Page 226 of 226 FirstFirst ... 126176216222223224225226
Results 3,376 to 3,389 of 3389

Not quite done yet, but what the hell: http://myth-smith.com/
    Last edited by G. Boney; Yesterday at 03:51 PM.
    Moving to Dakota to avoid superheroes is like moving to Quantico to avoid the FBI. -- Dwayne McDuffie

http://myth-smith.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    Formerly finfangfool
    Thanks for the headsup.
    Enjoying the camraderie of friends and family is all that matters in the world.

Mr MajestiK took a short hiatus and the Chaos Bringer was reborn.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Not quite done yet, but what the hell: http://myth-smith.com/

That looks absolutely on point my bro.

Can't wait to get my hand on the first issue.
    Enjoying the camraderie of friends and family is all that matters in the world.

Mr MajestiK took a short hiatus and the Chaos Bringer was reborn.

Thanks, Maj
    Moving to Dakota to avoid superheroes is like moving to Quantico to avoid the FBI. -- Dwayne McDuffie

http://myth-smith.com/

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Not really, or a half-hearted one at best. I mean, it's clear that Geoff Johns has interest in the character, but I don't see that interest translating to much. I suspect it's a case where Johns has some plans, and being in a position of authority, he's able to set them to accomodate his schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    Its a push but not really a great push.He appears in the Justice League but doesn't really do much but he has gotten more appearances in animated movies because of it and also the Batman Vs Superman movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    Hell to the naw

Half hearted or lip service is what you can call it as all it was is "look we got Cyborg as a founding member of the Justice League, we diverse as a mutha up in here".

I remember when it was announced and we entered the glorious age of how "green skin aliens are part of diversity" and "Cyborg took Martian Manhunter's spot = hate & scorn"
    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It screams-look we are diverse in appearance only

Look he got toys

Look he got DVDs

Look he appears on SOME of our merchandise

Look he's on the flagship book

Which is fine. Now where is the content?

For those who read Justice League-what are his character development moments? That is his issue. DEVELOPMENT.

Name me some can't miss stories with him in the crappy 52?

Where else has he appeared in WITHOUT the league or in league books?

Cyborg's issue is he's in stuff but rarely got to DO stuff on his own.

Harley Quinn is the best example.

She's done all of the above HOWEVER we saw solo series and even a team up with Ivy. 2 solo series as well.

For Cyborg to work-I would have done backups in Justice League. I would have used Dc Universe for a Cyborg mini. The mini would have been about him finding ways to look normal (Smallville version). I wouldn't go with Cyborg chilling with the Metal Men. I would have gone with him hanging out with Jaime, Static, Ronnie/Jason & Shazam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    No.

Even Vibe got a solo book, as ludicrous as an idea that was.

Cyborg who even his biggest detractors must admit is a bigger deal that Vibe ever was, didn't even get that.

While Cyborg has appeared in all the recent DC Justice League cartoons and Video Games like Injustice, all it really
    amounts to is that Cyborg is the Justice League "Black guy" mainly there to be black.

He has no relationships of note with his other team members in any version of the material.
    Not the cartoons, not the games and not the comics. Unless being constantly told what to
    by Batman counts as a relationship.

Contrast this with Green Lantern, who in nearly every version of the Justice League is bros
    with Flash giving him something to do.

Even Green Arrow's partnerships with Arsenal and Black Canary got to make in to the TV show.

Cyborg only gets to have friends or character development in the Teen Titans show.
    So then why the hell does everyone like to point to Cyborg as the "correct" way to push a minority character?

http://community.comicbookresources....ice-quot-Panel

Quote Originally Posted by The S0/\/\@7ic Si/\/\[]Dl370n View Post
    So then why the hell does everyone like to point to Cyborg as the "correct" way to push a minority character?

Because to some people that is the correct way to push minorities. They're present but don't do much to draw attention to themselves. Seen but rarely heard.

it's not just Cyborg either, we see it often where people will exaggerate the role of a minority in some form of media just to silence people asking for more inclusion.

Remember the way people tried to hype up Darwin's death in First Class being some pivotal moment in the film. He was barely in that movie and was quickly forgotten after his death. When that was pointed out then they'd say "I'm sure Darwin will be back in the next film"....

Because Cyborg represents the diversity that many WANT a minority to have.

Limited development like everyone has mentioned.

Limited interaction with the rest of the DC Universe.

As long as he is LIMITED-everyone is fine with him.

See folks don't mind diversity as long as it's LIMITED and doesn't detract from who they like.

So they don't mind the once every 2 year spotlight issue on the minority because everyone else will take the limelight.

Vibe got more development in 10 issues of his book than Cyborg in 34 years & 7 different series, 4 cartoon shows & 4 dvd movies.

Static in 45 issues of a 20 year old comic and 52 episodes of a 10 year show has more development.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    Because to some people that is the correct way to push minorities. They're present but don't do much to draw attention to themselves. Seen but rarely heard.

it's not just Cyborg either, we see it often where people will exaggerate the role of a minority in some form of media just to silence people asking for more inclusion.
    Or the minority gets attention as the fall guy for every wrong thing. See Dixon on 90210. Aids, STDs, drugs, drinking, gambling addiction, sex tapes, online sex tapes, near death experiences, dating older women and parent issues-Dixon had it all.

They don't know how to push Cyborg so the "powers that be" just don't want his book to crash and burn like every other "under 50+ year old non Batman/Superman" character DC tries to push in a solo.

Cyborg's gotten development in the past with the Teen Titans and the original Teen Titans cartoon, but we've got a new universe in the comics and those continuities no longer apply.

Technically speaking he's gotten development in the Justice League book but its taken about 30 issues when it could have taken 3 or 4. He actually does get a legit story arc in Justice League #27-29 and its handled well (if u ignore the prior set up of how his body was eviscerated in Forever Evil). Than you've got his new origin which was relatively simplistic, and a little rushed imo, at the core of the new Justice League Origin.

No one knows for sure what the hold up is except for the people at DC, but I believe either Johns is waiting to handle the solo himself but they don't think Cyborg is popular enough for a successful book. Or DC Just knows deep down they'll mess it up just like they do with all the under 50+ characters not tide to Batman or Superman. So they'll just keep the status quo till something changes either the live action movie or something else.

As for Cyborg in the Justice League he isn't written much differently from the other characters. If you don't like Johns writing on the title thats a different story, but he's not written vastly differently than the others. Problem is DC wiped all of Cyborg's prior history and connections so he's an entirely new character in the universe. All the other Justice League have other books and adventures for the reader to draw on. With Cyborg we only have the obvious. The complications with his physical appearance. and his father issues. Johns does a decent job defining his powers and limitations but not much else outside of his one solo arc (that he shares with the Justice League). New 52's been around for over 2 years and Cyborgs really only gotten 2 issues of solo focus (JL #28 was more about the Metal Men so I'm not counting it)

Sure Cyborg pops up in other stories now and than, but its just to help Superman or Batman out with some tech or in a Justice League fight. Or my new favorite to have Batman hack him and totally own him. It's happened two or three times now and I'm putting DC on notice
    Last edited by Jabare; Yesterday at 10:08 PM.
    The J-man

Precisely because it is limited and inefficient.

In the Justice League book, Cyborg doesn't actually take page time away from any of the old guard's favorites in the Justice League.

Nor does he have a book that competes with the stuff that the old guard likes.

If he had a book, there would be complaints about why him and not Booster Gold, Hawkman or
    any random 50 year old White character in the DC line up

QUESTION: which minorities do you think Marvel (or DC) have given a real push to in recent years?

For my money, I'd say Storm, T'Challa, Luke Cage and Carol Danvers have all had proper pushes, in major comics. Not just a one time attempt, but continued support, all in leadership roles, all go from one event to another (by which I mean a solo comic into a team, maybe a mini, then leading a team, etc). I don't know DC, so I can't comment on Cyborg; but I think those four are definitely examples where Marvel have stuck behind them (and continue to stick behind them).
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; Today at 02:16 AM.

This story is probably a dime a dozen and pretty disgusting, but then it gets good right at the end:

A North Side business owner slapped a 79-year-old Cook County judge in the face, spit on her and called her “Rosa Parks” after becoming angry that she was smoking near him outside the Daley Center, authorities said.

Monday's attack outside the courthouse came as a shock to friends of Judge Arnette Hubbard, a silver-haired African-American jurist who was the first female president of the National Bar Association and Cook County Bar Association, both black lawyers’ groups.

“She’s an icon in our community,” said Delores Robinson, past president of the Cook County Bar Association, who noted that Hubbard, a former commissioner on the Cook County Board of Elections, had been an international election observer in Haiti and South Africa and had long been a voice on civil rights and women’s issues.

Cook County prosecutors said Tuesday that Hubbard was outside the Daley Center smoking a cigarette when she walked past David C. Nicosia, 55, who became angry that she was smoking near him.

The two argued and Nicosia, who is white, stepped near her face and said, “Rosa Parks, move,” and spit in her face, prosecutors said. As he walked away, the Law Division judge followed him and called out for assistance.

Nicosia then turned and allegedly slapped the judge on the left side of her face with an open hand, prosecutors said. He was then arrested by sheriff’s deputies and charged with four counts of aggravated battery and a hate crime.
    Now wait for it:

Judge James Brown ordered him held on $90,000 bail Tuesday.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,5771071.story

Here come the judge!

DC and Marvel's pushes in recent years? Just in comics or multi media in general.

Marvel has stronger examples in recent years on the comic pages. Marvel's been consistent with Black Panther for a long time with his presence in the comics. He doesn't really get much of a push compared to other properties in other multi-media. He appeared in one Avengers cartoon and has had guest appearances in a Fantastic Four and ironman cartoon. He's also had some videogame appearances along with a lot of other characters. But I wouldn't say Black Panthers gotten much of a push outside of the comic pages. If he ever makes a theatrical appearance that may change, but his presence has been more consistent. He gets his good showings as he's handled by different author's. But I wouldn't say he's gotten much of a recent push compared to when he had his own series or previous Avengers runs. As Marvel's popularity grows and the Cinematic Universe expands it would be nice if BP could benefit a little more.

Luke Cage and Carol Danvers are better example of recent Marvel pushes over the last decade or so. Cage thanks to Bendis in New Avengers, which has lead to Thunderbolts his inclusion in all Marvel's big events, Mighty Avengers etc. And now he's getting a tv show. They haven't really done anything with Cage yet outside of comics but his show will come out on Netflix in a year or two so that will be big.

Carol's been a consistent presence in recent years, especially in the Avengers. Marvel hasn't stopped pushing her solo title either, relaunching it I think 3 or 4 times already. Marvel seems to be trying to establish her as their Wonder Woman, so far so good still got a ways to go imo.

Storm similar to BP has been more of a consistently pushed character in the comics since debuting in the X-men. She's only been around about 30 years, but she's been one of the more popular members of the team and consistently used. It looked like Marvel tried to give Storm more of a push as a solo character back in 2006 with her marriage to BP and they gave her an overdue mini series to test the waters. Than for whatever reason they abandoned that push and backgrounded Storm for a little bit. Storms been featured more prominently recently, she's Wolverine's Girlfriend and go the new hairdo plus her solo series just launched. Hopefully it works out for the character. I'd say this has been long over due considering how popular she's been to the X-men franchise and the boost in popularity we've seen thanks to Halle Berry. Storm's also used more in multimedia than the previous Marvel characters I've mentioned. She was arguably marvel's most iconic heroine prior Black Widow in Avengers so she makes most of the videogames and large ensemble Marvel stuff thats not solely restrcted to Avengers Avengers.

Than you've got characters that are getting a push because of movies or tv. Namely, Black Widow, Falcon and Deathlok. Black Widows getting a huge multi media push because of ScarJo and Avengers. Falcons finally getting some love thanks to Cap 2, which has resulted in him getting some real focus in the comics. Deathlok appears on Agents of Shield and is getting a comic. Longterm I don't expect much from Deathlok. He's always been that overlooked zombie dude and nothings changed aside from the fact he isn't in limbo.

For DC you've got to say Wonder Woman. She's a pop-culture icon, holds historical significance (similar to BP maybe moreso). DC's always promoted her in the comics for the last few decades. She's been consistently pushed in products and Justice LEague animation but not live action until very recently. She also doesn't really get the same love some of the male heroes do with the toy-lines aimed at adolescently boys (Fisher Price etc.).

You can make the case for Steel if you want idk if I would. I'd say Cyborg and Katana have gotten really noticeable pushes.

Cyborg's received a consistent push as a member of the Justice League and Teen Titans via animation. He's also present in almost all Justice League promotions since 2011. In the comics he's been a staple on DC's flagship Justice League title. He doesn't have a solo and his development (as a new character in the New 52) has been super slow to stagnant until recently. He's appeared in each issue of the book and been relevant to 3 story arcs. Thats as much as I'd say. But the lack of a solo hurts the character. I don't think he's necessarily treated poorly in relation to the other heroes (excluding Trinity War he was treated badly there). Maybe he isn't as big of a presence as Batman or Wonder Woman, but I'd say he's on the same level as Flash, Aquaman or Green Lantern. I don't think Johns done much with Superman other than showcase his powers so leaving him out. Warner animation has been fond of Cyborg since the Super Powers Team. If the Justice League film ever happens and he's treated well like a full fledged character and given some spots to shine I think you'll eventually see a Cyborg solo book.

Lastly I think you can argue DC's been pushing Katana more than they ever have before. I don't think they are doing a good job but its more evident than with any other non-Batman character. Heck I think they might be trying to make her a bat character between Birds of Prey and Beware the Batman. Unfortunately, DC hasn't been doing a great job with Katana imo. Her solo series was quickly cancelled. Beware the Batman was cancelled. I think she's set to appear on Arrow. Not sure what else they have in mind, but I've been told DC hasn't given up on her yet.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    QUESTION: which minorities do you think Marvel (or DC) have given a real push to in recent years?

For my money, I'd say Storm, T'Challa, Luke Cage and Carol Danvers have all had proper pushes, in major comics. Not just a one time attempt, but continued support, all in leadership roles, all go from one event to another (by which I mean a solo comic into a team, maybe a mini, then leading a team, etc). I don't know DC, so I can't comment on Cyborg; but I think those four are definitely examples where Marvel have stuck behind them (and continue to stick behind them).

I think Storm has actually been mishandled for several years. I wouldn't say that as an individual character she's gotten that much of a push. She's got her new ongoing now, but let's how long we last before it's derailed by crossovers and events. However, I am cautiously optimistic.

I think Black Panther got kind of a push during the Hudlin era, but without Reg, it seems like Marvel wasn't sure what they wanted to do with the character. Of maybe more specifically, how to get the kind of big numbers they want.

I'm not sure if I'd quite call Luke's status the result of an actual push by Marvel editorial, more like he was Bendis's pet character and BMB just putting him things he was writing. He visibility increased and folks were like, "Oh yeah, I remember that guy." I'd say the exact same thing happened with Jessica Drew Spider Woman. Marvel didn't really care about Jess until she got positive fan reaction. Had Bendis not used her, they would have just created another new character to use the name.

Carol Danvers is a tricky one, cuz it's part she has a fan base that can be potentially grown and part we must protect the trademark. I think a lot of fans want her to "Marvel's Wonder Woman" more than Marvel themselves want this. I do think that Kamela Kahn has gotten what I consider decent push, she had exposure to the media outside of comics fandom and I think it helped the title.

Crazy people overreacting aside, I think Marvel did a good job initially promoting Miles Morales.

Mighty Avengers is one of my favorite titles but it's hard to judge how more of their promotion was due to them being part of the Avengers franchise. If this comic was called New Champions or Luke and Co or something, would it have gotten any push?

Misty Knight...somebody obviously likes the character but I don't think Marvel is quite sure what to do with her. Same thing for Valkyrie. Same for Spider Girl. Brother Voodoo, his TV show didn't get picked up so he went back to limbo. Young Avengers..it's weird what kind of backlash the relaunch got. You can make a case for All New Ultimates being diverse, but I don't think Marvel's sure how to get interest in Ult line anymore outside of Miles solo.