Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Formerly rsreed13 robreedwrites's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I expect Aquaman to at least do better than Justice League. Thanks to DC's output Aquaman has such a low bar to clear. WW numbers would be great, but right now, doing better than Justice League should be all that's expected of it. And I think that's very possible.
    The visuals are going to really have to sell Aquaman, especially since it's opening against Bumblebee and Alita: Battle Angel. I'm not expecting the latter to really hit, but I think it's going to swipe some of Aquaman's potential audience. And then Mary Poppins Returns will probably take away the family market. Luckily, there's no Star Wars film against it.
    Reviews at Adventures in Poor Taste: http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/author/robert/
    I also write reviews for Newsarama

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    It must sort of suck for all the superhero CBM to follow the BP. Everything is going to pale in comparison to BP.
    I think it will suck for some of these CBMs to be compared to the box office of Black Panther. BP is on the kind of tear that is rarely seen. It really is impressive.

However, as long as the other CBMs tries to put together something strong and interesting, it can hold its figurative head held high. I am very much looking forward to Infinity War and Deadpool. Hopefully, they are well structured movies with a lot of the really cool stuff that I read in comics. I really do hope we get stuff we haven't seen.

With movies like Black Panther, Wonder Woman, Deadpool, Avengers, etc...I am hoping people realize that you can make superhero/comic book movies that are not only fun and exciting, but can also be held in high pop culture regard.
    Last edited by Arfguy; 03-10-2018 at 03:54 PM. Reason: redundant wording
    Previously: Deep_Sleeper. Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    Love the works of comic book artists - Stuart Immonen, Olivier Coipel, Kev Walker, Valerio Schiti, Esad Ribic, Jerome Opena and so many more great comic book artists

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    It crossed 1 billion late Friday night in the states, as China's Saturday numbers came in.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...ion-worldwide/
    Surprised only in that they already have the numbers for China, but the actual crossing the billion mark isn't surprising

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I expect Aquaman to at least do better than Justice League. Thanks to DC's output Aquaman has such a low bar to clear. WW numbers would be great, but right now, doing better than Justice League should be all that's expected of it. And I think that's very possible.
    If Aquaman has a sane budget it doesn't even have to do better than Justice League to be succesful.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

It crossed 1 billion late Friday night in the states, as China's Saturday numbers came in.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...ion-worldwide/
    So unreal

Long live the King..

Great news for BP. I think Avengers Infinity War will do fantastic too and even Ant-Man and the Wasp will do well too it won't do Infinity War or BP numbers but Marvel and Disney aren't expecting it too either.

I remember discussing that will it cross 1 billion. I was expecting somewhere between 700-900 million. But this has crossed 1 billion with a lot of gas still in the tank. I won't be surprised to see it cross Iron Man 3. And both Avengers numbers are within reach. BP has stunned everyone.

Formerly rsreed13 robreedwrites's Avatar

It's domestic is at 562m and Worldwide is at 1.078 billion. The crazy thing with domestic is that even if it crashed now and only did Civil War/Ultron/The Last Jedi numbers, it still gets to 600m domestic. But the film is, thus far, playing like Jurassic World and the Avengers, which means it has 90-110m left domestically, so a domestic total between 650 and 670m seems likely. If it gets past 659m it takes the 3rd spot on the All-time domestic chart (34th on the adjusted for inflation chart).
    Reviews at Adventures in Poor Taste: http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/author/robert/
    I also write reviews for Newsarama

It's domestic is at 562m and Worldwide is at 1.078 billion. The crazy thing with domestic is that even if it crashed now and only did Civil War/Ultron/The Last Jedi numbers, it still gets to 600m domestic. But the film is, thus far, playing like Jurassic World and the Avengers, which means it has 90-110m left domestically, so a domestic total between 650 and 670m seems likely. If it gets past 659m it takes the 3rd spot on the All-time domestic chart (34th on the adjusted for inflation chart).
    It's actually tracking slightly ahead of The Avengers numbers on Avengers' holiday weekend. Though, admittedly, not adjusted for inflation. I wish I could find stats of actual tickets sold.
    Why yes, I AM a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production.

One thing I don't hear being talked about is the general attraction of Black Panther from a narrative standpoint. I think his introduction in Civil War was hugely important as a figure who's generally more serious and mysterious than his counterparts. The character and his film broke from the trend of Marvel films being more comedic in nature. Personally, for me, it was such a breath of fresh air for a Marvel action film to have some political and social themes addressed as well as a protagonist who isn't a wise-cracking goofball. It was the most fun I've had watching a Marvel movie since Winter Soldier, and it isn't coincidental that Winter Soldier possessed some of the same elements as Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Personally, for me, it was such a breath of fresh air for a Marvel action film to have some political and social themes addressed as well as a protagonist who isn't a wise-cracking goofball.
    I would argue that Captain America is those things, particularly in the second two films.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I would argue that Captain America is those things, particularly in the second two films.
    A wise-cracking goofball or films with a more serious theme? If the latter, I agree which is why I enjoyed Winter Solider a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    A wise-cracking goofball or films with a more serious theme? If the latter, I agree which is why I enjoyed Winter Solider a lot.
    He is pretty much the antithesis of a wise cracking goofball.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    It's actually tracking slightly ahead of The Avengers numbers on Avengers' holiday weekend. Though, admittedly, not adjusted for inflation. I wish I could find stats of actual tickets sold.
    I tracked it against Avengers: Age of Ultron and even if it does those kinds of numbers for the rest of its run, it will easily cross $600 million domestic.

However, you're right. It is tracking more along the lines of the Avengers, so it is looking like $650 million is very much within reach.
    Previously: Deep_Sleeper. Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    Love the works of comic book artists - Stuart Immonen, Olivier Coipel, Kev Walker, Valerio Schiti, Esad Ribic, Jerome Opena and so many more great comic book artists

Mighty Member

I wonder if a Miles Morales Spider-Man could possibly dethrone BP? Otherwise no superhero film debut will come even close. The comics division is lucky MCU is raking in the cash. It's definitely propping up the subpar comic sales.