinkles of different conversations mixing in.

I'm liking them way more than Marvel atm.
    U just mad cuz I'm stylin' on ya'
    Militant Anti-Villain
    I'm out here looking for revenge!!
    Spit Dat Kurt Vonnegut...
    The Ghost Militant...
    Black Panther on one shoulder Nighthawk on the other!!!
    Cognitive Dissonance Disseminator

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate it. I've got a job, a nice car to drive, maybe I'll get Tron 3 after all.

All I want for Finn is for him to get a big hero moment, that's what bothered me so much about his portrayal in TFA. He drives the entire plot of the movie, but he doesn't get to really shine. Beating that trooper with the light saber (which he had no business using in the first place, come on, play up his marksmanship skills.) Maybe that's why the first order was so mad at him for leaving, they lost the only stormtrooper who knew how to aim. Or fighting captain phasma (who was also wasted in the movie.)

Astonishing Member

Oh specifically DC's dig towards Marvel's handling of diversity.

Because it's oh so smart to attack the publisher that puts you to shame comic book wise when it comes to comic book diversity. It's going to be even more funny when their characters crash and burn in sales to further prove how Marvel handled diversity was essentially the closest way to guarantee success. (DC can look within their own section at that, seeing as their only successful minority book is green lantern)
    Give the fans a say and they will prefer the classic version to their favorite characters every time. The main difference between DC and Marvel is that Marvel cranks out 4.99 books with diverse characters and Rebirth is classic character sold at a discount.

Of course the fans are happier with DC. Its cheaper and they get to still read their favorite character too.

Bur nobody brings up the pricing difference because Marvel's not lowering their prices ever and the retailers were mad when DC did it.

So we get this discussion over sales that ignores the price of all this stuff for some reason.

Maybe Marvel's books would do better if they weren't a dollar more than DC's and you didn't have to buy around 10 books a month to keep up with stuff like Civil Was or Secret Empire.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Is that before or after black women claim it's being used to destroy them? Or proof that dating white girl is bad for black men like they did with Get Out.
    As opposed to some of the Black men online who complained about shows like Scandal and went on rants about bedwenching and sellouts? Or films like Jungle Fever where there's a militant Black woman who is of course angry about the lead and his Latina girlfriend and harasses them about it? In reality I don't think Black people of either gender care much about whose dating who.

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Seems to me like Finn will probably end up with this new Rose character.
    That's the rumor. Another rumor is spoilers:
    Rose may be spy for the First Order
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    As opposed to some of the Black men online who complained about shows like Scandal and went on rants about bedwenching and sellouts? Or films like Jungle Fever where there's a militant Black woman who is of course angry about the lead and his Latina girlfriend and harasses them about it? In reality I don't think Black people of either gender care much about whose dating who.
    Italian.
    All Lives Matter is right up there with Let Them Eat Cake. --Samax Amen

https://www.facebook.com/MythworldeMedia

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    In other words, it will be just like Empire Strikes Back, where Luke is separated from his friend nearly the entire movie.
    Except he was with his friends during the Empire base takeover, it wasn't until after they escape that they went their separate ways, and still rejoin at the end of the film. So they still had great interaction with his crew before going their separate ways. From what I've read and from what's seen in trailer, there's almost no interaction between Rey and Finn.

Now just to clarify, I'm not saying Finn needs to be joined to Rey's hip to become his own character, that defeats the purpose of him being his own character. But I am saying that Rey's/Finn relationship was one of the best part of the movies. Having a great relationship doesn't mean one is essentially secondary without the other, and if that happens, that's more on poor writing then them being paired.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Give the fans a say and they will prefer the classic version to their favorite characters every time. The main difference between DC and Marvel is that Marvel cranks out 4.99 books with diverse characters and Rebirth is classic character sold at a discount.

Of course the fans are happier with DC. Its cheaper and they get to still read their favorite character too.

Bur nobody brings up the pricing difference because Marvel's not lowering their prices ever and the retailers were mad when DC did it.

So we get this discussion over sales that ignores the price of all this stuff for some reason.

Maybe Marvel's books would do better if they weren't a dollar more than DC's and you didn't have to buy around 10 books a month to keep up with stuff like Civil Was or Secret Empire.

Exactly, and that's why this whole "use new characters" is completely bogus from a classic reader perspective. Most of them know full well they won't support it. They say that so their characters remain in prime nostalgic state with no infiltration of the "dirty diversity" take over. DC and Marvel has tried numerous times to create brand new characters and all of them fall hard. Marvel took the hint when Miles Morales came out, in order to diversity to succeed in this market until even more diverse readers come in, legacy characters are essentially the only characters that sell. But of course the classic readers won't put their money where their mouth is to prove otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Eh, I wouldn't say that. There's definitely some outright attacks and bigotry seen when a BM/BW is in an interracial relationships. I can personally attest to that, my last girlfriend was chinese, and we were at a burger place called burger lounge. When I went to the restroom, she said she could hear this group of black ladies saying "Oh they're going after Asian girls now." And then said some other things that weren't as...pleasant. Of course, it wasn't just black ladies though. We also went to a chinese dumpling specific restaurant, and I was the only foreigner there, let alone black. Safe to say not only did we get all types of stares, but my ex girlfriend got really upset because one of the older ladies next to us talked trash in mandarin about us. And this is in San Diego California. By far the worst treatment I had was with I was with my german girlfriend who was blond and blue eyes. It was bad. Strangely I didn't get it as much in LA as I did in San Diego though.

In any case, you only need to go to a black dude dating a white girl on youtube to see there's definitely tons of issues from both black and white people still having problems with IR couples.