Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,617

    Default "Amazing Spider-Man" Flies High, Batman Family Stays Strong in April 2014 Sales

    "Amazing Spider-Man" debuted to record numbers while Batman locked in half the top ten slots and Image dominates graphic novel sales in April 2014.


    Full article here.

  2. #2

    Default

    So.....

    that Ultimate relaunch really didn't pan out.

  3. #3

    Default

    I'm surprised the numbers for Amazing Spider-Man #1 weren't higher. Given all the variants and all the hype, I thought it would have easily topped 600k. Guess it's not going to be the Obama issue.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!


  4. #4

    Default

    Other than the fact that Hulk 1 was that successful (especially when you consider that it wasn't all that well recieved by fans and critics alike, I believe), there are very little surprises in the Top 10. Batman Eternal has been selling less with each issue, though. That is, obviously, to be expected, but I wonder if, by the end of this experiment, the financial demands of the weekly schedule won't outweigh reader's devotion even for as popular a character as Batman.

    I have to say, it's disappointing to see so many excellent titles (Green Arrow, Mighty Avengers, Black Widow, Loki Agent of Asgard, among others) sell so few copies. I can see why that's the case with Superior Foes (despite being consistently excellent when Spencer & Lieber are on board, it's admittedly a very niche title), but when we're talking about very popular characters, especially ones featured on movies & TV shows, it's baffling that the titles' obvious and unanimous quality isn't enough to draw more people in.

    Though most of all, I'm disappointed by how low the sales for Winter Soldier: The Bitter March are. Buck had a huge box office hit come out last month and presumably The Bitter March was originally intended both as a satellite for Remender's Captain America series as well as a feeler for just how interested comic readers are in another Winter Soldier series. The fact that it's moving so few copies probably doesn't bode well for Bucky's chances. Which is a shame, because the story is a delightful callback to the classic Connery Bond movies; however, the fact that Winter Soldier moments are so scarce in his own titular mini-series probably drove away people. Maybe the ol' Jason Vorhees approach to Bucky wasn't the best decision so close to the movie's release (although, admittedly, Remender's Cap isn't that big a seller either, so maybe I'm overestimating the importance of the movie's influence in comic sales).

  5. #5
    King of the Dragons Mister Ferro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMerc View Post
    Other than the fact that Hulk 1 was that successful (especially when you consider that it wasn't all that well recieved by fans and critics alike, I believe), there are very little surprises in the Top 10. Batman Eternal has been selling less with each issue, though. That is, obviously, to be expected, but I wonder if, by the end of this experiment, the financial demands of the weekly schedule won't outweigh reader's devotion even for as popular a character as Batman.
    Hulk #1 is not successful, at all. It did 73,551 units which is 45,425 units less than what Indestructible Hulk 1 did. #2 lost 32,961 units with 40,590 shipped. That puts #2 only 10,500 units away from the final issue 20 that shipped in March for Indestructible Hulk.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Objectively Biased View Post
    So.....

    that Ultimate relaunch really didn't pan out.
    Oh, it panned, alright.

    Anywho, I was actually surprised that Deadpool got a bump as big as it did with an issue that was $10.

  7. #7
    CATASTROPHE Hrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMerc View Post
    I have to say, it's disappointing to see so many excellent titles (Green Arrow, Mighty Avengers, Black Widow, Loki Agent of Asgard, among others) sell so few copies. I can see why that's the case with Superior Foes (despite being consistently excellent when Spencer & Lieber are on board, it's admittedly a very niche title), but when we're talking about very popular characters, especially ones featured on movies & TV shows, it's baffling that the titles' obvious and unanimous quality isn't enough to draw more people in.
    These are all niche titles, though, starring characters that have never been huge sellers, despite stuff like Loki's movie popularity. But BW, Loki, and She-Hulk have been pretty small drops despite not being blockbusters— which indicates they might be finding a loyal audience even if it's not a huge one. X-Factor is one of the models of this kind of success, with low but consistent sales, and it's still finding a level after a Marvel Now relaunch. I am a bit worried about Mighty Avengers, that's still dropping.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMerc View Post
    Though most of all, I'm disappointed by how low the sales for Winter Soldier: The Bitter March are. Buck had a huge box office hit come out last month and presumably The Bitter March was originally intended both as a satellite for Remender's Captain America series as well as a feeler for just how interested comic readers are in another Winter Soldier series. The fact that it's moving so few copies probably doesn't bode well for Bucky's chances. Which is a shame, because the story is a delightful callback to the classic Connery Bond movies; however, the fact that Winter Soldier moments are so scarce in his own titular mini-series probably drove away people. Maybe the ol' Jason Vorhees approach to Bucky wasn't the best decision so close to the movie's release (although, admittedly, Remender's Cap isn't that big a seller either, so maybe I'm overestimating the importance of the movie's influence in comic sales).
    The Bitter March is an odd duck. Marvel has trended away from miniseries lately because they do not sell (& Doop, Iron Patriot seem to reflect this) but you can see why a Winter Soldier flashback mini might work right now, with the movie out. A flashback story from his brainwashed days is something that works well in a limited format and makes sense with his role in the film. But it's being marketed more as a tie-in to Remender's Captain America than a Winter Soldier mini, and like you say, he doesn't appear that much in favor of this Iron Nail thing. I don't think this confused approach helped retailers, but also note that the main CA only got a very small boost in April from the movie.

  8. #8
    Senior Member RobinFan4880's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,357

    Default

    I feel like OGN may be the future for non-event mini-series.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Ferro View Post
    Hulk #1 is not successful, at all. It did 73,551 units which is 45,425 units less than what Indestructible Hulk 1 did. #2 lost 32,961 units with 40,590 shipped. That puts #2 only 10,500 units away from the final issue 20 that shipped in March for Indestructible Hulk.
    Still, pretty good ROI for a few variant covers (four on #1 according to the CBR preview) and a renumbering without changing anything else.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    PALM SPRINGS CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMerc View Post
    Other than the fact that Hulk 1 was that successful (especially when you consider that it wasn't all that well recieved by fans and critics alike, I believe), there are very little surprises in the Top 10. Batman Eternal has been selling less with each issue, though. That is, obviously, to be expected, but I wonder if, by the end of this experiment, the financial demands of the weekly schedule won't outweigh reader's devotion even for as popular a character as Batman.

    I have to say, it's disappointing to see so many excellent titles (Green Arrow, Mighty Avengers, Black Widow, Loki Agent of Asgard, among others) sell so few copies. I can see why that's the case with Superior Foes (despite being consistently excellent when Spencer & Lieber are on board, it's admittedly a very niche title), but when we're talking about very popular characters, especially ones featured on movies & TV shows, it's baffling that the titles' obvious and unanimous quality isn't enough to draw more people in.

    Though most of all, I'm disappointed by how low the sales for Winter Soldier: The Bitter March are. Buck had a huge box office hit come out last month and presumably The Bitter March was originally intended both as a satellite for Remender's Captain America series as well as a feeler for just how interested comic readers are in another Winter Soldier series. The fact that it's moving so few copies probably doesn't bode well for Bucky's chances. Which is a shame, because the story is a delightful callback to the classic Connery Bond movies; however, the fact that Winter Soldier moments are so scarce in his own titular mini-series probably drove away people. Maybe the ol' Jason Vorhees approach to Bucky wasn't the best decision so close to the movie's release (although, admittedly, Remender's Cap isn't that big a seller either, so maybe I'm overestimating the importance of the movie's influence in comic sales).
    What disappoints me is that people are disappointed that Marvel and DC aren't selling even more units, when Fantagraphics and ONI have less than half a percent of the market share combined.

  11. #11
    Judge and Executioner fredmanson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2

    Default

    As always, I am really surprised by how low these numbers are vs. the real sales numbers. I think that it is time for Diamond AND for the publishers to publish the global numbers including overseas sales. I am living in France and I pre-order my books from the UK. I am not alone. We are a huge number of European readers buying US comic books. So, it's really time to think that the world is not "in the USA's borders" but it's the whole planet. Thanks.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    I'm surprised that there's no Avengers titles in the top 10.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    DENVER
    Posts
    115

    Default

    I see this report as good news. DC isn't even 30% of the market. The independents are creeping up. My hope is that at some point, Warner Bros will wake up to the increasing malaise of the DC grim, gratuitous violence world that is drifting down in sales and fire Didio. They can then bring in a publisher that breaks out of this mold with books that are more uplifting and less disturbing that could bring in more sales.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
    I see this report as good news. DC isn't even 30% of the market. The independents are creeping up. My hope is that at some point, Warner Bros will wake up to the increasing malaise of the DC grim, gratuitous violence world that is drifting down in sales and fire Didio. They can then bring in a publisher that breaks out of this mold with books that are more uplifting and less disturbing that could bring in more sales.
    I agree with your general point, and but the smug you're releasing into the atmosphere is a bit stiffing.

  15. #15
    King of the Dragons Mister Ferro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yet another View Post
    Still, pretty good ROI for a few variant covers (four on #1 according to the CBR preview) and a renumbering without changing anything else.
    Not really. Even the variants that Marvel are doing are losing their appeal, otherwise Hulk #1 would have done 100k.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •