Page 690 of 690 FirstFirst ... 190590640680686687688689690
Results 10,336 to 10,341 of 10341

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    but they are coming as surely as the sun rising somewhere, tomorrow. this is Marvel's first female led movie. I'm quite optimistic about it, actually. I think that she brings something to the table that Diana doesn't. she also brings something that Iron Man, Thor, and Cap (arguably) do not.
    Man, those comparisons started in 2012, if not sooner. And yeah, there's no avoiding them.....I just wish they weren't happening. Or at least, not happening as much.

I agree that Carol brings something unique to the table though. Especially when compared to Diana. The only thing those two have in common (outside of vague superhero morality) is that they're female. I think if you want to compare Carol to a major DC character, it should be Hal Jordan.
    Last edited by Ascended; Yesterday at 03:37 PM.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

Discipline = Freedom.

Invincible: The greatest superhero comic in the universe!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Man, those comparisons started in 2012, if not sooner. And yeah, there's no avoiding them.....I just wish they weren't happening. Or at least, not happening as much.

I agree that Carol brings something unique to the table though. Especially when compared to Diana. The only thing those two have in common (outside of vague superhero morality) is that they're female. I think if you want to compare Carol to a major DC character, it should be Hal Jordan.
    right exactly. and it's looking like she will appear before the DCU's version of Hal. I'm very optimistic. she'll draw in a much larger audience.
    Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    Because its fun, not as fun as the liberal meltdown but close
    11/10/2016

Carol's going to have a lot of hype on her, for real. Not quite as much now that Wonder Woman has been a proven success....but in some ways that adds more stress and expectations too. Now it wont be "Can a female hero support a film?" it'll be "Was Wonder Woman a fluke?" and of course, since this is Marvel's first female lead, that's just a whole mountain of issues in and of itself, since Marvel films tend to be judged on a different level than anyone else's.

Im not worried. Fiege has proven he knows his job, the MCU has impressed me at (almost) every turn and proven me wrong a couple times (Ant-Man). Carol's a damn solid character with tons of potential. The new EIC (or whatever) seems to be a fan, or at least is continuing the Carol push. The movie is gonna be good. Carol is in good hands.

EDIT: Except in her own book. We need a new writer.

Discipline = Freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Carol's going to have a lot of hype on her, for real. Not quite as much now that Wonder Woman has been a proven success....but in some ways that adds more stress and expectations too. Now it wont be "Can a female hero support a film?" it'll be "Was Wonder Woman a fluke?" and of course, since this is Marvel's first female lead, that's just a whole mountain of issues in and of itself, since Marvel films tend to be judged on a different level than anyone else's.

Im not worried. Fiege has proven he knows his job, the MCU has impressed me at (almost) every turn and proven me wrong a couple times (Ant-Man). Carol's a damn solid character with tons of potential. The new EIC (or whatever) seems to be a fan, or at least is continuing the Carol push. The movie is gonna be good. Carol is in good hands.

EDIT: Except in her own book. We need a new writer.
    looked at another way. you have a winning team with Marvel. they know how to craft a superhero movie. this is their first female led. so there will be hype. but they started off on the right foot by choosing an actual actress for the role. Brie Larson comes with accolades. this isn't someone who was picked because she's statuesque and/or hot. what had Gal Gadot done before landing the Wonder Woman role? Brie Larson's already proven herself. and I trust her and the director to give us something pleasantly unexpected.
    Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    Because its fun, not as fun as the liberal meltdown but close
    11/10/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    what had Gal Gadot done before landing the Wonder Woman role?
    Nothing of note, but did it matter? WW was a smash hit - Unfortunately for DC the same can't be said for Justice League! Marvel's only major failures seem to be Iron Fist and Inhumans, and they're both TV, not movies, so it's different people in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Nothing of note, but did it matter? WW was a smash hit - Unfortunately for DC the same can't be said for Justice League! Marvel's only major failures seem to be Iron Fist and Inhumans, and they're both TV, not movies, so it's different people in charge.
    True on Gadot not having a resume to speak of before Wonder Woman, but that's nothing new. Chris Reeves hadn't done anything except a few soap operas before Superman. Keaton was considered a comedy actor before Batman. And I dont think Lynda Carter had much to her name before the 70's Wonder Woman either (though I could be wrong there).

Marvel casting Brie is brilliant, because she *does* have that resume behind her. But I dont think it makes much of a difference, even with this being Marvel's first female lead; this genre has proven time and again that it can take no-name actors and turn them into household names. I mean, other than RDJ and Johansson none of the Avengers actors were that well known either.

Discipline = Freedom.