Page 668 of 692 FirstFirst ... 168568618658664665666667668669670671672678 ... LastLast
Results 10,006 to 10,020 of 10370
  1. #10006
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    and it shows how far maul had fallen. at that point, maul wasn't a threat to anyone, much less the sith and the empire.

    and obi-wan had gotten so strong that he really didn't want to fight maul in the first place.
    I personally think that at this point Maul was so tired of the pain that was his life that he just wanted to die.

    He just needed to find the one person worthy of delivering the final blow.

  2. #10007
    Truth and Conviction Hazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Y'know, I don't complain about Anime Super! Goku much but it is refreshing to see Manga Super!Goku still acting with Z Goku's rationale, heroism and competence.
    It is rather nice. Toei plays up certain things for comedy a bit too much for my liking. I mean, Goku is not necessarily more heroic in the manga, but since the pace is much faster than the anime there is way less time for messing around.

  3. #10008
    Veteran Member Iron_Twister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I personally think that at this point Maul was so tired of the pain that was his life that he just wanted to die.

    He just needed to find the one person worthy of delivering the final blow.
    He's kinda like Jerid in Zeta Gundam in their rivalry (without the death seeking/Jedi and Sith part of course), both made things a lot more personal but ultimately it means so very little compare to the bigger picture.



    ....Basically, Old Ben threw a crippled Maul down a mountain when pushed.

    Though at least he let Maul die in his own twisted way happy. Jerid....simply got his ass thrown down a mountain.

  4. #10009
    Veteran Member Cody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    He's kinda like Jerid in Zeta Gundam in their rivalry (without the death seeking/Jedi and Sith part of course), both made things a lot more personal but ultimately it means so very little compare to the bigger picture.



    ....Basically, Old Ben threw a crippled Maul down a mountain when pushed.

    Though at least he let Maul die in his own twisted way happy. Jerid....simply got his ass thrown down a mountain.
    Jerid liked to blame all of his problems on Kamille. Despite the fact that about 99% of his "problems" revolve around his actions, while he is too much of a child to admit that simple fact.

    Maul owns up to his shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Physically grabbing an released Black Hole to stop it is like throwing a sandwich at Galactus to stop him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    I stand by my belief of Toriyama seeing a certain match online and going "Oh Yeah?!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Every time you say the name of some kind of nonsense martial art, an angel gets its wings, and Val Armorr learns the martial art, retroactively founds it, then super karates the angel unconscious with it.

  5. #10010
    Veteran Member Iron_Twister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Jerid liked to blame all of his problems on Kamille. Despite the fact that about 99% of his "problems" revolve around his actions, while he is too much of a child to admit that simple fact.

    Maul owns up to his shit.
    I say it's a small case of something similar...But not as crazy as Jerid and Kamille.

    Maul kills Qui-Gon, gets cut in half and is driven to insanity, then he kills Obi-Wan's love interest in revenge after a few encounters during the Clone Wars.

    I mean of course at the end it ultimately didn't matter yet Obi-Wan took a sorta active stance against the Sith by watching over Luke while Maul was stewing around in his insanity to make much of an impact.

    Then again, Maul did help wipe out the canon imperial inquisition so that was something.

  6. #10011
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,752

    Default

    I'm a fair bit hungover so forgive me if this isn't as clean as I'd like it to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    It's really no different for any country that is dominated by a specific ethnicity. Every country typically creates content for the racial identity that they share. It's not something that only white people do. Japan, China, India, etc, are no different in that regard.
    I would argue that white cultural dominance and the growing diversity of modern western society means that it is somewhat different. White people have the privilege so I feel the onus is on us to try and make room for more examples of other groups within media.

    And did you have these same complaints when DC changed Wally from white to black(before bringing OG Wally back)? Or what about when Nick Fury was made Black? Or CWs "James Olsen"? In those cases it would have been better to just create a completely different character to make everyone happy, but they changed the colour of their skin and pretty much turned them into completely different characters for no reason other than a half assed attempt in creating a minority character.

    Which is kind of insulting, as it just shows they were too lazy to create a new and unique character, meaning they were putting less effort in minority characters than they would white characters, while sending out the message that if you are of a different ethnicity, you will instantly have a different personality. You could have a similar history, and you'd still be completely different all because you are of a different ethnicity, all the while also slapping fans of the original characters in the face by changing their favourite characters both in personality and appearance.

    I honestly doubt they had any hidden agenda in portraying Danny as White, just poor casting choices. Though imo; if they were going to change his ethnicity, then they should have had a mixed White/Asian guy as Danny. You don't see many mixed characters portrayed in fiction, despite interracial relationships becoming more and more common, and the background for the character on how his parents may have met could have been interesting. That, and I've always been a fan of the "Whasian" martial artist type of character ever since I played True Crimes: Streets of LA.
    I didn't have those objections for those examples because that's a marginalised group being made more prominent through changing the ethnicity of an existing white character. I'll fully agree that good representation should come from the ground up and altering the racial background of a character can change how they are on a fundamental level but with the rather unique adaptation situation that comics come from, they have a ton of white characters who were created at a time when there wasn't such a need for diversity, this means that diversifying existing characters is a decent enough solution.

    In the case of Danny, I don't see why him being white would be considered fundamental to his character.

    Ooooh boy I am so tired and hungover. I got in at 4AM.

    I might come back to this when my brain is functioning.

  7. #10012
    Veteran Member Cody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I would argue that white cultural dominance and the growing diversity of modern western society means that it is somewhat different. White people have the privilege so I feel the onus is on us to try and make room for more examples of other groups within media.
    I think it would be best if we don't get too into that. 50/50 chance of a topic lock happening one way or another.

    I didn't have those objections for those examples because that's a marginalised group being made more prominent through changing the ethnicity of an existing white character. I'll fully agree that good representation should come from the ground up and altering the racial background of a character can change how they are on a fundamental level but with the rather unique adaptation situation that comics come from, they have a ton of white characters who were created at a time when there wasn't such a need for diversity, this means that diversifying existing characters is a decent enough solution.
    It still more or less slaps original fans of the characters in question right in the face. Especially when they change them by such a huge degree(like that annoying idiot "James" Olsen, though he is also just a horribly written character in a poorly written and cheesy show).

    In the case of Danny, I don't see why him being white would be considered fundamental to his character.
    That's why he should have been mixed. Mixed individuals themselves face different types of hardships that "pure" ethnic groups could not understand. Sometimes they could be alienated by everyone because of it. Add the fact that this would also add two distinct family backgrounds for the character in question, while still keeping relatively true to the original character, AND offering those of a different ethnicity someone to identify with.

    Ooooh boy I am so tired and hungover. I got in at 4AM.
    Last edited by Cody; 03-19-2017 at 01:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Physically grabbing an released Black Hole to stop it is like throwing a sandwich at Galactus to stop him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    I stand by my belief of Toriyama seeing a certain match online and going "Oh Yeah?!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Every time you say the name of some kind of nonsense martial art, an angel gets its wings, and Val Armorr learns the martial art, retroactively founds it, then super karates the angel unconscious with it.

  8. #10013
    nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    19,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I personally think that at this point Maul was so tired of the pain that was his life that he just wanted to die.

    He just needed to find the one person worthy of delivering the final blow.
    one could look at it that way. there are a lot of ways to look at maul's end.

    but it says something that obi-wan did give him some comfort before he died.

  9. #10014
    Veteran Member Hiromi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,114

    Default

    It's funny watching DB Super 82 and knowing the instant when the animating budget ran out(nice looking stage you're building there Grand Angel dude, that must be why everyone stops moving more than a couple frames at a time afterwards.)

  10. #10015
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    It's funny watching DB Super 82 and knowing the instant when the animating budget ran out(nice looking stage you're building there Grand Angel dude, that must be why everyone stops moving more than a couple frames at a time afterwards.)
    That's just not just the animation budget, it's also that the entire episode was outsourced and the director for the latter half is the worst in Super's entire team.

    That's why Beerus looks like an ugly dog at some points.

  11. #10016
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    I think it would be best if we don't get too into that. 50/50 chance of a topic lock happening one way or another.
    What, white privilege? I don't think it is that charged of an issue but if ya don't want to get into it then no worries.

    It still more or less slaps original fans of the characters in question right in the face. Especially when they change them by such a huge degree(like that annoying idiot "James" Olsen, though he is also just a horribly written character in a poorly written and cheesy show).
    I can't speak for Olsen character myself, didn't watch Supergirl but... I don't see it as a slap exactly? I mean, are there people who are drastically invested in the accuracy of Jimmy Olsen as a character, for example? Does changing the race of a character immediately mean that you can't experience similar emotional thru-lines and plots that you had with the original?

    I mean, to move away for racial alterations slightly and just look at adaptation in general - I think people have a weird hang up about how the movie or on-screen version of a character is somehow definitive. Take... Scott Pilgrim for example. I love the books, I have read them many a time and greatly enjoy them. When the movie came out, I liked Edgar Wright's work thought it was okay. However, the way the relationships are framed in the movie is very different than the books, Michael Cera is, for me, just fundamentally not right for the role of the character of Scott and big chunks of the cast don't get developed like they do in the books because there was no way one film could have the same depth.

    But that's adaptation. Things change in the transition. I don't see a character being dramatically changed as a slap to the face because the original still exists. If they are still telling interesting and compelling stories with them then it doesn't make a difference to me because I'm not really invested in any single character to be precious about them being portrayed "correctly".

    Like, take Sam Raimi's Spiderman; I never liked Tobey Macguire for the role of Peter Parker. He just didn't match up with how I had always imagined a live action Spiderman to be and his character arc never really grabbed me in those films. Did I feel betrayed that he was different or lacking? Not really. Raimi's films had an aesthetic and an ideology which, while not really interesting to me, was competent enough in it's execution.

    I guess the bigger, in a sense, question that I'm posing is why people feel so invested in the idea of a "correct" form a comic book character. I mean, in comic books especially it seems ridiculous as you're talking about characters that have been written hundreds of times over by hundreds of different writers who brought their own interpretations to the character.

    What does it mean to have a "true" version of that character?

    That's why he should have been mixed. Mixed individuals themselves face different types of hardships that "pure" ethnic groups could not understand. Sometimes they could be alienated by everyone because of it. Add the fact that this would also add two distinct family backgrounds for the character in question, while still keeping relatively true to the original character, AND offering those of a different ethnicity someone to identify with.
    Would have been a good choice.

    You do if you drink a lot while you do it. :P
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 03-19-2017 at 05:30 PM.

  12. #10017
    E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Munch, Capital of So Asbena
    Posts
    3,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    You do if drink a lot while you do it. :P
    I thought that just killed you, as the weed made you incapable of vomiting, so you couldn't get the alchol out of your system and it poisons you.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

  13. #10018
    Rumbles Moderator Guy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,159

    Default

    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

  14. #10019
    nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    19,572

    Default

    well i finished chapter 4 of my book.

    anyone interesting in reading what i have so far?

    be warned. it's still a rough draft and i haven't had time to go back and make all the needed edits.

  15. #10020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Muscle Power !

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcnGfDh_a5U

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •