Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default X-FORCE (2014) #12 Discussion/Spoilertalk: Something Rotten To Start With

Pretty much reading this in real time while I'm supposed to be getting ready for work. Spoilers throughout thread!

Synopsis:
    spoilers:
    We open with the preview pages, as Psylocke's astral form (assumedly) searches for Hope inside the Yellow Eye mainframe, where Hope is being tormented by the sights and sounds of an entire world of unfounded hatred and anger. Psylocke pulls her back successfully, then blanks her, quietly ashamed of her own reaction to the network's visions. The remainder of the team talk about how Cable could employ Fantomex even knowing he was unstable, and why he apparently forgot he'd sent Domino off on a solo job just before Alexandria - short version, cloning limits his memories. The arrival of fresh stormtroopers snaps Betsy out of her funk, and as she wipes them out she acknowledges that it's wrong and doesn't care, and perhaps likes the fact that Cable in his current state can't be relied on to pull her back from the edge, though Hope seemingly still can.

They confront the mastermind, who pleads - in the process, letting everyone else know that Betsy's been shagging Cable on the sly - before Betsy cuts him open...and out pops Mojo. The ratings of his original gladiator program fell and, rather than get stuck hosting educational TV, he escaped to Earth with enough advanced tech to start anew, and saw an opportunity with anti-mutant hatred running high. Cable shoves a gun in Mojo's face and demands the keys to the Yellow Eye network, but apparently its breakdown failsafe has already triggered. Mojo goes back to pleading, spitting out some more lurid secrets the team's been keeping from each other...and before Betsy can stop him, he's grassed up 'MeMe's identity to Cable. This does not go down well with Nate.

After much Summers family drama and some exchanged insults, the team plant C4 everywhere and make a break for it, with Mojo captive. Suddenly they come across Dr. Nemesis...and another Cable, who broke into the facility while the main team distracted everyone and so got to the mainframe before it could crash. Both Nates are unapologetic about this deception, and Psylocke makes to kill one of them, only for Hope to stop her, saying "he's not worth it". And then Fantomex returns, now with green tentacles growing out of his head-hole, and slaps everyone around with psychic blasts. It turns out that, through hacking Hope-as-MeMe's mind, Fanto was able to copy the psychic abstract version of the Volga virus that Hope accidentally caught from Cable back in Alexandria, and thanks to it being digitized through their respective mechanical minds, Fanto was able to iron out the self-destructing flaws in the process, and having his brain 'rebooted' by death got the whole shebang functional.

UberFanto teases Hope to the point of breakdown before one of the two Cables tries to take him out with the music-triggered self-destruct. Fanto counters by telekinetically crushing him into nothing. Ignoring Hope's advice, Psylocke charges with her sword out, but Fanto disarms her and rips the entire team apart with projectiles launched from his wings Archangel style. The issue ends with Fanto standing over everyone's corpses...and a flickering Hope hologram smiling?
    end of spoilers

Quick thoughts:

- So much plot going on here!

- Mystery Villain's identity was successfully guessed by a few on the boards, but most of us thought differently. It's a sensible choice, though.

- The whole Psylocke/Domino tension is dealt with very quickly...and pretty much perfectly.

- Not much for Marrow to do again.

- And that is one HELL of a cliffhanger. I've got some solid ideas on what it 'means' but I'll save that for another post.

Chat away, kiddies.
    Hey, you! Visit the Domino Appreciation Thread right now, or DOOP GETS IT!

Betsy is one of us! By us, I mean the 5 or 6 members of the Hope Summers Fanclub.

"the bad guy we hate to love". But... but I love to love him!

BANNED

I really wish this was just put on the discussion thread instead of a seperate thread. If feels redundant but that's just me.

My thoughts are on the discussion thread:

Damn, Damn, DAMN!!!!

Secrets come out and more betsy introspection!! I LOVE IT!!!

"That whole introspection from betsy showing her "brokeness" is amazing. I can't help but think back to DAS when Fanto called betsy out on the feeling of wanting to be "wanted" and how well it fits in this story.

I love how well aware she is about herself, how she loathes and yet enjoys, how she doesn't care and yet does. A confused sad little soul begging to be saved like a lost little child.

She shrieks when she's around storm ( like an obidient child)

This issue made my day."

Edit: Betsy is looking be saved by someone who is strong, that's what Hope represents. (symbolic to the meaning of her name, really intelligent use really... yet another applaud to you sir SiSpurr) In retrospect it make sense why she's with storm as well as Storm is strong similar to Hope but not as pure.
    Last edited by Hariel0079; 11-19-2014 at 08:55 AM.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Thanks for reviewing Craig.

It's a complicated issue, I've read it a few times, and I'm still not quite sure I've got it. It's good though. A few random thoughts:

So Fantomex has cleaned up the Volga effect, and has made himself the better. Does this mean a way out for Cable and Hope of their current mess; given that Hope is a power mimic? Can she steal his lovely cleaned up version?

A classic X-Man villain pops up. There were a few hints dropped all along, in retrospect.

Spurrier watches the IT crowd. (That probably means nothing to most people here. But it made me laugh.). It's a lovely moment.

image.jpg

I also liked the moment where the two Cables wordlessly communicate what needs to be done, and the wounded one takes the hit for the team. It's a perfect Cable moment to me.

What did that smile at the end mean? Anyone?
    "Self has no time for this."

BANNED

Smile = Hopes plan, as in a misdirection.

Just as Thirteen got in to Hope to play her, I'm sure the reverse of everything he said is possible and I think that's what Hope did. Pretty much Thirteen's Ego/Arrogance will be his undoing and the teams "Broken" state is their biggest and albeit obvious flaw/weakness they NEED to overcome. So this X-Force run seems it will have defining moments going forward.

Oh, didn't think of that. Hope using Fanto's misdirection there would be a classic moment! Hope you're right (no pun intended).

And as for the team, I hope they can overcome their broken state in order to beat him. Cable in particular is super broken, and has become really cold and emotionless. Much more so than usual at least. This issue almost made me uncomfortable in the sense that it felt like Hope was becoming what Cable used to be, and that he is now broken beyond repair. I got a strange sense of dread when reading those parts that made me feel like Cable might not make out of this series alive, but that his sacrifice would not be in vain because his daughter would be saved as a result and would be everything he ever hoped she'd be. Better than him in every way.

But then I remembered that the broken Cable(s) is a clone. So it's probably all good for the real deal. Probably...

It says a lot about the quality of Spurriers work on this title that Betsy repeatedly stating that Hope is the best of us over and over again doesn't make me want to claw out my eyes the way it once would.

It was pretty great seeing Mojo do that exposition bit and X-Force just having no time for his crap.
    Game Over man! Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Oh, didn't think of that. Hope using Fanto's misdirection there would be a classic moment! Hope you're right (no pun intended).

And as for the team, I hope they can overcome their broken state in order to beat him. Cable in particular is super broken, and has become really cold and emotionless. Much more so than usual at least. This issue almost made me uncomfortable in the sense that it felt like Hope was becoming what Cable used to be, and that he is now broken beyond repair. I got a strange sense of dread when reading those parts that made me feel like Cable might not make out of this series alive, but that his sacrifice would not be in vain because his daughter would be saved as a result and would be everything he ever hoped she'd be. Better than him in every way.

But then I remembered that the broken Cable(s) is a clone. So it's probably all good for the real deal. Probably...
    Hah, I had precisely the same reaction. Loved the issue, but it made me awfully uneasy for Nate.

This sounds incredibly good. Looking forward to picking it up tomorrow when I get paid.

Yeah, the end screams misdirection!
    www.elfwood.com/~drakeon

"Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Perfect issue.

Newbie Member

Wait, wait, Psylocke is dead?
    I wonder who will replace her in the in the women's team, the X-Men?

This was another great issue and I have to give some praise over to Kim's artwork. spoilers:
    Mojo
    end of spoilers looked great and the astral plane scene with the multiple view points around the world just looked amazing. I haven't been Kim's biggest fan but this was a really good looking issue. I'm still waiting for Nemesis' turn for an issue, maybe we'll get to see a certain someone spying on him at night.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Quote Originally Posted by Brand View Post
    Wait, wait, Psylocke is dead?
    I wonder who will replace her in the in the women's team, the X-Men?
    All is not what it seems
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Fantastic issue. One of the best books Marvel is putting out. The only criticism I have is about the art but even then the art works with what's going on in the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    Quick thoughts:

- So much plot going on here!

- Mystery Villain's identity was successfully guessed by a few on the boards, but most of us thought differently. It's a sensible choice, though.

- The whole Psylocke/Domino tension is dealt with very quickly...and pretty much perfectly.

- And that is one HELL of a cliffhanger. I've got some solid ideas on what it 'means' but I'll save that for another post.

Chat away, kiddies.
    Thanks for the summary. Now i know what i can look forward to until i got the issue.

Yay, progession.

Edit:
    Those tentacles look exactly the same as what the "ghost" Volga used in issue 3 to kill Antonio. However the Volga (Morituri) process gives random super powers, like the X-gene does. Guess he might have gotten some psychic virus back in Alexandria now posing as his backup EVA.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    - Not much for Marrow to do again.
    Sigh. This makes me sad. Not saying he should focus too much attention on her, but currently it looks like he sidelined her because he has no clue what to do with her anymore. Also having done a lot more damage than good for her.
    First he soured many people's opinion of her when he gave her that weird narration (and focus over a new or longer established character). Her dialoge and behaviour being also likely more annoying than funny to most readers. Then she had her big reveal in issue 5, which might have further divided opinions on her and also slapped the "dead baby" card on, which is never helpfull for a character.
    Finaly she has done next to nothing or even got much purpose after issue 6. She is more or less just muscle who repeats the same dialoge constantly. All while being possibly less popular than she was before she appeared in X-force.

The fact that the only tumblr question about her, was about her powers, certainly doesn't create confidence that she will have any significant character development soon. But hey. Maybe i'm just pessimistic here. Series is not over yet.
    Last edited by Grunty; 11-19-2014 at 01:46 PM.